Read this depressing article

Gryph

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just makes me wonder if idiots are running different industries today. It seems that companies are very very slow to adapt to technoligical changes.

It seems everyone thinks they could do business as usual while new capabilities leave them in the dust. It's true with the music industry, and its true for arcades.

But the thing thats even scarier is that all technological developements are driving people out the street and into the home. For instance,

"Honey, I don't want to go all the way to the movie theater to see that movie. Could you just download it off of the internet?"

or

"Man, I don't want to go to the store to buy that CD, I will just download it off the net" (At least for people who buy off the net, versus pirate)

Edited by Lestat

Now a days people go out to arcades to get an experience that you can't get at home.  If the arcade can't provide the experience, then why go.

what about the nostalgic experience? sure you can sit on your couch and play any classic arcade game on your console, but its for sure not the same. what we need are arcades with nothing but purely classic games. not only would the games be more entertaining, but they would skew towards an older audience. that means no more playing against 15 yr olds.

this is the sort of thing ive been tossing around in my head for awhile now. im just not so sure how commercially viable it is today considering that everytime i say to one of my friends "we should go do something", i get the response "ive got a big screen tv, 3 consoles, and a pc... why should i go anywhere?". to tell you the truth, thats a good flocking question.

edit: i didnt even see your last post when i wrote that second paragraph. weird.

edit 2: i think you are mistaken about the piracy thing tho, i dont think its an issue of laziness, its an issue of being cheap. i mean, who doesnt want everything for free? especially when you can have your movies, games, music, software... EVERYTHING that entertains us for free...

Edited by ovalprocess

I admit that I am a leecher but the thing is that I like many other people don't have enough time to go down to the arcades and play the games to get better like I and so many other people did with SF2 and MK....

Now that nextgen consoles have online play you can experience the high that you have when you go down to the arcades and kick the absolute sh*t out of a complete stranger :blink:

Now a days people go out to arcades to get an experience that you can't get at home.  If the arcade can't provide the experience, then why go.

what about the nostalgic experience? sure you can sit on your couch and play any classic arcade game on your console, but its for sure not the same. what we need are arcades with nothing but purely classic games. not only would the games be more entertaining, but they would skew towards an older audience. that means no more playing against 15 yr olds.

this is the sort of thing ive been tossing around in my head for awhile now. im just not so sure how commercially viable it is today considering that everytime i say to one of my friends "we should go do something", i get the response "ive got a big screen tv, 3 consoles, and a pc... why should i go anywhere?". to tell you the truth, thats a good flocking question.

edit: i didnt even see your last post when i wrote that second paragraph. weird.

edit 2: i think you are mistaken about the piracy thing tho, i dont think its an issue of laziness, its an issue of being cheap. i mean, who doesnt want everything for free? especially when you can have your movies, games, music, software... EVERYTHING that entertains us for free...

I agree with you, the free thing is a big thing. But companies are thinking of making straight to download movies for a cost. And Itunes or whatever its called has been a huge success.

I know that is a weak point. But Online dating, that is laziness to the max. Where is the thrill of the hunt when your hammared at 2 am, and your just trying to get some?

As for having free entertainment. Here is my question, when was the last time you enjoyed a game. I mean enjoyed it. I haven't finished 1/100th of the games I downloaded. Guarenteed if I payed for them I would have. Its weird that now we have all this free stuff at our finger tips, but even if we do get it, we never use it, or enjoyt it for that matter.

In case your wondering, it was Castlevania for the PS2 I finished. Game was great and enjoyable.

I know that is a weak point.  But Online dating, that is laziness to the max.  Where is the thrill of the hunt when your hammared at 2 am, and your just trying to get some?

lol!!! i guess thats when the lazy folk turn to cam-whores.

i have a modded xbox, so i basically dont pay for any of the games for it. for a long time i didnt finish any of them, but i really think its because i got burned out. when you get to play absolutely everything, good and bad, they all start to seem the same. stale.

until last weekend, that is. i found a japanese copy of Breakdown, and man, its a refreshing experience. if none of you have the means to get the import rip, get it when it comes to the states. i imagine it'll get poor reviews, but trust me, its quite good.

edit: also, when the games are free, theres no need to find a sense of value in them. when you pay 50$ for a new game, you'll play it to the end just to feel like you got your moneys worth (sometimes even if its a terrible, terrible game). in that respect, i look at piracy as a sort of free rental service. i usually play a game once of twice, and if it doesnt grab me, then it goes bye-bye (which means that 99% of games go out the window).

Edited by ovalprocess

hey oval u made me look bad in the other board, but its cool I sould have read. Oh yeah Breakdown is a great game. It is the best game on my xbox right now.

Anyway I live in Dallas and my friend owns an arcade that turns a profit. He has almost every fighting game known to man in there. He has GGXX,GGXXreload,SS5,Kof2003,SVC,JJBA(jojo's),ROTD,SF3rd strike and everything else. All those fighting games combined donot equal the profit of DDR. He uses Benami(is that spelled right?) games to keep his arcade open and host tourneys on fighting games weekly for the hardcore fighting fans. He also has Initial D:Arcade stage and games like Gun survivor:Code veronica. I think in an arcade U need balance. I love fighting games,but they will not keep an arcade open.

Man, I have only heard negative things about Arcade gaming and how it is tanking. I have been noticing the exact opposite!

Every summer, I go to Cal Poly (a local college) to go to a program called Upward Bound. In this program, you meet new people and stuff.

Anyway, every lunch period, me and my friends go the arcade on campus. It is usually PACKED with people. Some playing DDR, some playing Air Hockey. Most, however playing fighting games.

My friends and I EASILY spend about $3 dollars each lunch period. That amounts to a pretty penny for the owner of the arcade. I also see most people, if they lose to a friend, they just chug in more money just to defeat him. I, personally, have spent $5 just to beat one of my arrogant friends, with him spending $3 to defeat me.

I have seen somewhat of a resurgence in Arcades. A local arcade by the beach is always thriving and booming, with no exception on weekdays. I am even going to start my own arcade shop. If no money comes in, then it will be for my personal enjoyment as well.

That is my point of view on this situation. Thought I should say something that hasn't been said yet.

Anon.

Edited by AntiWinner22