Sound association problem in kof94 & 95

ffman1985

Yeah aof3 is a "type 2" too, so it's affected by these changes. Your gui "fix" is inside too, so this binary can be considered a 0.94.2... except the code for it was very short, so I'll wait some more but you can use this meanwhile !

Hello everyone, my save file above is made either from version 64bit 9.35 or 9.41 (from 1st exe file provided by Tux)(Sorry that I forget about it). The rom use is kof95.zip (no hack, original). Anyway, the save file works in both version for me. It is possible that we are using different rom.

I try the 2nd exe file from Tux, the problems of kof94 & 95 are solved. It also solves the problem in Fatal Fury 3 Ending Music. Thank you very much for the help.

Hello mer-curious, do you remember which music track cause problem in kof98? It is worth to note that the ‘Here come a new challenger’ music is the combination of track25 & track06 of ngcd. If you did not combine the tracks but using track25 only, it may look like music stop.

Also, it seems that you have created sound list for many games, can you share the list?

Edited by ffman1985

4 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

Hello everyone, my save file above is made either from version 64bit 9.35 or 9.41 (from 1st exe file provided by Tux)(Sorry that I forget about it). The rom use is kof95.zip (no hack, original). Anyway, the save file works in both version for me. It is possible that we are using different rom.

Hello ffman1985! It's interesting to know that the save state file works for you and not for Tux and me. Did you happen to use unibios 4.0 when you created it? This is the bios I'm using here. Perhaps a different bios setting could trigger the corruption? The setup in the unibios for me is "Japan" and "Console".

I don't think the romset we use could be different because it has been widely made available in the internet for many years, so we probably use the same roms. If you want to compare, here is a screenshot of my romset with the CRC codes:

https://imgur.com/a/1jLj1DP

Interestingly, I think I have already experienced this kind of corruption in a save state before when playing Art of Fighting 3. I couldn't reproduce it to file a bug report and so I just forgot about it for a while. Unfortunately we need to be able to trigger the corruption so Tux can check it and fix it.

If you had a save state before the one you shared here maybe we could trigger the corruption from it and possibly fix it.

3 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

Hello mer-curious, do you remember which music track cause problem in kof98? It is worth to note that the ‘Here come a new challenger’ music is the combination of track25 & track06 of ngcd. If you did not combine the tracks but using track25 only, it may look like music stop.

If I'm not mistaken, it was in the last stage of a normal team play. I was playing against the Masters Team (Heidern, Takuma and Saisyu) in the Japan Temple stage. I was possibly using the Korea Team (Kim, Chang and Choi), but I don't remember exactly the characters I was using. Yes, I know the "Here comes a new challenger" sound command is divided in two different tracks in the NGCD version. I have edited both tracks in a single one using a sound editor. If you don't have it, you can grab it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OUfecbMG0TMk11EDDNIgoAThyHzmIx34/view?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

Also, it seems that you have created sound list for many games, can you share the list?

I have created sound associations mostly for the games which had sprites cut in the conversion for the NGCD. So for instance, I didn't have sound associations for KOF94 because the NGCD conversion is perfect as far as I know (maybe that's why I never realized the sound issues you have reported here), so I just use the KOF94 for NGCD if I want to play the game with the arranged sound tracks. But I haven't tested many games to be sure about the sprites cut. It's probable that, for instance, the Samurai Spirits franchise have received either sprites cut or sprites censorship in the NGCD conversions, so for these games the sound associations would be welcome, but since I don't play these games much I haven't created the associations yet.

It would be a great idea if we had here in the forum a data base for sound associations. If this feature ever comes to other emulators the emulation community would surely benefit from our work here. I have always had this idea but it is a little time consuming to check all the games and create associations for all of them.

Here's my games.cfg file with all the associations that I currently have:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpbYDWrc16tmuQMuY2LSLL3H8cekTkNO/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your attention.

Hello mer-curious, I think we are using the same kof95.zip since we dont see the crc error. I am using aes japan bios which may be the reasons. I have also experienced the corruption of save in the following cases: 1. Switching from very old version to recent version. 2. Loading save in neogeo startup screen (the save actually works if I skip the intro first)

(Note: The aes japan bios is in fact not a good choice, just lazy to setup. In kof 2000 char select screen, there is text error when using bios other than the unibios)

About the sound association in kof98,  by combining track25 & 06 to get the ‘Here come a new challenger’ music is good in most case, but it do not loop like the arcade version. I wish only the second part of the music is looped.

Besides kof98, I would like yo talk about there are other games with some music which cannot or not so good to use the ngcd track directly. For example, kof95, the terry team music should add the ambient sound at the beginning, and athena team music should add a few second of empty space  at the beginning, so that it will sound the same way as arcade. There are many other example, maybe it is better to make a new post to talk if interested.

I am also interested in ngcd game specially the one with little sprite cut and bonus content, like the kof95, 96 with extra ending. 

(http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/differences.htm )

(http://neogeocdworld.info/html/jeux/jeux/bonus.htm )

Therefore, I have tried to do something to modify some cd games to make them more perfect. For example, I modify the cd kof95, 96, 97 a bit, so that only one music is playing non-stop throughout all rounds of battles, just like playing rom. If you are interested, I will open another post to talk about it and share the modified files.

Edited by ffman1985

1 hour ago, ffman1985 said:

Are there some games do not support the sound association function?
After loading the rom Real bout Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Shodown, I cannot reach the Sound Commands function.

You replied yourself, the detection is done on some signatures in the sound rom, some are not tested. Although "Samurai shodown" is supported here, but "real bout fatal fury 2" was not, it has a signature very similar to some other games though so I can enable it for next time, but it will require some more testing to check if everything is ok. The detection of the 1st tracks is right.

For samsho be sure that speed hacks are disabled in neogeo/neocd options otherwise it destroys the intro sequence.

Edited by Tux

7 minutes ago, ffman1985 said:

Sorry I type the wrong name, the one not work should be Samurai Shodown 4

Same kind of signature, will be enabled next time, and will require some more testing too.

13 hours ago, ffman1985 said:

Did anyone try the sound association in Samurai Shodown 3? I got some problem on this game. It cannot play the associated musics.

Solved:

It is not the problem of the game. The cause of the problem is that I create the sound list in the text file and I copy and paste the mp3 file link. If I make the sound list in Raine, it is all fine. But it is very strange that I have two games.cfg files which have exactly the same text, when I open them in a hex editor, there are something different: In the not working file:

36 = ‪D:\Games\Neo Geo CD\Real Bout Fatal Fury 2\Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - Track 03.mp3

between the = and D, there is something strange (E2 80 AA in hex editor), which cause Raine cannot load the file. I have upload the files. You can only see the difference in hex editor.

games.cfg:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xIKwp4rmeP6VYxKdDrwG0MZv9bH3vq2G/view?usp=sharing

games - not work.cfg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oructTJwMzzrtooCHkN-vm_E6Uj6h0O8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by ffman1985