Can some one explain M rom, P rom, S rom stuff?

Gryph

What's this P rom, S rom, V rom, C rom, and whatever else rom stuff? What do each do? I've been reading about that since I came here but never understood it. I now they are functional parts of ROMs but I don't know anymore than that.

encrypted pcb boars(the big versions of neo geo roms kof99 and later) don't use s1 roms. Only the decrypted sets(which are bootleg) use them

Yeah, usually the S1 data is stored on one of the P roms (or sometimes M1).

encrypted pcb boars(the big versions of neo geo roms kof99 and later) don't use s1 roms. Only the decrypted sets(which are bootleg) use them

from what i understand of this the s1 data is in the c roms

this is in the mame source :

/* The Encrypted Boards do _not_ have an s1 rom, data for it comes from the Cx ROMs */

from what i understand of this the s1 data is in the c roms

this is in the mame source :

/* The Encrypted Boards do _not_ have an s1 rom, data for it comes from the Cx ROMs */

Yeah...that's true, but I've also seen instances where the S1 was in P2...Oh well, go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
I have some files that have m1d, and a m1. What does that mean.

Also, could I rename a P2 to a S1 if the Kawaks rom audit tells me to look for it?

m1d means that the rom file is part of a decrypted romset.

No, you could not rename a P2 to an S1. Why? Because P2 handles the program code and S1 contains the text. How would a simple rename change anything?

On an encrypted board the data of some rom is contained inside another rom data, to throw off dumpers. Renaming the file does not make the data usable.

Alas, you can't substitute a rom file with another, different one.

Edited by Agozer