Me and a friend about to do something awsome

Well me and my friend where thinking the other day, wouldnt it be cool if we could somehow have every single NES game on one cartridge somehow?

Then we got to thinking, if we bought some crappy 23 Cent game (Mario/Duck Hunt combo...it rules actually...but its cheap :lol: ) we could rip the chips out, flash new chips with some kind of drivers and menu software, and cut most of the cartisdge out and run some wires to a HDD!!!! We would get some old 500MB HDD (because they would all fit haha!!)

i mean really, when you think about it, it wouldnt be that hard, weve flashed stuff onto chips before, weve programmed for the NES before, i mean why not? where going to have to do major adapting and software writing, but hell, it HAS to be possible somehow!!!

i even have a AC to the Standard power cord (forget the name) that fits HDDs!!! (i have no idea where it came from hehe, i think it was from my External HDD making kit or something)

Even if this turns out to be a waste of time..it was 8 bucks for the HDD, 23cents for the game, and the rest of it we didnt even pay for

plus its something to keep us busy :P

Ill post updates here on how its going, right now where trying to figure out if we can reflash the existing chips or if where going to have to buy new ones (or even try a different game because i know some of them where hella different when you opened em)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably wouldn't even need a 500 mb drive to fit all the games. Its an interesting idea but I think it would be better for pc. God knows how many people have the nes system still alive...and if they wanted one, it would be hard to find a good hardware unit.

hehe i have like 6 NES's that all work (except one of them wont play Revision 1 games)

anyway...

RANDOM UPDATE NUMBER 1!!!!

We wired the NES straight to the HDD and it makes the HDD spin and look for stuff but theres no way to tell if its actually looking/finding anything, it could just be telling it to do random things without even knowing it

Wow, I can't believe your that bold to pop open your systems and tinker around with the goods inside. I never could do that stuff...due to a circumstance which I do not wish to discuss ;)

Edited by NeoMaster

ok ok heres update number 2!!!

we make the bigass huge ROM image thats pretty much a menu that picks the games, we figure it would be easier to do if it was one big thing instead of like 2000 roms and it picked an image, that would be like a system emulating itself and wouldnt really work

Update number 3!!

We have been analyzing the driver for the HDD for windows and trying to convert it to NES code, also weve tryed making drivers from scratch

so far weve gone through 47 different variations of the driver, and nothings working :lol:

we have everything done except getting the NES to recognize the HDD, once that works we should be set!!

Were thinking maybe re-wiring the HDD to the NES might work, but where pretty sure we have the cables matched up right

Update 5:WOOHOO SOMETHING IS WORKING!!!....I think...

anyway, on the latest version of the driver thing (its not really a driver...i dont really know what to call it) The NES accesses the HDD!!! It kinda opens the HDD and runs the program, but it takes REALLY long, and it runs all pixelly and chunkey

Now we have to figure out, Is this driver right and the HDD just isnt getting the data to the NES fast enough? Or is the driver just off and needs tweaking? or some other problem?

ugh...headaches, headaches......