What do you think of the Phantom console?

Gryph

Infinium Labs

I'm a little confused about this whole system deal.

Its specs seem pretty nice but do you think they have a chance? I mean, it says it can play PC games but do you think it can play ANY game or just authorized games? Do they have an developers making games for that system....

I think this system will flop. I've read the comics on Penny Arcade that make fun of it but I want a more serious look at it.

And those flockers are suing Hard[OCP] for "defaming" them. What crap.

And the system looks like crap too.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasons its going to bomb

1. Massive Price

2. Lack of Licensing for games (no company will care, trust me)

3. you have to download the games (who wants to sit around and wait for that to happen?

4. you NEED broadband, 83% of internet users still have dialup beleive it or not

5. EVERYTHING is powered by a credit card, who wants to enter their credit card number every time they want a new game and such?

6. Crap system design, worse than the XBox, its HUGE, and the controller is even more bullshit than the original XBox Controller

7. the games will be HUGE, it has a small HDD, you run out of HDD space, no more games, you delete the game, you have to buy it again, ripoff, am i supposed to own like 20 systems? at the price they will be? Do you have any idea how many games I own for all my systems? try 200+ that would probably mean i would have to have 50+ systems

8. It has to always be online, sucking your bandwidth away, no online, no games, simple as that

That's really quite silly. I mean, if you're desperate to play PC games on your TV, you could just buy a TV card and a controller-to-usb-adaptor thingy *for a lot cheaper, I am guessing* and bingo, no need to buy/download new games online, you can just chuck the CD in.

hardcore techies like the folks at hardocp and penny arcade really irritate me sometimes. its like this "lifestyle" they call gaming is sacred, not to be marred by greed. boy, if i werent so lazy, id have news for them! i think the phantom is real, but i dont necessarily think it will end up being what they say.

i'd imagine that there will never be a phantom console, but that they their anti-piracy techniques will be licensed. this guy is making a thinly veiled attempt to sell his ideas to the big console makers. i, for one, hope this doesnt happen... dude is talking about encapsulation of the components n crap, basically, covering them in glue. say goodbye to modchips.

Edited by ovalprocess