Raine 0.95.5 : big cps2 update !

Tux

It started by ffman1985 scripts. Found a way to make them compatible with the normal cps2 versions and not just the phoenix versions. Then he noticed the sound associations didn't work well in cps2, normal since they were never really tested. He says there is a site in the internet with re-arranged versions of the cps2 tracks which sounds very nice with the associations... so they are fixed now, it was much easier than neogeo, their major commands stay the same for all drivers. Then I used the cheats to convert some region bytes switches to some regions which can be changed in raine gui, it allowed to identify region clones, that is clones whose only difference is the region byte itself, and get rid of them since we can now change the region to whatever we want. Notice some games like choko don't have english texts for the non japenese versions, which is not a surprise. Then there was the problem of some long standing graphical glitches because of the dreaded priority masks. So I finally added some emulation for these priority masks, it's quite amazing that the driver worked quite well without them for all this time actually ! (and thanks go to mame for their code, even if I couldn't believe it for very long, they probably spent a long time to find this).

Except that :

- the list of games now using the console scripts from ffman1985 is longer, see his thread for details. Here it is : hsf2d, sf2cejc, sf2ce, sf2hfj, sf2hf, sf2j, sf2, sf2ad, sfa, sfz2ald, sfz2alj, sfz2al, ssf2ud, ssf2xjd, ssf2xj, xmcotar1d
 - progear had been broken for 1 year ! It's now fixed.

- the ips files can now be bps files when referenced in a .dat file. If you don't know what bps files are, never mind !
 - some minor fixes in the multiple files selector for "load ips dat files"

- since they never fixed sdl2_image 2.6.x which does not return palettes anymore for 256 colors png, I finally merged the right version of their load_png function to be able to keep the color cycling in the raine dialog on systems with a recent sdl2_image (linux only !)
 - raine can optionally be compiled using clang, it's mainly useful for debuging
 - add back button in game controllers to switch between dialog headers and main parts in the gui
 - Plus some minor stuff... !

That was quite a big update this time : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

Also both appimage files, 32 bits and 64 bits have been updated to 0.95.5, and there was a small problem in the makefile which forced me to make a 0.95.5b version just for the linux packages.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 3

Thank you so much for this new release, Tux!

I did a quick testing here and everything seems to be working OK.

I tried some CPS2 games that I remembered had some graphical glitches in Raine and apparently they are not visible anymore. I tried Marvel vs. Capcom in the Onslaught stage and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter in the Apocalypse stage. Everything seems to be good as far as I've noticed.

By the way, if you're ever inspired again to work on these graphical glitches maybe you could take a look at that old KOF94 glitch which happens in the Japan stage. I still have the comparison video with FBNeo, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xi1mHtqkQKDQTNRKdwB8KHb3p_ugXlLD/view

Finally, one bug report:

I could no longer make the sound associations work for KOF2003. Maybe it's not related to this new version, but something you changed in a version before since it's been quite some time I played this game. I have the directory set as that:

53 = d:\unzipped\games\NEO-GEO CD\The King of Fighters '03 Arrange Tracks Consumer Version [SCDC-00386] - [17-11- 2004] lower\01. 2003 (Title).mp3

Here's the audio track I use for the title demonstration, if you wanted to try:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VcAj1mcNaxm5MtCxw-yKfkHtXDn2wguu/view

Hopefully it's something easy to figure out.

And here's my complete track list in the games.cfg file, which also has all associations for KOF2003:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpbYDWrc16tmuQMuY2LSLL3H8cekTkNO/view?usp=sharing

That's it for now. Thank you so much for your work as always. 😊

I'll take a look later at your kof2003 problem, but this kind of path is begging for problems here : spaces + even simple quotes and [ inside a path, and it's so long it becomes ridiculous. Normally there are workarounds for that and this kind of crazy path is accepted, but I hope you at least tried a simpler path before reporting that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tux said:

I'll take a look later at your kof2003 problem, but this kind of path is begging for problems here : spaces + even simple quotes and [ inside a path, and it's so long it becomes ridiculous. Normally there are workarounds for that and this kind of crazy path is accepted, but I hope you at least tried a simpler path before reporting that.

I'm sorry Tux. The sound associations are OK with this game. It's just that the path in the games.cfg file wasn't matching the one in my computer. I lowered the volume of the official KOF2003 arranged sound track album release a while back in a sound editor because it was too loud compared to other NGCD audio tracks and it was difficult to here the game's sound effects while playing the game. Then I added the word "lower" to the KOF2003 track folder. I may have removed this word accidentally, so the emulator would never find the tracks. I added it again and everything is OK now.

I'm sorry for wasting your time on that. The path extension wasn't the issue in the end. But yes, it is so long that I didn't see it well in the folder:

czJ0zaR.png

I'll try renaming this folder for something easier to read to avoid that in the future again.

Thank you so much for your fast reply. 👍

Edit: I renamed it to "King of Fighters 2003 AST (lower)" and edited the corresponding strings in the games.cfg file.

Edited by mer-curious

Hello again Tux!

Still talking about KOF2003, I went and tried to activate some IPS *.dat files for this game and ended up with this error:

ven8vnF.png

I have the following patches enabled:

2-Lunlck.dat
2-prExit.dat
3-Boss2.dat
3-FxCBos.dat
3-FxCRos.dat
3-FxMakC.dat
3-KvCPU.dat
3-LeadBo.dat
3-MakBug.dat
7-BdFix.dat
7-chest.dat
7-gun.dat

You can get these files in the YouTube video description I linked in the other thread.

Is it possible to change the emulator in order to use such a number of patches? Incredibly they all work fine in FBNeo. I haven't tested so many patches there though, but all of these do seem to work.

Thank you in advance for your time and work.

As usual it seems you wait for a release to test something like that... And yes it's quite astonishing that all these files work without any conflict !

The normal max number of ips files was 20, which seems already a lot considering the conflicts.

With 30 it's still not enough.

With 40 it works, and without any conflict.

The fix is very easy to do, if you had tested that before the release you would have it already... !

It's an interesting combination for others I guess... !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tux said:

The fix is very easy to do, if you had tested that before the release you would have it already... !

It's an interesting combination for others I guess... !

Thank you! I am glad the fix was easy to do. And yes, I was quite busy during the last weeks, so I hadn't much time to play with many IPS patches yet. But anyway, I should report any issues I find as soon as I test other games.

14 hours ago, Tux said:

The message should probably be too many ips instead of too many roms... !

Yes, I agree with you. By the way, I was able to edit my last pull request on GitHub and updated it with a text revision for the IPS error messages. For this particular error message I also thought of adding "Raine will close." in the end because that's what's happening in Windows. Is it a good idea? I actually don't know if Raine closes intentionally or not (that is, a crash). I have to press OK two times for it to happen. Or maybe the game could continue without any patches enabled for this case?

Anyway, I'll wait your comments on this and on the text revision too.

Thank you so much again for your time.

PS: I suppose the KOF94 graphical glitch is harder to fix than the CPS2 one?

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Yes, I agree with you. By the way, I was able to edit my last pull request on GitHub and updated it with a text revision for the IPS error messages. For this particular error message I also thought of adding "Raine will close." in the end because that's what's happening in Windows. Is it a good idea? I actually don't know if Raine closes intentionally or not (that is, a crash). I have to press OK two times for it to happen. Or maybe the game could continue without any patches enabled for this case?

Anyway, I'll wait your comments on this and on the text revision too.

Yeah nice find, I didn't even notice yesterday. It's fixed, 1 message only now, and it doesn't crash on you when too many ips files !

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Thank you so much again for your time.

PS: I suppose the KOF94 graphical glitch is harder to fix than the CPS2 one?

No idea, but for sure they are very different and not comparable. Maybe one day I'll look into it again... !

For your edited commit, well it was already pushed so it had no effect at all here, but don't worry, I just changed the message on my side... !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Just posted 0.95.5c version, there are very few changes inside, mainly the few text changes from mer-curious, the change to allow more ips files, 2 new cheat files from ffman1985 : sfa3 and sfa3jr2, and that's all. It's just that there is nothing big in the works for now, so there is no real reason to wait for the ips fix.

0.95.5b was linux only to fix a make install problem.

And there should not be any 0.95.5d !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1