What's your favorite arcade Emulator?

cosmic_lord

What's your favorite multi arcade Emulator? (Why?)  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What's your favorite multi-arcade emu? Please give a detailed description as to why. One of these days I'll figure out what the hell people see attractive in MAME. MAME note: for this poll, disregard the fact that MAME plays any other systems other than CPS-1, CPS-2, and Neo-Geo... because this is to compare the new game experience in different emulators... I don't care that MAME emulates pong because that's irrelevant.

Anyway, as for me, I like Nebula because it has the best graphics out of all three emulators. It has more features, like video plug-ins and a better macro system (even if you don't use the macro system it's still there so that makes Nebula better) and unlike Kawaks, you don't have to 'Pause Emulation' every flocking time you exit the emu... that annoys the hell out of me. Also, before I load up a game in Kawaks, the image seems to be a blurred and messed up picture of the last thing i watched in Windows Media Player :) weird.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Nebula all the same reasons as you do. I don't hate or even dislike the others. I just have a stronger preference for Nebula.

Yea, but to you and the rest of ppl who see this, do you get that thing with kawaks where when you oepn it up, instead of a black screen, it's kind of like a messed up view of what you last watched in media player? Maybe it's just me.

:)

Stupid thing. I think my computer is flocked up... if I have Media player open with a video running and I open up microsoft word or anything, the white part (tan for me with my desktop theme, it's easier on the eyes) is gone and I can see straight through to my video. it's annoying.

You should have specified - ie instead of arcade had "cps/2/Neo Geo" emulator, or had alot more choices.

My favourite arcade emulator is probably Zinc (Sony ZN-1/System 12 games), because it is fast and runs some cool games (like Rival Schools! :)...Strider 2...Battle Arena Toshinden 2...)....theres even a chance it will emulate Tekken Tag Tournament on its final release.

Also, when I emulate cps/etc... games, I usually use "NeoRageX", but thats only because I've grown used to the startup screen and it looks funky. But I have grown to using Kawaks more, because I can use 2*sai filtering on it on my very average PC without much slowdown, but for Nebula I cant use any filtering at all without it slowing down rediculously. MAME is just too much of a beast for my pc to handle as well.

Also, anyone with a decent PC should check out "Nebula Model 2" - it has support for various Sega Model2b games such as Sonic The Hedgehog Championship and The Last Bronx.

What's your favorite multi-arcade emu?  Please give a detailed description as to why.  One of these days I'll figure out what the hell people see attractive in MAME.  MAME note: for this poll, disregard the fact that MAME plays any other systems other than CPS-1, CPS-2, and Neo-Geo... because this is to compare the new game experience in different emulators... I don't care that MAME emulates pong because that's irrelevant.

the fact is, MAME is a priceless framework (being open-sourced, portable to developers and accurate emulation). without it, i doubt Nebula, Kawaks, FBA or even NeorageX would exist until today. with its striving accuracy it is also best suited for a blazing fast (preferably current) PC user that wants an all-in-one wonder emu.

FBA is a close derivative since it is not restricted to CPS/Neogeo hardware and being open-sourced, and having the near (if not the same) accuracy level as MAME while still being fast. it also emulates Cave/Toaplan hardware and other oldies like Superman, Prehistoric Isle (1), etc. next version is announced to have support for Psikyo hardware based games (Gunbird, Tengai, etc)

if i have a better PC i would try Nebula as well as i want to see PGM emulation as well (though i think most of those games graphically stink).

theyre mostly 2D arcade emus. i have no say on 3D since my PC isnt capable of playing them.