xbox

Mechjose

Armageddon Posted on Jan 21 2004, 04:58 AM

with anymod chip you can't use xbox live. microsoft has some new stuff that deletes anything one the c drive it doesn't like when you connect... the only way to do it is to have a second harddrive just for xbox live..

well the truth of the matter is that you can't play backups using xbox live but if you got retail games and have a mod, you can switch it off and then play on xbox live no prob.

with TSOP you can't in either case unless you own an older xbox and do the muti-bios switch trick

by the way, if you use softmods and update to live 2.0, thats what is going to cause the deleting of files.

thats not needed when its already installed, what we mean is when you gotta install a live dash for xbox live use, it will delete the softmod stuff but after that you're fine except if you use softmods

if you're using softmods, you gotta use a v1 live dash

• 1 year later...

i could of sworn there was a way to play w/o modchip...something with a certian writing program. Or was that just dreamcast? Cuz i plzyed burned games on dreamcast w/o no chip....jeez i think im confused!

ppl with older xbox's could do the TSOP flash but the bad thing about that is that you won't be able to use live since you'll be running a hacked bios tho for 1.0/1.1 xbox's you can add a swtich to use 2/4 bioses since 1.0/1.1 uses a 1mb TSOP (4 @ 256k and 2 @ 512k).

theres also other softmods that replace your dash or use a certain game to enable a exploit but do understand by doing any of these softmods, you run the risk of ruining your xbox if you don't know what you are doing.

same goes for installing modchips but for that you'll need some soldering skills unless you get a crappy solderless adapter.

Isn't someone failing to mention that you risk rendering your Xbox useless by flashing the TSOP? The TSOP is the onboard bios, containing the original bios. If something goes wrong during the process, you're screwed unless you own an EPROM programmer and have some very good soldering skills.

Theres also the fact that alot of people like to retain the original functionality and integrity of the console by using a modchip. I for one do not care to go the TSOP route, I want my original MS bios on there, and I don't even use LIVE, nor will I ever.........it's like paying for Gamespy Arcade ontop of the cost of my ISP's services to hookup with others to play PC games, a ripoff to me, as you know Gamespy is free and LIVE doesn't differ very much from it, not enough to warrant letting Microsoft put their hands in my wallet.

Regardless, this is about mods.........I don't think the TSOP method is a good thing, especially if you wish to retain the original functionality and integrity of your system, and theres the "Oops!" factor, theres no "Oops!" factor with a modchip beyond lame soldering skills.

i personaly have done 4 tsop jobs for ppl and had no probs at all with any of them. only thing you must make sure is what version of xbox you have as the tsop sizes varys in different versions (1.0/1.1 have 1MB tsop and 1.2-1.5 have a 256K tsop) and you must flash a bios of the exact size of the tsop.

there are ways of fixing a bad tsop flash so it isn't as bad as you put it and most of the ways involve using a modchip while in the case of 1.0/1.1 xbox's, you can install a switch to switch between bios and this gives you a chance to fix your error if you flashed a 256K bios on a 1MB tsop.

yea, there won't be a M$ bios anymore but that doesn't mean you can't flash one back or switch between it in 1.0/1.1 xbox's case; the only reason why you would even bother to do this in the first place is to get rid of it in either case so you can do other things M$ bios won't.

and changing your bios still allows you to do everything else with exception to live, so you can still run M$ dash to manage your music/saves and such.

I C,....so it is impossible to play burned games w/o messing around with the xbox at all....sigh wat a let down...Unlike Cinder, i adore my xbox live so i dont want to risk anything wit it. Geez was a let down...it least i know the truth now....

DARN U CLEVER MICROSOFT BASTARDS!!!