Why does MAME suck?

cosmic_lord

Why does MAME suck?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Felt like making this because I hate MAME... and I'm tired of all the MAME fanboys saying that people who hate MAME hate it because they have a sucky PC. I have an uber PC... MAME runs without trouble on my PC, but I absolutely hate it. It has no advantage that other emus don't have, and it lacks things like macros and a good interface, external rom dats, etc.

People who like MAME say "It runs 4000 games, that makes it own!" But how many games do these people play on it? Probably around 100 tops, and that would be for collectors. Nobody plays those old obsolete games anyway... everyone that is serious about emulation plays things from the NES up. As far as arcades go, people play CPS-1 and 2, Neo-Geo, Zn-1 and 2, and the other major systems. That's why Mr. X and El Semi were smart enough to not include all the old pong and donkey kong games, no one plays them.

Anyway, vote and be merry.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only reason i love mame is because it is more user friendly than kawaks and i like the ability to be able to do dip switches in kaillera..theres also other stuff too but im too lazy to name them..and what do you mean by it lacks macros? you mean being able to have one button set to commands like a+b and c+d? or do you mean 1 button moves? and also..mame also supports cps-1 and 2, neo-geo, and im not sure about zn-1 or 2..and i dont notice my mame hogging up memory either..so i dont see why its so bad..

Edited by ilike2l33ch

mame is stupid because it's so damn hard to configure it

and whats up with all that extra menu on the left side?

KAWAKS FOR ME thank you :blink:

only reason i love mame is because it is more user friendly than kawaks

LOL EASIER to use than KAWAKS?

I had to POST a thread for "HOW TO CONFIGURE CONTROLS on mame"

on the technical support section of 1emulation.com

i'll stick with kawaks

all the stuff to configure crap is right there on the top screen :blink:

I don't really know how to use MAME properly, so I stick to Kawaks and NeorageX for neo-geo & cps1+2 games, BUT MAME plays alot more than just these games and "old obsolete games".

Go to http://www.system16.com... I am sure that many of you know about this site (this site is affiliated with the dude who is dumping SFIII, etc... probably the most famous guy in the emulation world), it is an arcade museum. It lists dozens and dozens of arcade machines and, something you will notice is mame plays games for most of the systems up until 1996-7...this includes games like "dead or alive", "lethal enforcers 2" the "tekken" games (or some of them), etc.. etc... you don't see the "user friendly emulators" doing THAT (although to be fair there is a "nebula model 2" emulator which emulates Sega Model 2 arcade games).

I have respect for the things MAME can do, I just steer clear of it when I can!

(one vote for 'I don't know what the hell the problem is')

I really can't understand this animosity towards mame.

I think it is pretty easy to use. And if you don't like the mame32 interface, use the command line version of mame with a front end. There are literally dozens of front ends to choose from.

As for difficulties in configuring the controls... I never had any problems with my x-arcade stick or usb ps2 adapter with a ps2 controller. Press tab while in the game, and all the controller settings are right there.

As for the inability to add new games... It's a minor annoyance. And if you are experienced enough to write a driver for a game that isn't supported yet, compiling your own version of mame is not that big a deal. Anyway, it's easy enough to find unofficial compiled versions, if you don't want to delve into compiling.

As for mame supporting a lot of games people don't play... Sure. But other than having far too many mahjong games, I really can't count that as a fault. There are tons of classics in there that bring back memories. I remember playing things like Pac Man, Qix, Tempest, Star Wars, etc in the arcades as a kid, and being able to play them all again through mame is great. But, maybe I'm just showing my age.

As for mame being slower than other emulators... yeah, if you say so. I haven't had any problems on my machine.