Nintendo DS

What do you think of the new DS?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well we all heard about the new Nintendo console and it has been met with a really lukewarm reception everywhere except from the most ardent Nintendo fanboys. So what do you all think of it? I suppose it has hard to actually give a worthwhile opinion on something which we know so little about but I'm going to try anyway :D

The supposedly "big innovation" here is having two screens. The first thing that sprang to mind for me was "oh cool, some new Game & Watch type stuff" but then I wondered who was actually going to spend $150 on a new console to play game & watch games. Then I heard of the example that Nintendo gave

For example in a football game, you can view the whole game on one screen, while simultaneously focusing on an individual footballer's tackle or goal on the other screen. Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of their environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

:P Now is it just me or does this sound pretty pointless? What is the difference between doing something on a different screen and pressing the pause button and manually changing the camera angle? A few button presses? It just sounds like a complete waste of an extra screen to me. What other scenarios could this two screen system be used? Well in a racing game you could have one screen the in car view, and the second screen showing the rear view mirror, or you could save a whole lot of bother and just put the rear view mirror on the in car screen in the first place.

The other big worry is getting people to develop for this thing. Having two processors can seriously cut down on the number of people wanting to make games for a console. Just look at Sega and the Saturn for an example of that. Or how many third party developers made stuff for a niche console like the Virtual Boy? So you see my point :unsure:

Anyway I just feel the need to have a rant about this. It seems to me that Nintendo have totally lost direction in the last year by concentrating on gimmicky crap rather than getting to the real meat and veg of gaming. I don't want anymore of this GBA>GC connectivity crap or twin screen handhelds. I want much better third party support and I want Nintendo to take online play seriously. Better still, just scrap the DS and give me a portable N64 with Perfect Dark wireless multiplayer, then all will be forgiven :angry:

[/ranting]

i like the mexican style nachos :P

Methinks its a waste of time and money. Its the beginning of the end of Nintendo. Why bring out a system that no one will buy? Thats what the N-Gage is for.

First gameboy advance, then gameboy sp, now gameboy ds or whatever its called.

The gameboy sp was awesome because everyone wanted a sleeker, slimmer and back lit gba. No one wants a dual screen, (or anyone that is mentally sane would want one)

I present to you the Nintendo BS (guess what it stands for.)

readermockup_012404_1.jpg

Edited by NeoMaster

Why don't they add a minibar and a toaster support while they're at it?

Btw, just a heads up, although unrelated: The new version of ZSNES will have a toaster plugin. Courtesy of pagefault and Nach.

Edited by Agozer

actually....

no one can make a portable device like gunpei yoko.

but he's dead.

however flocked up nintendo get (i'm still a fan of theirs but my loyalty is falling under some doubt, i mean i like sony and sega, but i grew up with nintendo!)

but maybe just maybe they're onto something this time... it's a new idea that no one has basically implemented before so it's very hard to imagine what the outcome will be.. but wasn't it the same with every great videogame idea before?

(platformers, fighting games, survival horror.......etc)

so yeah, time will tell.