King Of Fighters 2003 (kof2003.zip) News III

James

Is it possible to run this game in MacMAME by renaming the roms to kof98n (as is the case w/ kof2k1 and 2k2)? I have renamed all the files to match kof98n and all I get is a solid green screen (not the MVS boot screen). When I reset the game it remains frozen on the cross-hatch test screen. Anyone else having this problem? (I'm guessing that the problem lies in the p1 and p2 files being split and rejoined for this rom release) Are Mac NeoGeo users just screwed by the pointless MAME liscense once again?

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to run this game in MacMAME  by renaming the roms to kof98n (as is the case w/ kof2k1 and 2k2)?  I have renamed all the files to match kof98n and all I get is a solid green screen (not the MVS boot screen).  When I reset the game it remains frozen on the cross-hatch test screen.  Anyone else having this problem?  (I'm guessing that the problem lies in the p1 and p2 files being split and rejoined for this rom release) Are Mac NeoGeo users just screwed by the pointless MAME liscense once again?

the rom is still split p1 and p2 why would they be joined ?

I'm sorry, I didn't really make that clear. I was under the impression that the p roms were originally in four parts - p1, p2 and a two part p3 rom. Anyway, back to my original question - is anyone else having this problem? Should the game work w/ the rom renaming? Do I simply have a bad set? Thanks in advance for any help : D

Edited by capt. sensible

you will not be able to play KOF2k3 on MacMAME because KOF2k3 uses a special banking technique that only the emu that came with the ROM can play it (just like Metal Slug 5 did). it is currently being figured out as i type this but more than likely it would only benefit Windows MAME users.

rom renaming more than likely wont cut it.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Carnicero; you've been very helpful.

I got the thing to work now, but this mame thing is honestly quite overwhelming. There's so many various options, and for most of them I don't even know what it's for, so I don't even bother messing around with the options since I don't want to mess anything up and not even know what I did.

So far, the only thing I can do is 1) use that DOS-prompt command in a half-assed manner, 2) config. buttons to my gamepad, and 3) change between American, Japanese, European versions. Oh well...hopefully I'll build up my knowledge base. Thanks.

You're welcome. You get used to MAME once you use it enough. Soon the only problem you'll have is remembering your zip names. Fortunately, my ROM collection is small enough where I can use it easy. That's why people resort to a GUI-based MAME: so they can manage massive collections easier.

A last tip:

go to http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/

Click the MAME section on the left navbar and you'll find out a bit more than the included readme docs will tell you.

i stuck the boss bios in my rom folder, but nothing new is happening, do i need to do something else? i read all the prev posts already

EDIT: Ok, i figured it out, i should stop staying up so late, can't think at this kind of hour :lol:

Edited by stealthcat