Raine 0.95.5 : big cps2 update !

Tux

9 hours ago, Tux said:

For info to reproduce it, I had an iso + wav files dump and I hadn't even converted the wav to mp3 (lazy... !).
So I just adapted my cue file to look like yours. Then I made a savegame during the demo just before the highscore screen appears. For me it crashed just after the hiscore screen. This way it was very fast to get to the crash, these neocd saves are super efficient ! And finally converting my cue file was not even necessary it would have crashed even with the one I had originally, it's just that nobody left the demo running until now, and for some reason this kind of crash doesn't seem to happen during normal play... !!!

Quite crazy !

But at least it was easy to fix. It's a super old bug here again, from neoraine time, you are super efficient to find bugs currently !

Hello again, Tux!

Thank you for the details on the fixing job. They are really interesting for laymen in programming like me.

Yes, it's been a while since I played some NGCD game, so only recently I came across this bug. I was trying to see whether SNK applied sprites cut in the CD version of this Samurai Shodown game too, but it's hard for me to detect it since I don't play this game much, so the combo NG ROM + sound associations may work better for me for a while. But anyway, thanks again for fixing it!

15 hours ago, Tux said:

Version is not really important in the window title, there is the nice about dialog for that with its superb color cycling despite what sdl-image did lately !

Yes, I know the About dialog has the version number and a super cool rainbow effect. But the information in the window title is also useful in case you want to reproduce an issue in (many) different versions of the program. I generally keep some old versions in my emulators folder before safely ditching them for the newer ones, like I have in my laptop now:

zMuVNZL.png

I delete them when I feel everything is OK with the current version. But sometimes I may have even more Raine versions than that depending on the issue I'm testing (for example, when I was investigating the sound device issue discussed in the other thread). So if I'm easily seeing the version number there in the window title my test job is much quicker/easier too.

I also thought this would be a good idea to suggest because we already have the version number showing for when playing ROM games, so it would be consistent to display it for NGCD games too, I guess.

Anyway, just a detail in the interface that may possibly help someone in some cases. Feel free to let if for another time if you think so.

Thank you again for your continuing work in the program.

Edited by mer-curious

Actually this version number was displayed for neocd in the title bar until may 29th 2021, commit 90761c9f7afc679394d550c4eb4f5e6ef3b42358. The commit was not specifically about that but to fix an incompatibility between 2 games, I guess I probably took it off because I found it made too long titles which is probably true for a lot of games there.

Oh well since you are the most efficient bug finder around here I can put it back... !

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 8:47 AM, Tux said:

Oh well since you are the most efficient bug finder around here I can put it back... !

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for considering my suggestion and bringing back the version number for NGCD games! I really hope it helps someone besides me with the testings.

By the way, I have been playing a little more with some NGCD games and I think I've found two issues to discuss:

1-

The first loading animation for Samurai Shodown 3 is not adapted to the Japanese region the first time you load the game, as you see here:

ynyEzxC.png

But if you hard reset the game, it is finally adapted:

d6i1K1l.png

Surprisingly I have found a video of someone playing Samurais Spirits 3 in the real hardware and the first loading animation is indeed adapted to the Japanese language, as you see in the following video:

Please notice that he is using a CD drive emulator and loading the game from an SD card, but we can see that the first loading screen is in Japanese as well.

Perhaps there's something not detecting correctly the region we set when loading the game?

Anyway, I'll wait your comments on that.

2-

The picture in some NGCD games is not being drawn correctly the first time you load the game. To correct the picture you have to display the GUI and then return to the game. I've noticed this happening with two games so far, Samurai Shodown 3 and The Last Blade 2. Please take a look at the pictures below. The first is taken before the GUI is shown, and the second, after visiting the GUI:

Samurai Spirits 3:

At3FGsI.png

030CiwB.png

The Last Blade 2:

HAK09iR.png

z0PgmJ6.png

I'm not sure if you could do anything to improve this as soon as the game is loaded, but I'm reporting it anyway.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and work. 👍

PS: I've created a pull to suggest a new default setting to the NGCD loading speed + some minor text revisions.

For your 1 you could have guessed the reason : when you load a neocd game the emulator doesn't know which game it is before it loads at least the 1st part, and so it does not know which region to apply 1st, so you have the default region 1st, that's all. Then once the game is identified, it gets the last region used for that game or its default region.

For your 2 I can't reproduce it for now, launched smasho3 with the us region in windowed mode (in linux), started the game, the picture is not cut on its right side, and displaying the gui doesn't change anything to it. If the bug is just because you are using a 640x480 window, just forget it ! I am not sure for now.

edit : and after testing in wine, I still can't reproduce this. No idea how you did that.

edit2 : and even in win10, and even with a 640x480 window, no cut on the right. Oh well... !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for taking the time to test those issues.

So, for the adapted loading animation, I already have the game region set to Japan, so much so that if I hard reset the game it correctly shows the first loading animation in Japanese. But if I open the program and load the game it will show the "Samurai Shodown 3" animation instead of the "Samurai Spirits" one, even if I had already set the game to the "Japan" region before. Perhaps if you added an option to "NG/NGCD options" to set the default NGCD region even before the game was loaded would fix this? I'm not sure if this is doable though, but you see in the video that the real console does load the first loading animation correctly as far as I can tell.

As for the wrong picture width, I always set a new raine32_sdl.cfg file for every version I try, so everything is set to default here, except for the NGCDZ BIOS for NGCD and the Unibios 4.0 for NG games. Then I load The Last Blade 2 CUE file and have the issue with the picture width. It's a very weird bug indeed, but I can reproduce it very consistently. I have recorded a video clip showing that, here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_wY1hJ-z5eguoJ7OBNr4jPqH_-6MyMXs/view?usp=sharing

You see in the video that even if I maximize the window the width won't be corrected, only if I ever show the GUI.

Hopefully you'll be able to reproduce this eventually and tell what could be happening. But these are minor issues nevertheless.

Thank you so much again for your time. 👍

Edited by mer-curious

For the 1, no having a setting for default region would be overkill, the default region is set to Europe for neocd games because raine is made in Europe. I guess I could detect the current locale and use japan instead if the locale is japenese, but even that would be quite overkill. It's not a problem of correct or not, it's just the game is not recognized before the 1st part is loaded. Once it's loaded if you reset the name doesn't change, so it knows how to take the right settings. So if you really want to see this animation, there's just a rest for you.

It's not an emulation bug neither, the neocd console has a fixed region so it always plays all games using the same region. Here we choose to allow the player to set the region independently for each game. So that produces a difference, but my goal is once again not to emulate precisely the console itself, but just to support neocd games as well as we can, that's all. The games are good, but the console itself is not interesting.

For the 2, I'll try later without any configuration file although I doubt it will make any difference, but it's annoying, it's always longer to retrieve the files needed in this case.

I reproduce it very easily with last blade 2, but not samsho3, go figure... ! Anyway, it was probably here since the beginning of the sdl2 version, so quite some time ago already, but it's right we played less neocd games with that version, and it was the kind of thing which could happen. Anyway the fix is just 1 line, very easy to fix. It affects the games with a width of 320 (although for some reason it's not so obvious for me in samsho3, there might be some other parameters there).

Anyway it's fixed... thanks for the report !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 7:37 AM, Tux said:

For the 1, no having a setting for default region would be overkill, the default region is set to Europe for neocd games because raine is made in Europe. I guess I could detect the current locale and use japan instead if the locale is japenese, but even that would be quite overkill. It's not a problem of correct or not, it's just the game is not recognized before the 1st part is loaded. Once it's loaded if you reset the name doesn't change, so it knows how to take the right settings. So if you really want to see this animation, there's just a rest for you.

Hello Tux! Thank you for this explanation. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly, but I still think Raine could let us decide which default region to use for NGCD games. However, I only felt the need for such a setting when playing Samurai Shodown 3 with the region set to Japan and found it strange that the emulator showed the English loading screen at the game start. So I'm not sure if such a setting would be really useful for any other game in the NGCD library or for anyone else playing NGCD games in Raine. So if you think it's really unnecessary and/or not doable for now, just leave it for another time maybe. Thank you again.

I reproduce it very easily with last blade 2, but not samsho3, go figure... !

Very weird indeed!

Anyway, I'm glad you could reproduce it at last.

Thank you so much again for your time and work. 👍

• 3 months later...

I reproduce it very easily with last blade 2, but not samsho3, go figure... !

Hello Tux! Revisiting this thread now I figure why: the issue with the game width was with Samurai Shodown 4, not 3! 😅 I was confused with playing both games and reporting two different issues about them in the same post. That's why you would never notice it with that game. Hopefully you also tested The Last Blade 2 too...

But you see in my previous post that the screenshot is indeed from Samurai Shodown 4. I just made a confusion with typing the wrong game title.

Anyway, this mistery is solved! 😁

Thank you!

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2023 at 4:52 AM, Tux said:

I haven't got the latest one, but still more recent than that, I had to allow an update specifically to be able to update the nvidia driver, I couldn't install the latest version without that, so I guess you don't have the latest nvidia version neither ? It must be the 22h2 if I remember correctly, I disabled windows update after that and I hope to keep it at this level for long.

Well you are lucky it's minor, just a white cross instead of a green one, because supporting such a specific windows version would seem quite crazy. Anyway... !

edit : confirmed after verification, 22h2, installed late in march 23 because I blocked windows update before, and I still blocked an update on this version (I can now update the nvidia driver so it's enough for me).

Hello Tux! Happy New Year! ☺️

I finally had the opportunity to test Raine in my friend's laptop, which has the latest version of Windows installed, the same as yours, 22H2, and with the latest updates too.

To my surprise I could still reproduce the "green screen" bug in his machine. It seems the bug lies elsewhere then and is not specific to a Windows version, as you suspected.

You and ffman1985 mentioned that you both have AMD CPUs in your computers, right? So maybe the issue is related to Windows with Intel platforms? Or perhaps SDL and Intel platforms?

I'm posting a video clip of how I reproduce the problem in my friend's laptop so you can make sure you cannot reproduce it in your AMD computer. I'm using the latest unpatched Raine version, which is 0.95.5d. Here is the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A-Qd4-CsPOiRQAJx7yDzJbHVtNaWreaC/

If you do the steps above and cannot see the green screen bug, then it's definitely something with Windows and Intel platforms.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an AMD computer, so I would have to reach a store with a thumb drive and try Raine there in one of the available computers with AMD CPUs.

If you have access to an Intel computer you could also try that and possibly detect the cause?

Anyway, I think we are closer to resolving this mysterious bug in Raine. It's not an issue with Windows versions after all but probably something related to Intel and SDL and Windows or all of them together.

Thank you so much for your attention!

PS: sorry for bumping this old thread again, but the discussion started here, so I thought it could continue here.

Oh well since your video is so short I took the trouble to reproduce this here. Well in the meantime I updated my windose to win11, I was starting to get frustrated with mine, plus it was filling its partition because windows has a stupid way of handling its boot disk, so I bought a new ssd and installed a new windows on it, this was better. It's still a windows though so I still use it as little as possible, but it's better this way. Anyway I didn't have raine in the windows disk anymore because of this, so fresh install, I just grabbed the games.cfg containing your associations from the linux disk before rebooting in windows, I installed the latest version from the site, in 64 bits and latest version, didn't touch any setting, and no green screen here (I even downloaded the aof3 rom from raine, using internet archive, I noticed I wrote intrnet archive in the french translations, oh well...).

Sorry ! But I don't think it's related to the cpu anyway, but I don't know what it's related to then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tux said:

Oh well since your video is so short I took the trouble to reproduce this here. Well in the meantime I updated my windose to win11

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for your time testing this bug again.

Yes, you updated the system but you are still using the same AMD CPU from before, right?

You and ffman1985 both use AMD processors, and the three systems I tried here use Intel, one from the 3rd, one from 5th and another from 10th Core generation. It's either the processor or the Intel/Nvidia graphics drivers, because I don't have AMD GPUs either...

But you also use an Nvidia GPU, right? That's why I think the issue is with the CPU...

Anyway, I'm sharing with you my Raine folder, which has virtually all the default configurations, but maybe there is something interesting to analyze there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11uGTMzCpUEC3NhgqXN6CfNMDFZVAAcGQ/

I even tried to update the SDL to the latest version in the root directory, but it didn't fix the bug unfortunately.

Interestingly while I was trying to reproduce this bug in this clean Raine setup the screen became green but reverted back to normal, which had never happened before (when the screen becomes green, it remains green until you hard reset the game or change it).

I'll try to get to a store with an AMD computer and test Raine there in a thumb drive.

Hopefully you'll find someone with an Intel platform too.

Thank you so much again for your time. 👍

PS:

7 hours ago, Tux said:

I installed the latest version from the site, in 64 bits and latest version, didn't touch any setting, and no green screen here

You should try version 0.95.5d because after that the green screen patch is present again in the code.

Edited by mer-curious