Me and a friend about to do something awsome

Oh by the way, i forgot to mention how we have it hooked up, we actually have the driver thing flashed onto a chip, in a cart (we had to buy an empty chip) and we used some game that had two chips in it (i think castlevania, i dont remember) and relaced the 2nd chip, with wires going to the HDD

so it loads the driver thing first then loads the HDD, or attempts to anyway

but we dont even know if thats what its doing, if anyone knows how to monitor exactly what an NES is doing with some soldering to a PC or something, that would help alot!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MASSIVE UPDATE:

Throwing out the HDD idea

Since i havent been sleeping because ive been working on this so much, i missed this, thanks to Dark Pulse for pointing this out to me

Instead of wasting time with a HDD, why not just use a big Flash chip? Like 256MB or 512MB?

Ill have a small flash chip for some kind of driver (if ill even need it anymore) and the Big chip will hold the massive ROM!!

Holy crap, how could i have missed this? I need to catch up on me sleep!!! (its been like 9 days of practically no sleep because of this hehe)

Im really excited now, ill bbl and tell you how it works out!!

uh oh i have really bad news!!

I went out and bought some flashable chips, a 256MB and a 512MB

Well turns out im not going to get anywhere farther in this project because my Flasher doesnt support chips that large, probably because its ancient.

Does anyone know where can i get one that supports 256/512 for cheap?, or at least, not TOO expensive?

uh oh i have really bad news!!

I went out and bought some flashable chips, a 256MB and a 512MB

Well turns out im not going to get anywhere farther in this project because my Flasher doesnt support chips that large, probably because its ancient.

Does anyone know where can i get one that supports 256/512 for cheap?, or at least, not TOO expensive?

Maybe u could use a Flash memory stick from Best Buys. I've seen some for 20$. I doubt they would get any cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea... Not sure if it would work, but...

A cartridge connected to a parallel cable (or usb or serial or something..) you could have it connected so that the pc recieves signals from the nes (which should already be emulated in NES emulators, maybe?) upon recieving the signal, the pc could send back the rom data the nes ask for.

Just a thought though...

Here's an idea... Not sure if it would work, but...

A cartridge connected to a parallel cable (or usb or serial or something..)  you could have it connected so that the pc recieves signals from the nes (which should already be emulated in NES emulators, maybe?) upon recieving the signal, the pc could send back the rom data the nes ask for.

Just a thought though...

What if the PC sends the wrong data ? or Will the Nes even be able to read the data like that?