Do You Watch Anime?

Yay or Nay?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My favourites in a rough order of favourite-ness:

Excel Saga

Ranma 1/2

Kodomo No Omocha (Child's toy)

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rurouni Kenshin

Maison Ikkoku (by Rumiko Takahashi - the woman (???) who wrote ranma 1/2 - anyone who has seen Ranma will know why I am surprised a female wrote it)

Marmalade Boy

Love Hina

Tenchi Muyo

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Cowboy Bebop

Cardcaptor Sakura (Shut up :D )

Slayers

Noir

Also, my favourite movies (not counting movies made of series')

Castle of Cagliostro

Ghost In The Shell

Ninja Scroll

Battle Angel Alita

It's so hard to choose! I probably missed some important ones in there. I would probably have put "astro boy" and the Macross series/robotech in there if I had seen them in years, but I haven't. I've found this one crazy anime comic in which a guy suddenly finds this naked chick with a crush on him in place of his right hand. It's called, "midori no hibi" and the "scanlations" are here

ps if you haven't seen the top 3 animes in that list - what are you doing? Those 3 are the funniest anime series' I've seen full stop.

Edited by random guy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sad about buying anime, because when I buy one dvd, I feel like I have to complete the series :(

Which is why the only dvds I have are Animatrix, Love Hina, Tenchi, FLCL, and Outlaw Star :P

edit- There are about 2 ways that the hand-girl anime can go.

GUESS THEM BOTH AND YOU GET A COOKIE :D

Edited by Soundboz

Heh, since i didnt post what i liked before;

Tv Series/Movies/OVA

Witch Hunter Robin

Macross (Any one)

X

Ranma 1/2

Platalabor (sp?)

Ninja Scroll TV

Naruto

Love Hina

Neon Genesis Evangelion

RaXphalon (sp?)

Inyuasha

Final Fantasy Unlimited

Cowboy Bebop

DNAngel

Furi Kuri

Jin-Roh

Akira

Oh! My Goddess (owns so much)

Last Exile

Theres a handful I haven't mentioned. But its kinda hard to remember all your favorites ;D

Why do some of you care of what gets "mainstream?" Does that make the anime less of great?

For example, Cowboy Bebop is everywhere now. Cowboy Bebop is synonimous for great anime. So, since it is well known, does it suck more? I don't believe so.

Anyway, does anyone know if GunGrave will come out in Eng Dub? I like Eng Dub more because I pay more attention to the screen and artwork and story, rather that the letters at the bottom of my screen.

Anon.

I certainly don't care. Anime is anime to me. If it leaves me hanging for more, then its good in my book. Mainstream is just an appel in the US. If its "mainstream" it must be good. Heh, I didn't like Big-O then, and I'm not going to like it now just because its in english. Check ADV Films or Pioneer if GunGrave licensed yet. I want to see an english, not so horrible, dub of it.

I buy my animes off of ebay because most of the stuff is from like china and they bootleg like crazy, which is fine if the anime has alreay been translated into english :D but i try to keep most of my anime on cd-rs and stuff.

The "mainstream" issue is a good point. But you guys have it the wrong way round. I don't see "pokemon" "dragonball Z" or "yugi-oh" on any of those lists, because, well, they are crap (actually dragonball z is pretty good once you watch about 10 episodes in a row just to get some sense of plot continuation!) It is these titles that are considered "mainstream" anime titles. Just because they are popular doesn't make them good.

Another thing, though, is that when these "mainstream" episodes get dubbed, they lose alot of the original meaning. To take an example, in the US-dubbed verion of "Sailor Moon" Malachite is male and Zoichite is female and they are a pseudo-couple. In the Japanese version Malachite and Zoichite are active lovers, and whats more, they are both male. There are also a lot of dirty jokes that get completely removed from "Dragonball Z" (in the original Japanese version Master roshi (I think) is called "Mr Pervert".

The point is, when anime becomes mainstream it gets bastardised. Who here perfers watching anime with japanese subtitles to the english dubbed versions?

yeah, stupid kiddie ones like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Monster Rancher is what pretty much fuks it up.

I usually catch things when they come out on fansub anyways.

I hate english subs though. Btw, I didn't know Cowboy Bebop was mainstream?

I checked all the major Anime distributers websites (ADV, Manga, Bandai... etc.). Then don't have GunGrave listed. I think it will come out though because there a whole lot of bootlegs out there for it. Why would they make so many bootlegs for something that isn't going to sell? :D

English Dubs on anime that are brought overseas to be popular are horrible. Sailor Moon, DBZ, Pokemon are great examples of this.

However, the Eng Dubs of animes that aren't brought for the $ revenue have great. Blood, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Trigun, CB, Hellsing (some of it... :P) are examples are that.

Anon.

My favorite series:

Rurouni Kenshin

Berserk (can't believe no one's seen this)

Cowboy Bebop

Noir (but, wasn't able to complete the series)

Yeah, not a whole lot -- I need more exposure. Still, there are a few others which I can't recall at the moment.

Oh, and I always prefer Japanese subtitles...if it can be helped.

Edit note: Also, thanks to the person who posted the link to Midori no Hibi. If anyone knows any other great sites, post 'em. :D

Edited by Captain FuKu