Emulation for and on Dreamcast.

I think in October or November it won't be FREE anymore. So I am not really sure. I however never have been online with my Dreamcast... not sure :wink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can still play online although Sega has shut up shot on most of it's games. I'm pretty sure you can still play Quake III, Phantasy Star Online, some unreleased (warez :wink: ) bowling title and a couple of other games. And it's free if you use a free ISP.

Hopefully someone will figure out a way to get the games running on homebrew servers because it would be excellent if you could play PSO with your friends for free and without the worry of hackers or anything like that

Not to mention there could maybe be some kind of online support for emulators which would also rock.

• 3 weeks later...
Well you can still play online although Sega has shut up shot on most of it's games.

is there any sites where i can find out how to get my DC online?

do u still have to pay for the call though in the uk?

what about a n64 emu?

is there one out at the moment

No but there have been plenty of fake ones. I think we will see GBA and N64 emulators as they are possible, despite the lack of RAM, but it won't be for a while yet.

is there any sites where i can find out how to get my DC online?  

do u still have to pay for the call though in the uk?

You can still get online pretty easy. Just plug your modem into the phone line and get a browser. I think you can still send away for a free Dreamkey 3.0 browser from sega Europe but I'm not sure. Dreamkey 3.0 also comes with Phantasy Star Online v2.0 so you could get it that way. If you can't you can use http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/xdp/xdp.html. It's a homebrew browser with lots of added extras and works just as well.

If you are on dialup then you can use your own ISP with both Dreamkey and the homebrew browser. It's just a case of putting in your ISP phone number and username and pass, very simple. If you are using broadband then you will need to get a broadband adaptor and they don't come cheap.

This is a list of games that are still working online: http://dcog.netfirms.com/

Hopefully at some point there will be a way of getting good homebrew servers going. It would be nice if sega released the protocols to work the modem because then nobody would have to worry about the servers going offline and it's not like Sega would be losing money from that. Anyway that won't happen until they stop making new DC games in Japan (not that it's likely to ever happen even when they stop selling games :cry: )

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the great info, got questions though.

About that PS1 emulator, how does does it compare in terms of performance to an actual PS1? You mentioned something about frames but I didn't get it. Also, is it able to play copies or only originals?

I know what they are, the little system with the cartriage that you had to take out and blow a couple of times for it to work(ahh..the good old days) yeah i got a tutorial and dcemualtion and it worked perfect but i just cant get the game genie to work, i see the screen with the codes but i dont know how to activate them(how do you?) and if i got that to work then i sould be able to get any other bootleg to work? or do i have to go and reset the memory? because when i loaded the nester rom on my dc it asked for me to set the clock and i dont know if it was you who stated when it asks you for the clock then it means that the internal memory was reset.