A couple of questions about Neorage and ROMS....

I know that the original NRX has long been discontinued,but it continues to be updated by hacks. The thing is there are so many different hacks of Neorage that it makes me wonder just how old my version of NRX is (i got v 0.9c,the newest game it has on it is KOF 2K2. I also notice that everytime i try to load my Fatal Fury 3 ROM of my NRX ROMS CD the program shuts down. I have a feeling that isnt the only ROM this version has a problem with....). My questions are:

1) what is the version of NRX i should be using? I heard that i should have 2 seperate versions, one for all games up to KOF2K2 and another for the newest games (SVC,SSV). Is this true? If so where can i get these versions?

2) Does NRX play all the newest games out so far perfectly (i know all ROMS after SVC have had to go through the debacle of all these patches and fixes and whatnot. Thats why im waiting until i get the definitive version or versions of NRX before even downloading them)?

3)Why do some of my ROMS appear at the very bottom of the list when i use NRX? Is there something wrong/missing/unproperly named about them cuz all the ROMS i have are on the NRX "list". Also, is there a playable version of KOF2000 for NRX out there w/o copyright protection or glitches?

4)Can someone explain to me in detail why NRX has to use its own set of Neo-Geo ROMS while Mame/Kawaks etc. use another set? Also, why when i audit my NRX ROMS in Romcenter does RC mess them up instead of fixing/renaming them, Do i have to do some special procedure to make sure RC audits NRX Neo-Geo ROMS properly? Is there any way i can convert my NRX ROMS for use with Kawaks/MAME etc?

Sorry for the long post but i tried to condense it as much as possible and i couldn't get any of these questions answered anywhere but hopefully here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance <_<

Here I go again...

1) Personally I use NRX 0.8c for almost everything except:

-EGCG NeoRAGEx H1 for SVC and SSV.

-A special NRX hack for Metal Slug 5.

I think you can get both of the "special hacks" from www.neogamez.net

NRX 0.8c can be found at www.anigames.it

2) Yes, NeoRAGEx plays most/if not all games perfectly. A slight correction:

NeoRAGEx has needed patched roms since Garou and KOF99, not after SVC.

3) Some games appear at the bottom of the list because they have no entry in the actual gamelist. However, this doesn't mean that the games won't work.

Also a good guideline: If a game appears as at the bottom of the game list and it displays a Neo-Geo internal name (not the exact ZIP filename like "Shock Troopers.zip") the game will most likely work in NRX. If the game shows only the ZIP filename, the game won't work (the only exception to this that I've seen is Metal Slug 5)

I have a fully working KOF2000 rom, but with a few glitchy texts (mainly character select screen names), but a 512k S1 (or was it M1) rom should fix that.

4) NeoRAGEx roms are basically different because NRX doesn't support encrypted romsets like Nebula/Kawaks. I've never used RomCenter for any renaming conventions and I've never audited my Neo-Geo roms. I can understand auditing if you use Nebula/Kawaks, but with NRX, I don't see what I'd gain from all that trouble.

I don't know of such a program that could transfer compatibility on the fly between emulators, unless the rom works in all of them to begin with.

Edited by Agozer

the last official NRX version was 0.6b.

4)Can someone explain to me in detail why NRX has to use its own set of Neo-Geo ROMS while Mame/Kawaks etc. use another set? Also, why when i audit my NRX ROMS in Romcenter does RC mess them up instead of fixing/renaming them, Do i have to do some special procedure to make sure RC audits NRX Neo-Geo ROMS properly? Is there any way i can convert my NRX ROMS for use with Kawaks/MAME etc?

from the readme.txt of NRX0.6b (something left out in all of the hacks)

Special Note:

Why do we have to double certain roms? Well, because we dont use any game specific

drivers. We allocate dynamically as much memory as the roms require and restrict

NeoGeo to fetching gfx from any location outside of that. MAME has the possiblity

to allocate any amount of memory they want and load the same rom twice or just fill

the area with Zeros because of their driver system. Then you may ask why we dont

use drivers as MAME? Because we want NeoRAGEx to be able to run any dump not just

those that are out for the moment. But remember... we dont claim these dumps to be

incorrect... just not correct for NeoRAGE(x).

if you understand this, this means MAME (also equally means Kawaks, Nebula and FBA) and NeoRAGEx are impossible to have the same compatibility rate.

also, people seems to fail seeing this but each time a new hack was released something in it gets broken (that "import" button kicks you to desktop, anyone?) and this gets serious as each release passes (i consider this the side-effects of the hackings).

you know what, im definitely going to wait till the smoke clears as far as all these new Neo-Geo games go because this whole fiasco with ROM patches,hacked emus etc is WAY too confusing for me. Im just sticking to my NRX 0.8c from anigames.it (which i had to get from Emule because apparently anigames.it links are down.) Ive only stuck to anigames' NRX hacks up until now when i started looking into these newer hacks which do appear to have new features and fixes but end up messing up other parts of the emu. I like to audit my NRX ROMS because i want to make sure i have the right ROMS and when i open NRX i dont want to get no errors or have any ROMS appear at the bottom of the list instead of being in their appropiate places (some of my ROMS appear at the bottom of the list with names with odd names i.e FATAL FURY.zip.even though they are in the bottom of the list they still do work. I just wonder why they are at the bottom of the list instead of being highlighted on the list. What im basically trying to say is that i like keeping my ROMS organized :rolleyes:. Well anyways thanks to you who helped me. I really learned a lot from your posts.

I like keeping my list organized as well, but if the game list doesn't have an entry for the game, it always goes to the bottom of the list. You need the hacked roms so that the encryption can be broken (and NeoRAGEx can play the games).

The bug with the Import button kicking you back to desktop exists because, for some reason, the EGCG NeoRAGEx crashes with the latest ZLIB.DLL.

Edited by Agozer

Well all of my ROMS that appeared at the bottom of the list had an entry on the list (some of the ROMS that appeared at the bottom of the list are early Neo-Geo games like Fatal Fury,Ghost Pilots... wonder why they are there).Maybe there something unusual about the ROMS that i have...

Maybe there something unusual about the ROMS that I have...

That would be mine (and your) best guess. I think there's something wrong with your romsets... Your using 0.8b or what?