Sound association problem in kof94 & 95

ffman1985

Hello Tux, just found some new problem in sound association:

Real Bout Fatal Fury:
The music change to another music during battle. In my test, it is Terry vs Terry in the 1st stage.
The sound code for Terry music is 2fh
(But I think all battle have this problem.)

Samurai Shodown:
The Character Select music is associated normally at first. However, when later the 2P press start, and after "Here come a new challenge", the music played is the original one.
The sound code for Character Select is 2dh

Thank you for your kind attention.

1 hour ago, ffman1985 said:

Hello Tux, just found some new problem in sound association:

Real Bout Fatal Fury:
The music change to another music during battle. In my test, it is Terry vs Terry in the 1st stage.
The sound code for Terry music is 2fh
(But I think all battle have this problem.)

Samurai Shodown:
The Character Select music is associated normally at first. However, when later the 2P press start, and after "Here come a new challenge", the music played is the original one.
The sound code for Character Select is 2dh

Thank you for your kind attention.

Ok it becomes problematic, rbff1 seems to be a "type 2 extended", it recognizes more sounds and so they added a new prefix for it, 1d, which is not recognized by the others. Well lately I added 1c, which is not recognized by at least 3countb, so I hope it won't break anything, it shouldn't normally.

For samsho, it's a weirdness on which values the sound prefix commands can take, there was a comment to say only commands >= 0x20 can be taken here, well clearly here its >= 0x11. So well I put >= 0x11 for all the type 2, and hope for the best... !!! Too bad the comment didn't say for which games I observed >= 0x20... !

I'll make a new version for at least the bug of yesterday related to the command line in windows...

22 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

Sorry, just find a new bug in kof95 in the latest version. The music in Terry stage change when get hit. Other stages seem don’t have this problem.

(you may test it in vs mode, both side choose terry team)

kof95 doesn't seem to have the same 14h command, the signature on which I identify the roms is not always respected, sometimes they made changes and didn't change this signature, it didn't happen a lot though, but this time here it does. AFAIK the other type 2 games take an argument on 2 bytes, kof95 takes only 1 byte here.

It's fixed in git, I leave you testing that... Sadly I don't have a precise list of which neogeo games are type 2, to check if some other take this argument on only 1 byte... ! More than 100 games to test, some volunteers ? (plus it requires a debug build to find out which type of association it is...).

edit : took the time to test quite a lot of them, in fact the vast majority of type 2 take this argument on 1 byte ! I stopped at pulstar for now because it's detected as a type 2 although its songs can't be tested in the gui for some reason ! I'll continue later. So far the roms which take this argument on 3 bytes are at least : aof3, magdrop3, neocup98, nitd, preisle2, wakuwaku7

what a mess... !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

I find a very very rare music change problem in kof94.
This happens in the boss stage final round. Both side selected character is Rugal (you have to use action replay).
It may happen when one side use Reppuu Ken(236+punch), while other side use the Dark Barrier(214+kick) to reflect.

Here is the final stage save data (not a save state). 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A5FB-UKgAGKy9ZpTEf1moAU-LdkN5Onq/view?usp=sharing

Win against 1st state Rugal, then save at the final round. Set both side infinity energy, and using Reppuu Ken or Dark Barrier continuously. (You may need to load the save state many time)

Update: Here is a hack rom which can use Rugal directly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mFm3VKUiquU4bQNxPdRsYX665zwPoRsl/view?usp=sharing

Edited by ffman1985
  • Like 1

Yeah yeah yeah goes too fast for me. I found pulstar is a type 2 like no other, the only one where in its arrays type 2 are not songs, it's type 4 for this game, and it's the only 1 I have seen so far behaving like this. Except that it accepts all the usual commands like a normal type 2, the difference is just how it classifies its songs, and they start at 80h instead of 20h.

It won't be committed for now because I'll test the whole list finally.

Ok, committed, a new variant variable to identify these special "type 2", the list of neogeo games which are type2 as comments, a fix for pulstar and ssideki, and I think that's all. (plus of course now the games having 2 bytes for command 14h and those having only 1 byte are clearly identified and separated !).

I'll try to see your kof94 thing tomorrow or maybe later, but it seems tricky !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

I find a very very rare music change problem in kof94.
This happens in the boss stage final round. Both side selected character is Rugal (you have to use action replay).
It may happen when one side use Reppuu Ken(236+punch), while other side use the Dark Barrier(214+kick) to reflect.

Here is the final stage save data (not a save state). 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A5FB-UKgAGKy9ZpTEf1moAU-LdkN5Onq/view?usp=sharing

Win against 1st state Rugal, then save at the final round. Set both side infinity energy, and using Reppuu Ken or Dark Barrier continuously. (You may need to load the save state many time)

Update: Here is a hack rom which can use Rugal directly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mFm3VKUiquU4bQNxPdRsYX665zwPoRsl/view?usp=sharing

On 2nd thought, since it's very rare why don't you try to resurrect the demos ?

Load your savegame, get ready to reproduce your problem when you are ready to do it, press shift F2 to start to record a demo, it will ask for a name, and place it by default in subdirectory named from the current game name, here it will be savegame/kof94. Choose a name, type return, now it will record in real time all your inputs.

When you want to finish, just press esc to call the gui and quit (I think it's enough to just call the gui, but I am not sure, if you quit you are sure the recording is really stopped for good).

If everything goes well I'll be able to replay your demo to see your impressive moves and the association problem in the end ! ;-)

I just tested on bublbobl, and except yet another bug linked to the intro behind the menu and the multi z80 configuration of this game, it worked well. I'll push a fix for this now, but it's specific to games with multiple z80 only, so it's not relevant for you here.

• Like 1

Hello ffman1985!

I couldn't reproduce the music change issue with Rugal in KOF94. I tried to reflect the CPU's "fire ball" move (Reppu Ken) and tried to have the CPU reflecting mine as well but unfortunately it didn't trigger the music change. I tried this for a few times without success.

Perhaps you should try to create a save state right before the issue happens or follow Tux's advice to record a demo.

Thank you Tux and ffman1985 for your willing to test and fix those issues with the sound associations feature.

Edited by mer-curious

Here is the demo of the bug:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/194yRDi62K2zQbeaKhFYd0vqzRX5wGJsf/view?usp=sharing

As I don't know how to load the file, it is not tested. You may need to change the bios to AES Japan, if you can't load the file.

The sound code of Rugal 2nd form is 2bh. It switches to the music of America team which the sound code is 24h.

I set both side energy to infinity and stop the timer in action replay.

Edited by ffman1985

3 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

As I don't know how to load the file, it is not tested. You may need to change the bios to AES Japan, if you can't load the file.

Like a savegame, except you use shift + f4 instead of f4.

Thanks, I'll take a look...

edit : well sorry but same thing as mer-curious. I switched to the japan aes bios since it seems to be the only way not to get this corrupted graphics, then I associated a song with 2bh which seems to be the background song during what you recorded, and then everything plays normally until the demo ends in pause mode, the song was never interrupted or changed. ..

It's with current git version 64 bits, since this demo is for 64 bits, but it probably works the same with latest 0.94.4. So I don't know what you did to have a problem here... !

(and these demos are very convenient in this kind of case I should think about them more often !)

The behavior seems to be strangely different with your custom rom, but it still doesn't change anything to the music. And if you want to reload the demo when it goes to pause, release the pause first, there is a nasty bug here if already playing a song.

And I never see any 24h command on my side, so there is no switch to this song, something is wrong somewhere... ! I wonder if the 64 bits demos play correctly then, 1st time I see one actually, usually I use this in 32 bits (32 bits is way more convenient for debuging usually because you can compile without optimization but still have the speed of assembler).

Assuming the demo has a problem since you can compile your own version we can try the other way around then : start by building a debug build (uncomment the line RAINE_DEBUG = 1 in the makefile), then uncomment the line 408 in source/sound/assoc.c which reads :

printf("cmd %x mode %d\n",cmd,mode);

to see the sound commands passing. Then run your debug build from a terminal (the mingw32 terminal in windows is ok) and do your testing. When the song changes call the gui to stop the game, you should see something about song in the output of the terminal, send the last screen of what was printed and it should be ok. Good luck, but I can't think of anything easier to reproduce this in these conditions. It might be a good idea to fix the demo anyway but we might loose too much time on it for now.

Edited by Tux

I just use the original kof94 rom (no hack). I also update the source code through git yesterday. What I compile is the 64bit version and I did not modify anything.

The problem is that even I load the demo myself, with the same rom, same setting, same action replay, It cannot reproduce the bug.

Edited by ffman1985