Timezones

Agozer

Explain a few things to me:

Does GMT mean Greenwich(sp?) Main Time?

EST = Eastern Seaboard Time?

Let's say that someone's time is 9:00 PM eastern. What places have their clocks at 9:00 PM at that moment?

I'm GMT +2 hours, so does that mean I'm 2 hours east from Greenwich?

GMT = Grenwich MEAN Time...

EST = Eastern Standard Time.

Grenwich is a little city in England that invented the clock or something, because that city uses the "mean time" for the world. That means, that anything on its lattitude is the same timezone (and likewise to anybody on the EST latitude).

Look at an atlas or a globe. There will obviously be the horizontal lines (equator, tropic of cancer, etc...) but there are also some vertical lines. These are the timezones. Each zone is one hour difference. So if you are +2 to grenwich mean time, you are two lines away from the LATITUDE of Grenwich (nothing to do with the longditude). <and if its 9pm est, and est is +2 to GMT, GMT would be 7pm)

Also, if you follow all the lines to their point, you will notice that they all converge at the artic/antarctic. This is why there are 6months of summer + 6months of winter in these places, because the timezones all intersect. The summer 6 months is actually one long "day" and the winter six months is one long "night".

Edited by random guy