Some screenshot from the past... !

Tux

After a long fight of a few hours, I was finally able to make my very old backup (from 2015 already !), to work, with php8 and mariadb.

The least I can say is that it was not easy !

And it was worth a picture.

Don't look for it, it's a local webserver on my machine, no connection to the outside, I was just curious to check a few old posts... but it's right that it was a nice forum ! :)

ย 

raine.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I miss that forum! ๐Ÿ˜Š

At least it was easier to embed pictures in the posts. ๐Ÿ˜… (Seriously, this function seems to be broken here, the BBCode bracket syntax with url and img doesn't work, so I have leave the link to the server where the picture is hosted).

Anyway, I wish we could have that color theme back for nostalgia and it would also match Raine's classic download page.

Edited by mer-curious

The bbcode function doesn't seem to work, I wonder if bbcode hasn't been disabled here, but except that embedding pictures here works very well. This one above is done by dragging a local file from here to the attachment zone on the bottom left zone. Once it's inserted into the document, you can drag and drop it to the exact point you want it in the text. And for the 3 old pictures in the console search posts, these are external pictures, so it's the "other medias" in the bottom right corner, insert image from url, it requires the url to be https, but it's not too important since everything is https these days. Same thing for this one, the picture is inserted where the cursor is when using the function, and you can drag and drop it later to adjust placement if you want, all in all it works rather well !

But yeah, this forum was nice, but on the other hand maintaining it took me quite some time, so it was nice to say bye bye to all the maintenance part here, even though we lost a few small things... ! (I have some bad memories with the spammers, and also our theme which had become incompatible after an update of the forum, forcing us to switch to an horrible white theme for a while, until I finally took the time to fix everything in the theme to make it compatible again. The irony here is that this good old theme worked out of the box, but the upgrade did not, it failed miserably while trying to update the database, so it would probably be a nightmare to maintain again... !).

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hello Tux! Thanks for the assistance on the picture attachment. I think that I have had difficulties in embedding the pictures becauseย the forum attachment limit is just 56kb here and most PNG pictures exceed this size limit. Also, the majority of online image servers like Imgur don't offer a direct link to the picture, so it's impossible to use the "other media" in these cases. That's why I may have never used that option and so have just kept leaving the Imgur picture links in thread instead of embedding them in the posts.

Imgur does provide BBCode links for the uploaded pictures but the forum does not support them unfortunately.

Anyway, thank you again for your help.

hum then in this case I don't have any limitation on my attachment sizes then, this raine picture up there is 225 Kb alone !

If they provide a bblink, the link inside is the link to the picture !

• Like 1

IPB (the makers of the forum software) decided some time ago to no longer support BBcode - it wasn't our decision. They just did it on their own, without consultation, and without caring what anyone thinks. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tux said:

hum then in this case I don't have any limitation on my attachment sizes then, this raine picture up there is 225 Kb alone !

If they provide a bblink, the link inside is the link to the picture !

Hello Tux! You are correct! I just uploaded a sample picture to Imgur and could finally see that there's a direct link to the picture in the BBCode. Now I can use the Other media feature on this forum.

Cute Facebook picture

I can also resize it, give it a title and include an external link to it, which I have done.

It was taken from my Facebook feed. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Anyway, thank you for this tip and also thank you Robert for the information on that issue.

PS: it seems that the picture title is not working. I can't see it.

Edited by mer-curious