Atomiswave vs Naomi

Wizard

I've decided to take a look at these arcade boards. Seeing how we will be seeing KOF on the Atomiswave in the near future. I'll give out some stuff on it :D A Comparison. We all know that the Naomi board is a souped up Dreamcast right?

Naomi Specs:

CPU : Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)

Graphic Engine : PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)

Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)

Main Ram : 32 megs

Main Memory : 32 MByte

Graphic Memory : 16 MByte

Sound Memory : 8 MByte

Media : ROM Board (maximum size of 172MBytes) / GD-Rom

Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)

Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec

Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec

Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Now the Atomiswave is said to be someone more powerful, but I beg to differ. Based on the Naomi and Dreamcast Cast specs.

CPU : Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)

Graphic Engine : PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)

Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)

Main Ram : 32 megs

Main Memory : 16 MByte

Graphic Memory : 16 MByte

Sound Memory : 8 MByte

Media : ROM Board

Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)

Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec

Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec

Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

--

Now look closely. Notice how the Atomiswave has less ram then the Naomi? I've had high hopes for the Atomiswave. Now it concerns me. Why did Sammy simply downgraded the Naomi with less RAM? The Atomiswave seems nothing more then a Dreamcast with twice the VRAM. Will we see arcade perfect conversions to the PS2? Possibly? Of course the only reason I'm doing this is too see what can Sammy put out on it's hardware with GG and KOF. GGXX was on Naomi GD-Rom, GGXX#Reloaded is on Atomiswave. Just in case someone says something. Anyone else's views?

This is weird...why would they downgrade it? There has to be a reason. I mean, I'm sure games for both NAOMI and Atomiswave systems have the same develoment cycles.

Does anyone know if people are still making games for NAOMI, or are they just making games for Atomiswave?

This is weird...why would they downgrade it?

Money. By cutting the RAM in half, they cut costs which allow them to sell the games to arcades in poorer countries and still make a profit. I believe Sammy stated they could make a profit on as little as 10 yen per play.

I'll dig up a link.

EDIT:

Ah! Here it is!

Edited by El_Pollo_Loco