SNK is too lazy!!!!!

maninderb

Hi, reading these posts made me curious about some technical emulation questions I never really had thought of before. I know this isn't really the place, but you seem to be the guys to answer them (plus at least this forum is active). I don't really know much about the technical side of emulation, bt I am curious.

Here is the question: Why is it that emulators like Kawaks and Nebula can only emulate cetain arcade games? I realise that there is a difference between CPS-1 CPS-2 and Neo Geo - but as I understand it people have been making games on these systems for YEARS.

Plus, IF Kawaks etc... CAN run SVC Chaos etc...after some tweaking, and that game came out in 2003 (I think), does that mean that modern arcade machines are still being made to support these dated systems?

If that is the case, does it not seem odd that we are up to trilinear gourad-shaded graphics (or whatever) on the PS2, X-BOX etc..., whereas arcade game makers are still making games for a system which (I believe) had its peak in the early 1990s?

What about the more fancy updated arcade machines? Are they in neo-geo format or some new system? If this new system is around and better, why are people still making games for the Neo Geo?

Sorry if these questions are really stoopid, but I hope someone  can answer me.

SNK still designs games for its MVS because there is a huge customer base for them, especially arcade owners. Arcade machines these days can run about at least a grand whereas for the MVS; the arcade owner can buy a MVS cart for about 3 to 400 hundred dollars. It all comes down to cost. The thing with arcade machines is they only run ONE game whereas the MVS obviously runs 4 and its able add new games as it comes out. As for emulators like kawaks and nebula (mainly kawaks) were both written specifically to emulate cps and mvs hardware. Also in my opinion, I think just because something is old doesn't mean it's not good. It's all about whether or not the games are fun. If a game is fun, it doesn't matter when it was made, its all about fun. I still play games for the nes just for that very reason. A good fun game is timeless.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MVS is suprisinly the most used Arcade unit in Brazil, Japan and Euro as to the US/Canada. If you think SNK is lazy, Capcom's been lazy for the past 6 years. Releasing 10 different versions of a game for the same console isn't going to do you any good. Althought SF3 was different, they came out with 3 different versions adding more characters. A little too late if you ask me. Also these days, you don't see the qaulity fighters they used to put out 5 to 10 years ago. Only SNK and Sammy still follow the tridition of 2D fighters and manage to put out some decent fighters, GGXX isn't the greatest, by far its pretty scrub friendly, as compared to an Capcom game where the Top Tier list is 3/4ths the roster. I say Capcom has finally given up on 2D fighters, and they leave it in Sammy's hands now.

Capcom has said their last fighter will be Street Fighter 4, which is in production now. Of course since it's Capcom it'll probably have 320x200 sprites, 3 moves per character, and new characters added who are rehases of older characters.

SNK uses the MVS board so their limited by that. Capcom on the other hand can do whatever it wants to, but it chooses not to do anything new. Well, there was the horrible Street Fighter EX series.

Hopefully with Sammy, the next SNK fighter will not only have killer music, but nice transparencies with hi-res sprites.

SFEX was not made by Capcom, it was made by a different company. Capcom moved their fighters to Sammy's hands also. What I'm afride of is that Sammy will turn King of Fighters into a pure-ish anime style fighter compared to now. Where SNK likes to add so much detail.

Yeap.

The sprites Capcom have been using for him are from his Street Fighter Alpha 3 incaration.

Well, he actually only made it for the home consoles versions of PSX, Sega Saturn, and later Dreamcast.  As well did Fei Long and others.  He wasn't in the arcade version.  Still, he was in there.

Pick up SFA3 for any home console and you can play with him.  They also put DeeJay, T.Hawk, FeiLong, and some others in there.

Ah ok. I've only played the arcade version. Time to play the console version.

Ahh, didn't know that about SFEX. I guess it makes sense because some of the characters on there seemed a little too far fetched for Capcom (Skullmania anybody).

I too hope that the game doesn't turn too anime. I hate anime in video games, there's too much of it. I mean, I like to watch it, but now it's too mainstream. It seems like every game has to have some anime influence now. I hate it. I prefer people to have their own artist style.

Edited by Lightsier

SFEX was not made by Capcom, it was made by a different company. Capcom moved their fighters to Sammy's hands also. What I'm afride of is that Sammy will turn King of Fighters into a pure-ish anime style fighter compared to now. Where SNK likes to add so much detail.

The SFEX games were developed by Taraka.