Sharing of cheat used in Raine

ffman1985

If there is support of ips function, i may have some good hack to share, since I have collected many good hack rom before. (But mainly the boss hack only). Even it is hack rom not ips, I have a tool to create the ips.

Edited by ffman1985

Well just added some support in git, based on these 2 ips files.

The command appears below "Game cheats" (I thought 1st to include it in the cheats dialog, but this one is very specific and it's better not to touch it). It's an ultra basic support, it doesn't support the rle chunks the doc talked about because I had nothing to test that, and it assumes there are no word inversions which was the case for these 2 ips files.

AFAIK, it works well, I can't be super sure since you have to finish totally the game to see if it works, and I didn't feel like doing that !

It was really super easy to add, look at the length of the do_ips function in git, simply ridiculous !

It doesn't ask for the name of the file to apply the ips, it assumes it's applied on the currently loaded rom with the given offsets in the ips file.

Edited by Tux

Happy to see the new function. I have tested the 2 ips that I posted before, and both work fine. 
In addition, I suggest to add a ips folder in the raine directory. If people want to load the ips(s) for Kof97, then he should first create a folder called kof97 inside the ips folder, and then put all ips inside the Kof97 folder. When kof97 is loaded, and player choose the ips function, the list of ips inside the kof97 folder is display and player can choose which ips to load. (Similar to the cheat menu)
How to you think?

15 minutes ago, ffman1985 said:

Happy to see the new function. I have tested the 2 ips that I posted before, and both work fine. 
In addition, I suggest to add a ips folder in the raine directory. If people want to load the ips(s) for Kof97, then he should first create a folder called kof97 inside the ips folder, and then put all ips inside the Kof97 folder. When kof97 is loaded, and player choose the ips function, the list of ips inside the kof97 folder is display and player can choose which ips to load. (Similar to the cheat menu)
How to you think?

You have enough ip files to fill a directory ? Good news, it's probably from some very foreign sites because I had a quick look on the net yesterday and couldn't find any.

But yes good idea I'll make at least the ips directory and set this as default directory when opening the file selector.

Notice I didn't test these ips ingame, but I checked the code after patching looking at the changed offsets and it looked good, it pushed me to make another commit for the l command because I couldn't get the right assembler listing from the patched address (overlapped by the garbage which was there before the patching).

Anyway it's done, ips directory created when you launch raine if it doesn't exit, and it becomes the default for ips files, pushed to git.

Edited by Tux

23 minutes ago, ffman1985 said:

I remember there sth called ips collection 4.3. There are numerous ips for each game.

Yep found it here on github : https://github.com/taoenwen/FBNeo_IPS.git

but it's made by Japanese people, but there are some dat files with some english description inside... Apparently they don't always patch just the code rom. I'll look into it in more detail...

Interesting, they added some dat files for info, but also to tell which ips file to apply to which rom, which can be done automatically by following what's there.

Now the problem is that once the game is loaded the sprites are already decoded, so to be able to patch this they would need to be reloaded, then patched, then redecoded. All the games wouldn't support that because some have their custom decoding mechanism ! So it becomes quite a headache... !

So this part is much harder, but I guess we can keep at least the basic ips patching for code roms.

I'll think about the other options there... !

There was an example of this rle thing, now that I could confirm how it works I added it in the code, this part is still very easy, it's not pushed to git, no reason for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everone, share the console mode cheat for Super Street Fighter 2x (turbo) (Japanese Phoenix edition, ssf2xjd.zip). This work in the same way as my previous cps2 script, except there are something new:

- the 'insert coin' text is change to 'press start', and it can really starting the game by the start button.

-in the menu, all the modes are shown together, there is a dot to indicate which mode is in select.

In addition, there is the 'Enable Akuma/Gouki' cheat, where akuma is selectable by highlighting ryu and then press the three punch buttons together.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KikdagFHHl5TGADzpxU891-NCVTV19C5/view?usp=share_link

P.S. The Company text are moved to the bottom of the screen which result in the credit text can not be seen now (I don't know if everyone like this change but there is infinite credit in the console mode)

The name of the modes follows the 3DO version. (I hope someone still remember this version.)

ssf2xjd2.jpg

Edited by ffman1985
  • Like 1

You owned a 3do ? Just heard of it, never seen one ! It was quite famous in its time...

Sorry been quite busy lately, didn't have any time or motivation to do new stuff for now, will probably return to it later... !

• Like 1

I didn't own the 3DO since it was uncommon in my country. But two of my friends owned it, so I had the chance to tried this expensive console. At that time, I was impressed by the graphic and the arranged soundtrack of this version of super street fighter 2x, especially the energetic character select bgm. I think many people have good memory on this version.

By the way, I also slow down my work a bit recently, but I still want to create the console mode script for all cps fighting games.

Edited by ffman1985
  • Like 1

Hello I have created a new cheat for Street Fighter 2 (sf2.zip) which is a test version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dfI97TkHbwkghvsj-sR6qM1tP5o3SDx1/view?usp=share_link

Console Mode:

In additional to the basic function, I add the difficulty setting in the menu screen by pressing left or right. It should be remind that any changes can not be reflected in the test menu because it is not changed by the dip switch. (Originally, when the dip switch is changed, there is another ram address changes accordingly.)(Also, the change in dip switch can only be effective during the start-up. But I change the difficulty in another ram address which is effective after the start up, so it can be done in the menu screen.) I am not 100% confident on this hack. I hope someone who familar with the ai of the cpu of different difficulty can help me to test it. 

Seconly,  when entering the test  menu during the menu screen, it can not be shown properly, because something is changed for making the menu screen (the shifting of the original text). It is automally return to normal when game start (when entering the character screen) but not in test menu.

Select same character:

Press the coin button to move to the character which is selected or occupied by the other side.

Edited by ffman1985