SNK is too lazy!!!!!

maninderb

You know, I've seen SNK use the same game engine throughout the first King of fighters. I agree, the graphics were good back then, but now, they need something new. I saw screenshots of kof2003 and damnitt, whats their problem, they don't learn from their mistakes. To tell you the truth, I was expecting a lot from the kof2003, but its not enough. Why don't they use the graphics from Last Blade, or Garou, or Samurai Shodown, or rotd, or matrimelee, so many different engines, but the kof game engine is getting really annoying these days. I was disappointed to see how in svc chaos, the characters from SNK were not redrawn. I was surprised by the Capcom characters but not the SNK characters, it seemed when the game was made, SNK took their time and made the Capcom characters and but they rushed and just imported the same old looking characters from SNK into the game, just to take care of it. I mean look at CVS. Capcom remade even the Capcom characters. I'm impressed about that. I think SNK has the capability to school Capcom if they just smarten up and stop being lazy. I mean, look at Garou, in my opinion, its the best fighting game I've ever played. SNK doesn't realize that they need to continue the Garou series and maybe even use the Garou engine to make the new kof games that come up soon. I hope to see any feedback about what you guys think. Please correct me if I've said anything wrong. :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capcom is 1000x lazier than SNK. Look at how many SNK characters got real makeovers. Kyo is on his third drastic makeover, Terry Bogard's Garou outfit is intact for KOF2003, etc. How many Street Fighter characters got a makeover? Chun Li and....well, I guess that's it. Demitri from Darkstalkers got a makeover (see my avatar) and guess what? It wasn't Capcom to do it! Morrigan is still sporting her original extremely dated sprites to this very day. Maybe SNK will again take the initiative and do what Capcom fails to with every release.

Look at how many times Terry Bogard got upgraded from Fatal Fury 1 to KOF2003. Compare that to any single Capcom character. Megaman's sprites get more attention than any fighting game character.

As far as the SNK characters not being redrawn in SVC, that's the whole point. Capcom vs SNK was put out by Capcom, which is why Capcom characters were only given minor graphical touches while all the SNK characters resemble the Capcom style. Look at Terry or Kyo and all will be clear. The Capcom characters in CVS had more pallette changes than redraws.

You don't need to worry about the game hardware. The next game is on Atomiswave. Maybe it'll look silky smooth like Guilty Gear X. The Guilty Gear visual style with SNK play mechanics would be the #1 fighting game. As long as the music doesn't resemble any of the Jazzpanese music from Capcom cames or has the annoying announcer guy yacking throughout the menus.

I like these Capcom and SNK debates though. Other people chime in please.

I totally agree...

It has been disappointing for me also, the KOF2k2 was really bad ( I THINK)

and the characters seem they were cut&paste from the previous series...

However, there is one thing to consider and that is..well, KOF had a tournament

almost every year and to make a good 2D fighters game, maybe one year was

not enough... since they had a deadline of 1 year per game, they may not have

had the time to refurnish all the characters...

If you check out SF, they didn't have SF1997, SF1998...so they did not set them

selves up for a deadline...they had plenty of time to think through with the

characters...

GAROU MARK OF THE WOLVES was the first of Garou..so they had some time to

think over the system and all the other important stuff...(TOP system)

however, if they continue the Garou series, it may end up like KOF series....

Good things take time....right? :lol:

Well the Garou graphics engine can't really support 32+ characters on the Neo Geo hardware. Maybe in the next KOF which is on Atomisware, we'll see ultra detailed characters, ultra smooth animation, ultra cool KOF style music, and ultra cool stages. But I don't want Playmore to go ALL out on the next game...I mean, they need to give themselves some room to improve and make more money by rehashing the same game by updating some graphics.

Maybe when 3D graphics processing is good and fast enough to render a fighting game to have the same speed and look of a 2D game, we'll see some new and awesome stuff. Till then, we'll have to deal with tap-tap combo 3D games like Tekken and DOA. Maybe the PS3 is that powerful...

SNK has been doing a pretty good job so far. I mean, they have done 3d games, but they're weren't the greatest (Ff: wild ambition)

Their 2d games are fine, they probably just have to revamp it a little bit :lol:

Capcom is 1000x lazier than SNK. Look at how many SNK characters got real makeovers. Kyo is on his third drastic makeover, Terry Bogard's Garou outfit is intact for KOF2003, etc. How many Street Fighter characters got a makeover? Chun Li and....well, I guess that's it. Demitri from Darkstalkers got a makeover (see my avatar) and guess what? It wasn't Capcom to do it! Morrigan is still sporting her original extremely dated sprites to this very day. Maybe SNK will again take the initiative and do what Capcom fails to with every release.

Look at how many times Terry Bogard got upgraded from Fatal Fury 1 to KOF2003. Compare that to any single Capcom character. Megaman's sprites get more attention than any fighting game character.

As far as the SNK characters not being redrawn in SVC, that's the whole point. Capcom vs SNK was put out by Capcom, which is why Capcom characters were only given minor graphical touches while all the SNK characters resemble the Capcom style. Look at Terry or Kyo and all will be clear. The Capcom characters in CVS had more pallette changes than redraws.

You don't need to worry about the game hardware. The next game is on Atomiswave. Maybe it'll look silky smooth like Guilty Gear X. The Guilty Gear visual style with SNK play mechanics would be the #1 fighting game. As long as the music doesn't resemble any of the Jazzpanese music from Capcom cames or has the annoying announcer guy yacking throughout the menus.

I like these Capcom and SNK debates though. Other people chime in please.

Umm, that is 100% wrong, unless you maen in gameplay, but in gfx, all you need to do is look at each street fighter game to know that they have updated the characters, but maybe thats cos capcom have not stuck with the same system for around 14 years??.

100% wrong? I'll admit Capcom did update, but they were so minimal they hardly count, especially in the numerous SF2 semi-sequels. From SF1 to SF2? Sure, that was a big change (like Eagle in CVS2 or Cody in SFA3). The Alpha/Zero series was the only other revolution. Meanwhile SNK updates continually, not just when a new subseries is spawned.

How many characters from Capcom got major makeovers? Chun-Li and SF1 and Final Fight characters, because they HAD to.

Look at the Marvel vs. Capcom series. The spectrum from ugly to pretty is vast. Capcom doesn't stay consistent. Look at Thanos next to Strider. SNK has always tried to keep everyone generally similar, so they look like the are meant to be in the game, and didn't just wander into it. That's the primary beef with these crossover games, they are inconsistent. CVS and SVC look good because they were the few exception where either developer tweaked one side to match the other.

In addition, I like both games. I just think SNK were concerned more with the visuals while Capcom cut & pastes characters from their old series.

Both series did do minor graphical upgrades over the years, but SNK's are more evident while Capcom's are subtle.

I think SNK has a slight lead on Capcom.

Take the two most popular characters, Ryu and Terry as an example.

Ryu got a new look from SF1 to SF2 incarnations, another in SFA/Marvel, and the final one in SVC (done by SNK).

Terry Bogard changed in FF1, FF2, the Real Bout games, early KOF, late half KOF, Garou/KOF2003. An in CVS (by Capcom). A lot of the Capcom characters in SVC were redrawn for the first time in literally a decade by SNK, not Capcom. But again, Capcom did their fair share of SNK character redraws in CVS. Both CVS and SVCs' redraws should be considered a non-issue, since the character HAD to be redrawn or the game would have looked more awkward than the Marvel series.

Most Capcom changes were color edits. Terry, and others from SNK, had numerous color changes as well throughout the course of KOF. Terry's pants, for example, have different shades of blue, as does Ryu's entire default color outfit in the SF2 series. In the end, the majority of SNK characters have more redraws while Capcom tends to stick with color alterations (especially in the SF2 series).

Of course, this is excluding CVS and SVC. I don't generally credit those games in graphics arguments because the sprites had to be redrawn for consistency sake. But if you wish to include them, then it results in a bit of a tie, since Capcom was forced to redraw more characters in CVS than SNK had to with SVC.

I guess my opinion could be countered just by total makeovers alone. SNK had quite a few, with Kyo a couple times, Terry once, etc. Capcom had Chun Li recieve a needless (but appreciated makeover), but did do quite a few makeovers bringing Final Fight and SF1 characters into the rosters. But SNK did their fair share with Athena, Ikari Warriors (OK, bad example), Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Samurai Showdown, etc.