What's your favorite arcade Emulator?

cosmic_lord

What's your favorite multi arcade Emulator? (Why?)  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Again, nobody is giving much of a reason for liking MAME... so I'm just sticking with my assumption that most people used it first and stuck with it... later becoming stubborn to the prospect of switching.

It's really not right to say that Nebula and Kawaks wouldn't have existed without MAME. For one most obvious reason, Nebula and Kawaks were both done in Visual C++ instead of mingw. That means the only thing they would have taken from MAME would have been the drivers, and as much as you want to disagree, they would have figured out the drivers in time just like the MAME guy did. Hell, even if no emulator had been invented up to this point, someone would make one in the future. There will always be somebody to figure something out if no one else does... so you can't assume things like that. Although I think it would be safe to assume there'd be no Nebula or Kawaks if people weren't able to dump arcade boards :lol:.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the reason i like mame.

Note that although this is mame32, i do not use the gui version of mame.

One of the things i like about mame is that it supports different configurations for each game. I just make a nice batch file for each game i use and double click that and launch the game with minimal fuss.

mame kof2003 -joystick -resolution1024x768x32 -effect scan50

now say i play another game. instead of launching the emu, and going into settings and selecting different settings, i have another batch file

mame ddonpach -joystick -resolution 800x600x32 -effect scan 25

I like that about mame.

Mame, being opened source, i can add as much or as little as i want to the emu. I dont play midway games, so i delete the diver for them, and compile my own build. Mame is about what you want on it. As many games, or as little games as you want. Gui or command line.

I like all emulators, but i do also like mame as an "all-in-one" solution, i dont like having much clutter on my pc, so one emu that does everything without having to switch emus is a nice bonus for me.

If all i played was neo geo, then i would use one of the other emus, as mame would have no point.

And mame still is the most accurate emulator available.

Kawaks doesn't support different control configs for each game, (as far as I know, I really haven't used it except the 1.48 dev to play kof2k3) but Nebula does quite nicely. You make one file for a specific config. My nickname is Fuzzy... so I make one called Fuzzy's King of Fighters (1) and another one called Fuzzy's King of Fighters (2)... and at the control config screen I can select what config I want (for any game, I could load my KOF controls up for street fighter games if I wanted to, but that would suck.) and then just hit load. I really only use this when I get a new game, because I set up a set of controls and stick with them.

As far as different video configs go, you can't beat Nebula. Nebula supports a lot more video features, I mean I have it set to use my video card, but sometimes I use the HQ2x plugin or one of the others. I really have no use for the Direct 3D one because my video card looks better anyway. :lol:

I keep all my Emulators in one folder on my desktop called "Emulators", and on my desktop I have shortcuts to most of the Emulators I use. It doesn't get at all cluttered... as you can see...

http://angelfire.com/extreme3/uda/shot.jpg

http://angelfire.com/extreme3/uda/shot2.jpg

I've used Nebula, Kawaks, NeoRageX and MAME. I don't like Kawaks much, the graphics aren't nearly as good as Nebula, it has much less video plugins and such. The sound gets fuzzy a lot (as well as the graphics) and you hav eto pause the emulation every time you exit it, which gets really annoying. As far as MAME goes, I'd keep it around if I ever played pong and crap like that... but I don't, so I don't need it.

EDIT Next time resize your pics so they are smaller in file and frame size.

James

Edited by james

Again, nobody is giving much of a reason for liking MAME...

Do we have to continually justify our emulator preference for you? Why is it so hard to understand that some of us prefer the accurate emulation mame provides, the wide variety of other games you can play with it, and don't care about any supposed performance hit because we have machines that can handle it.

It's really not right to say that Nebula and Kawaks wouldn't have existed without MAME.  For one most obvious reason, Nebula and Kawaks were both done in Visual C++ instead of mingw.  That means the only thing they would have taken from MAME would have been the drivers, and as much as you want to disagree, they would have figured out the drivers in time just like the MAME guy did.  Hell, even if no emulator had been invented up to this point, someone would make one in the future.  There will always be somebody to figure something out if no one else does... so you can't assume things like that.  Although I think it would be safe to assume there'd be no Nebula or Kawaks if people weren't able to dump arcade boards :lol:.

its not as bad as youre making it sound. MAME and everything that comes with it was and has always been a team effort (drivers, core, etc.). also the authors of other emus (old or new) alone contribute to MAME one way or another, and of course dumpers.

if you still didnt understand, MAME is a framework, plus arcade hardware information repository for all who wants it (for the people, by the people, to the people as one may put it). its a free thing so its not like just because something from it was taken will automatically sound like ripping others work.

lastly, i wish you can at least be considerate of others who are bandwidth-challenged.

My PC can handle MAME fine. But it doesn't look as good as Nebula for one thing... and has about half the features for another.

I'm bandwidth challenged myself.

MAME doesn't have emulation that's any more accurate than the other emus... in any aspect other than the fact that MAME runs pacman and the games that weren't on systems (i.e. CPS-x etc.).

Generally speaking, Mame is the best. Yes we could sit here all day and nitpick that "this has this" or "that has that" etc but when it comes down to it, Mame still comes out on top. I like being able to play kof2003 then be able to play a game of classic Double Dragon all on one emu. I like the others too but they just don't offer the versatility that mame does.