Playing PSX games without a modchip?

YoungHov

I downloaded a PSX bootdisc from a hub and it says you can burn this and swap this disc with your burned copy and play PSX games without a modchip.  IS that true because I've heard that u need a modchip to play burned PSX games no matter what?

Not neccessarily. If the boot disc you downloaded boots w/o problems, yes you can play burned/imports(If you are using NTSC jap) by swapping discs but will need teh top open when you swap and keeping the spin button down firmly. The bootdisc should tell when to swap discs.

If the boot disc does not boot then buy a real boot disc.(maybe from a local import game store or from here http://www.ps2cover.com/breakerprousa.html )

• 2 weeks later...
no it doesnt work, you have to buy a boot disc, burning a copy of a boot disc is the same as burning a copy of a game, it wont work

Actually, there's a swap method where all you need is an original game. All you need is an actual game and you're golden. If I find the method, I'll post it.

"Some PSX have a BIOS installed which prevents playback of importgames. (f.e.: a PAL-game on a NTSC-PSX) To bypass this problem you start with an original disk (with the lid open and the door button pressed) until the black SONY-logo appears. Then you have to remove the disk (while it is rotating) and put in the import (or the backup of the import). Now you can close the lid and start playing."

This is the boot method. Just use a backup in place of the import. It may take a few tries. I never really messed with it that much, as I had a game enhancer. But I had a friend that was able to get it to work every time without fail.

yep, thats the old method, theres also another method for the newer PSX's but it requires like 4 swaps and is a pain in the ass, i like my boot method (its stickied) the best, also it DOES work for 2 disc games because it puts the save on the second disc in all games i found out, so you just turn it off, use the trick to boot the second disc, and your set