Lord of the Rings effects studio+Evangelion

Tatsuya

Hmmmm... Look at this...

-data-

Cannes, France - May 20, 2003

In an announcement sure to make waves in the entertainment industry, ADV Films President and CEO John Ledford yesterday publicly confirmed industry rumors that the firm has acquired the rights to produce, and has already begun development of, a live-action feature-film based on the Japanese animated television series "Neon Genesis Evangelion," a multi-million dollar worldwide franchise and perhaps the most influential anime title in the history of the art form.

Advertisement

The project is a collaboration between ADV Films, Gainax and Weta Workshop, Ltd.

The Participants

ADV Films is the leading producer-distributor of Japanese animation in North America. The Japanese anime and game studio Gainax Network Systems was one of the original production studios responsible for "Neon Genesis Evangelion," and Weta Workshop, Ltd. is the New Zealand-based special effects studio that created the effects for Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Peter Jackson (writer and director of The Lord of the Rings Movies) said he loved the anime and is very interested in the project.

"The three main players here represent something of a 'dream-team' for a project like this one," said Ledford. "Between the quality and significance of the Gainax title, Weta's industry-leading skill in the creation of special visual effects, and our expertise in the marketing and promotion of anime and anime-related content, this project is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

The Story

"Neon Genesis Evangelion" is the story of a reluctant young hero, called upon to pilot an immense robotic weapon in battle against alien invaders. Including both a 26-episode television series and at least two animated motion pictures, "Neon Genesis Evangelion" has long been both a fan favorite and an extraordinary critical and commercial success, with the worldwide franchise producing many millions of dollars in revenue.

Timetable

The "Neon Genesis Evangelion" live-action motion picture is in the earliest stages of development. Ledford confirmed, however, that the timetable is an aggressive one, and that more information on the project is forthcoming.

About Weta Workshop, Ltd

Founded in 1987 by Richard Taylor, Tania Rodger, Peter Jackson and Jamie Selkirk, Weta is a physical and digital effects company providing creatures, special make-up effects, prosthetics, miniatures, armor, weaponry and digital effects for the film and television industry. Over the past sixteen years the company has provided effects for Jackson's "Meet the Feebles", "Braindead" (aka "Dead Alive"), "Heavenly Creatures," "The Frighteners," and "The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy, as well as for advertisements and television shows including the popular "Hercules" and "Xena" series. At the height of production on "The Lord of the Rings," Weta Workshop employed 150 physical effects technicians and 350 digital effects technicians at Weta Digital. Weta's work on "The Lord of the Rings" has garnered worldwide praise including two Academy Awards in 2002 (for Best Visual Effects and Best Makeup), and one in 2003 (for Best Visual Effects). The British Academy has also honored Weta's work by awarding two BAFTAs in 2002 (for Best Visual Effects and Best Makeup) and two more in 2003 (for Best Visual Effects and Best Costume).

About ADV Films

In 1992, ADV Films began to forge the international market for Japanese animation ("anime") by combining unique titles, outstanding production values and efficient large-scale distribution. Today, ADV Films is the #1 producer- distributor of Japanese animation to the North American market, with the firm's holdings including such premier titles as "NOIR," "Sailor Moon," "Samurai X," "Hello Kitty's Paradise," "RahXephon," "Spriggan," "Robotech," "Full Metal Panic" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." In addition, ADV Films' product line has expanded to include other forms of genre programming, including live-action science fiction programs "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda," "Mutant X" and The Jim Henson Company's "Farscape," and classic science fiction such as the updated "Gamera" trilogy.

-data-

what? :D

nnnnNNNNNOOOOOOOooooooooooooo......

The animation was only marginally acceptible, and that because I happen to like angst. I wonder how many ways this project can be ruined. (not that it has much of a chance of not sucking in the first place :blink: ) So is Jackson actually directing, or did they simply include that quip for PR purposes?

I'm definitely waiting for this...

But only time will tell if my wait is worth it...To tell the truth, I'm a bit skeptical though...

Edited by Agozer

4 words people...

MIGHTY. MORPHIN. POWER. RANGERS.

this is what japanese live-action fantasy amounts to. dont believe me? watch ultraman.

I've never watch Ultraman, but judging from the screenshots and a few SNES games, Ultraman sucks big donkey balls. Hell, even Power Rangers is better than that.

Ultraman...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That was such a load of crap!

Evanglion...I remember watching all 13 tapes back when I was in 9th grade (now I'm a sophmore in college) and the series took a real nosedive after Tape 6 (back before DVD came out). I remember the last tape made my head hurt so much.

4 words people...

MIGHTY. MORPHIN. POWER. RANGERS.

this is what japanese live-action fantasy amounts to. dont believe me? watch ultraman.

I've never watch Ultraman, but judging from the screenshots and a few SNES games, Ultraman sucks big donkey balls. Hell, even Power Rangers is better than that.

Power Rangers is a westernized copy of those Japanese TV heroes (Bioman and maybe a few others but its a hero team stuff).

comparing it to Ultraman doesnt do justice imho.