FF Anthology, FF Chronicles, & Xenogears

I hope this was posted in the right forum.

I'm not sure how many RPG fans we have here, but if any of you have played Final Fantasy Anthology, FF Chronicles, and/or Xengears for the Playstation, I'm basically interested in 1) feedback on just how bad the slowdowns were in Anthology and Chronicles, and 2) if you really enjoyed anyone of these titles in particular.

I've played most of the Final Fantasy series and overall I find them 'good.' My favorites are FFVI (or FFIII in U.S., I think), FF VII, and believe it or not, FF IX.

Anyhow, I've never got to play Anthology, even though it included a remake of FFVI, as well as FFV. Um...based on reviews many complained about slowdowns. Just how bad could they be? There's slowdowns only right before FMVs, right? And with the PS2 there is an option to speed up loading process for PS games, won't this help? And is slowdown more of an issue with Anthology than Chronicles?

As for Xenogears, well I've heard good things about it but I haven't played it at all...

Anyhow, I suppose the number of responses will depend on how many actually played these, so I'm not expecting much. Either way, it's fine, though it'd be good to hear some feedback. :D

The PS2's Disc Speed option usually breaks stuff than speeds things up. I don't use it. Ever.

As for FFIV and FFV, you could just download the SNES roms, since it's the same game. If you really want the PSX version, go for it. I haven't experienced any slowdowns or anything like that (or then maybe I don't just notice it).

What is FF Chronicles exactly? Do you mean FF Origins?

Edited by Agozer

The slowdowns were in bugged versions(The first 6 months of the release were all bugged versions) of FFA. I hear that they are re-releasing FFA, FFC and Xenogears as part of PS1's best games or something(The one with the green labling).

FF anthology features FF6 and FF5 (?)

FF Chronicles features FF4 and Chrono Trigger

Xenogears features big fighting Robots :(

All of them are pretty cool though I would stick with FF anthology and Xenogears probably because of the storylines and FF chronicles only feature cartoonish (animeish) movies while the other games feature 3d grpahics. I would say Xenogears would be a good RPG to get and play :)

Final Fantasy 4 is tied for my all time favorite FF game, well maybe its 2nd :(

I like Chronicles, I had it for a while. Great how they added the FEW movies, the secret ending movie to Chrono Trigger = beautiful :)

Wow! I actually got some response! For some reason, I didn't expect much of the crowd here to be RPG gamers. :)

Well, it seems that no one here has really complained about slowdowns -- that's interesting. From some of the negative reviews I've read, they made it sound like like loading times were 5 minutes long or something. If it's no different than any other PSX games, then I see no problem.

Yeah, I already played most of these games on zsnesw but (as stupid as it sounds) I want to see those FMVs that were missing from the original; and to a lesser extent, I guess I want to own the actual CD of these games manufactored straight from the factory (with instructions, covers, and all). :huh:

Curiously, I don't think Anthology nor Chronicles ever made it to Greatest Hits. Even Xenogears, with its rave reviews, I don't think made it to Greastest Hits... Could be that Anthology/Chronicles caters more to "old-school" players, and I've no clue about Xenogears.

Anyhow, I think I know a store in my town that sells all these titles, as well as others. So if they have it in stock, I'd probably get all of these. lol

Thanks for the response.

Pick up xenogears no matter what, its one of the greatest RPG's ever made (well 2nd to FF7), but it does have a great story, and i never noticed any slowdown in FFA or FFC, anyway they are all great games and you should really add them to your collection, Me im a big RPG nut, they are my fav type of game, first RPG i ever played and beat was FF6, was my fav until i played chono trigger, then that was knocked off the top spot by FF7 and so far FF7 has stuck as my fav RPG, 2nd fav would have to be xenogears, then chono trigger then ff6. anyway no matter what pick up xenogears, if you are any type of rpg fan at all you will be dead happy with that game.

xenogears is a must.

if you like chronotrigger it's a must

if you didn't like chrono trigger it's a must.

let's just say that i (and indeed a shitload of people ) consider it WAAAAAY greater than the infamous ff7 (and in my view, that's not accomplishing much)

but if you miss out on this game you'll seriously regret it.