Read this depressing article

Gryph

I always loved the gun con games at arcades which is the only reason I go anymore ;)

Just wait till extreme virtual reality comes out. Virtual Fighting and Virtual Scenarios where you can shoot your own friend :D

Unfortunately, we all forgotten about that nextgen stage where the player becomes the hero...or killer :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why my arcade rules, they have all the great US games, and they import all the great Japanese games, Its really sweet, i should show you guys some pictures i took of the inside, its pretty much some rich dude who loved video games started a hobby of arcade machines, so he started this arcade, and it rules, it rules SO much, that stars have shown up there such as eminem having his birthday party there (guess who kicked his ass in Soul Calibur?), i really appreciate what the guy is doing, it costs alot of money, and hes doing it for FUN, not money, so even if hes losing money (trust me, he isnt, theres always tons of people there) hes still going to keep the place running just because he loves arcade gaming so much

more power to him

it rules SO much, that stars have shown up there such as eminem having his birthday party there (guess who kicked his ass in Soul Calibur?)

I'd be scared to beat Eminem at anything. He'd probably send the G-Unit after me. :D But seriously, wow. You're a lucky biznatch to have a cool arcade like that. Where is this arcade located?

Interesting thread. I'm running out of time, but you guys *need* to read the following. http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/ext_column...p?f=176&t=34763

Arcade scene IS in fact dying in America. But the key point is, this is not true in places like Japan.

Reasons? Many argue that it's the availability of consoles. And others say we don't need to travel to the arcades just for competition when we have things like Xbox Live.

Sorry, these are simply not true; and they are not the reasons why the arcades are dying in america. The fact is that Japan with home consoles and all the other arguments, still, their arcades are thriving.

So, read that article I've provided -- please.

Interesting thread. I'm running out of time, but you guys *need* to read the following. http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/ext_column...p?f=176&t=34763

Arcade scene IS in fact dying in America. But the key point is, this is not true in places like Japan.

Reasons? Many argue that it's the availability of consoles. And others say we don't need to travel to the arcades just for competition when we have things like Xbox Live.

Sorry, these are simply not true; and they are not the reasons why the arcades are dying in america. The fact is that Japan with home consoles and all the other arguments, still, their arcades are thriving.

So, read that article I've provided -- please.

TimeZone was once a big company in australia now it has died me and many friends stop going to the arcades for the simple reason that we did not need too consoles were our reason and theres no way that everything that was said on that site is true.

why not create a poll and see what happens ?

The sad Truth...

Do i like Consoles or Arcades better?

Arcades

Which are more convient/which do i play more?

Consoles

Its just more convient to sit at home and play my Dreamcast (which has many Arcade greats ported to it more than perfectly)

If the arcade was just down the street, id be there every day, but it just isnt. I mean yeah theres MAME, but theres just that arcade feel to it, its hard to explain, no matter how fancy your PC, X Arcade sticks, trackballs and whatnot, its just never as good as the good ol arcade ;)

About beating Eminem, he acted kinda pissed for like 10 seconds (he didnt yell or anything, just the the typical AAAARRGGE!!!! you hear alot anyway hehe), but then he was cool, he didnt freak on me or anything

I'm just checking in for a minute (break time).

Some comments:

James and to anyone else: Yeah, I never meant that article to be taken as gospel, but he makes some good points which almost never gets mentioned when this topic surfaces.

The real question to why the arcades are dying in the U.S. is WHY? People continously say it's the consoles, and roms, or Xbox live, or whatever. And really, I strongly disagree.

Japan has all of this, yet the arcades are thriving there -- it's the polar opposite to the state america is in.

One major contributing factor of why it is still successful there is because you can literally find arcades in every few blocks. Which is a big plus, considering issues with travel is not a concern since pretty much anyone can take a few minutes to head to there local arcade and... *gasp* actually find competition there, pretty much any time of day. In the U.S., some states may have one or two major arcades (some none at all), and many have to invest a great deal of time and money to travel miles to even find the closest arcade.

I'll continue, depending on the responses, as soon as I'm done with my paper.

Gaming in the U.S. is STILL and underground activity in general. Hardcore gaming here is very scarce and most people, if they even play, play DDR, Pokemon, or whatever the moment dictates. In Japan, however, it is MUCH more common to be a hardcore gamer.

It may be that the acceptance of people who go to arcades often is LOWER in the U.S., where gaming is considered by the masses "geeky," than in Japan, where gaming is ACTUALLY natural to one's life, no one ever says that gaming is lame, because most everybody is a gamer overseas.

Culture is the difference. That is why arcades are dying in the U.S. Society doesn't consider it "cool" anymore. Sigh...

Anon.

Edited by AntiWinner22

Arcading over here around my area of Montreal is just dead. Noone goes to the arcade for skill anymore. It's more like, "I'm going to play this game for a while and own it up," then when I show up its all about skill and putting up with the brokeness of the game. Thats another topic. I still enjoy going to the arcade and wasting my money into the machines that bring joyment to the competition that knows what their doing. But overall, its just dead around here. Why go out and play it, when you can play it at home.

Gaming in the U.S. is STILL and underground activity in general. Hardcore gaming here is very scarce and most people, if they even play, play DDR, Pokemon, or whatever the moment dictates. In Japan, however, it is MUCH more common to be a hardcore gamer.

It may be that the acceptance of people who go to arcades often is LOWER in the U.S., where gaming is considered by the masses "geeky," than in Japan, where gaming is ACTUALLY natural to one's life, no one ever says that gaming is lame, because most everybody is a gamer overseas.

Culture is the difference. That is why arcades are dying in the U.S. Society doesn't consider it "cool" anymore. Sigh...

Anon.

I agree awhole lot AntiWinner, I also think its more of a culture difference then anything else. A hate these so called "hardcore" gamers that all they do is play Xbox live all day long. This generation doesn't know anything of gaming then it used to. Why fight someone face to face when you can do it online?

Killing time playing the arcades, psh. What happen to the real enjoyment of it? As far as I know, it died along time ago (around 2000-2001). No one skillful anymore, just scrubs.

Alright checking in, once again.

Um...I forgot to add that the article I've linked is a bit old. How old? I'm not sure, but just something to keep in mind. Still, the author raises many good points, and they are relevant.

Starbucks and coffee shops in general do quite well here. Why? We can just make our own coffee at home, so why would someone go to a store to *pay* for coffee at a more expensive price than when we can enjoy at the comfort of our own home. <---well, that's one of his examples actually, but worth a thought.

Personally, I think (like Antiwinner pointed out) has to do with differences in culture and the different attitudes toward gaming. This in turn influences things like how many places you'd find with arcade cabinets, etc.

Japan (I suppose stemming from their attitudes toward gaming) just has the market for making profits off arcades. Hence you find an arcade in like every block, which in turn equals to more exposure, drawing in more customers, thus better competition and more money the arcade businesses rake in.

Not so here... What you are into *gaming*?! You loser... go get a life! LOL

why not create a poll and see what happens ?

I don't have the option of adding a poll to this thread. And I don't think a new thread has to be opened just for a poll. You're a moderator, can't you add the poll? :D