Raine 0.94 : small things...

Tux

Yeah not a big release, mainly small fixes but I had enough of 0.93 already. Main changes :

- the new "most played games" feature, which shows the 5 most played games sorted by time in the game selection dialog. You can get details about that in the forum. It wouldn't be too hard to add a dialog to get the stats for all the games played and not only the 5 tops, eventually for later. More details on how it works can be found in the forum.
 - A small fix for downloads with curl, if downloading a clone and the parent was not in the last rom directory tested it was downloading the parent even if it was already in another rom directory, should be fine now.
 - A long overdue update for the profile display (the one where you get % times in the upper right corner of the screen). In all  the time since I added support for sdl, I never realized that all the sound processing was done in a separate thread, so the profiling must be moved there. This makes the display more precise, also the results are rounded now instead of truncated.
 -
The slow down in kof97 for the 64 bits version was found and fixed.
 - double buffer gets a "forced" option to ignore completely adaptive vsync, need more feedback on this from testers to see if it's really useful.
 - a workaround for sdl-image 2.6.2 which doesn't handle png files with a palette anymore, preventing the colors from the raine logo to cycle ! I can't do anything about it for now, so in this case the logo is displayed statically without color cycling, but it's advised not to update the sdl2_image.dll for now (or equivalent in linux). It will help for linux distributions like arch where 2.6.2 is already the official version, I posted this to their bug tracker so we can hope a solution will be found.
 - quite a few memwatch fixes, most of them were harmless, a few in the console might have been useful, I fixed them without investigating.
 - kurikinj is removed because it's exactly the same romset as kurkint except for the region byte, making this version the 1st version which actually supports less roms than the previous one ! More details about that in the forum too.
 - quite a few hiscores updates in the hiscore.dat file ! Now that it's bundled with the raine binary and in git too, it's easier to make our own updates on it. Actually I had added some scores in it for old games from the multi15 rom a long time ago, around 2019, but they were clearly lost in a hiscore.dat update, so I have put them back in, mostly for some pacman clones, adding xenrev which never had a hiscore entry before (the main goal of this version is to make the player lose !). Also battle bakraid finally gets a hiscore entry for its normal and unlimited versions.

There was an update for sdl2 to 2.0.24, nothing essential there, mostly things related to game controllers, maybe I should merge the binary update in the dlls packages. For now I left 2.0.22. Ok, this small update is there : https://www.1emulation.com/forums/forum/126-raine/

• Like 2

Hello Tux! Thank you so much for this update. So here's my quick feedback:

16 hours ago, Tux said:

- the new "most played games" feature, which shows the 5 most played games sorted by time in the game selection dialog. You can get details about that in the forum. It wouldn't be too hard to add a dialog to get the stats for all the games played and not only the 5 tops, eventually for later. More details on how it works can be found in the forum.

I haven't tested this new feature that much yet but I was wondering if a new dialog for "Recent ROMs" wouldn't really be better thinking about the number of games a person may play and how they would look in the top of another list of games the way it is currently implemented (a list before the list). Maybe we can wait someone else's impressions on that.

16 hours ago, Tux said:

- The slow down in kof97 for the 64 bits version was found and fixed.

I confirm that the slowdown is also fixed in KOF2001. Thanks for that!

16 hours ago, Tux said:

- double buffer gets a "forced" option to ignore completely adaptive vsync, need more feedback on this from testers to see if it's really useful.

Yes, it is useful. It seems to have virtually the same effect as the "V-sync On" option in the Nvidia drivers, so I no longer have tearing in the light beams in that KOF97 stage. Thanks again!

By the way, while trying to load the save state for this stage in this new release I got this error message:

https://imgur.com/a/GUACYnM

Is this expected? Here's the link for the save-state if you want to test it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cupxiCpt2OpATgXSuqeQ3JzOJoNQOOki/view?usp=sharing

As for any bugs in this release, I haven't found any that is quite big. But I noticed that the changes in the ROM selection menu have introduced a glitch in which the mouse cursor becomes a little imprecise in the selection. You need to rest the mouse pointer from half above the line you want to select in order that the program registers that selection. This is quite noticeable when you are doing a clean installation of Raine and see the ".." line for finding a location. I have made a short video showing this happening. In the video you will see that I rest the mouse in the ".." in many locations and try to click on it many times, but it will only register when the cursor is in the middle or above the center of the line. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kc3aZPyvhWDUG-XDs_b4ke1IM-L3wqm_/view?usp=sharing

Maybe it only happens in Windows and in the default window resolution?

It is also noticeable in the directory selection, as you see here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvmfM7rTD0Bp9vWhCec7keKXxYosCTql/view?usp=sharing

And in the game selection, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EfT1R8j8Ni2SGRGsDFciQJ7sAQDA9l6I/view?usp=sharing

It's a subtle difference, but I can feel it, especially because it didn't happen before.

Finally, I've also noticed a blank space in the game selection menu below "Options" and this wasn't there in the previous version. I've taken a screenshot from both current and previous versions so you can compare, here:

https://imgur.com/a/pR8Ce11

I'm reporting it because perhaps this could be related to the mouse cursor issue?

Anyway, that's my feedback for now.

Thank you so much again for your continuing work on the emulator. 👍

PS: if you happen to delete your raine32_sdl.cfg file and keep the play stats file, you will have the play stats showing in the game selection menu and Raine will try to download the games when you click on them. Was this intended?

Edited by mer-curious

Ok, thanks for testing, I'll make "force" the default for double buffer then, probably more reasonable, and add "(adaptive)" to the yes.

For the mouse bug that's where we see I use this mainly with the keyboard and you use the mouse, we already had the same kind of problem before, and I was caught again, forgetting to test the mouse, ok I'll fix that later.

The blank space is just the separation between the header and the dialog, use the feature, you'll see it becomes handy when a few games start to populate the list.

The save state is just a 32 bits version loaded in a 64 bits version or the other way around, it already happened to you, maybe I should try to make the message clearer, but it's really what happens it doesn't recognize the ids of the cpu emulators of the other version, and making the message clearer is not so obvious, but I could add something generic like "maybe it's a 32 bits save" when loaded in the 64 bits version, and the other way around for the 32 bits version, I'll do that.

• Like 1

hello  and thx.

I can't load two neogeo cd games in a row, the emulator "can't find the iso" on the second game launched then crashes. On the other hand, if I restart the emu between each new game, no worries, cache problem or other? test on multiple machines.

Edited by pmc2

3 hours ago, pmc2 said:

hello  and thx.

I can't load two neogeo cd games in a row, the emulator "can't find the iso" on the second game launched then crashes. On the other hand, if I restart the emu between each new game, no worries, cache problem or other? test on multiple machines.

Ok, confirmed, that's if using 2 neocd games which both read their files from an iso, it's a 1 error mistake, forgot to clear a file after freeing it.

Workaround : extract all the files from the iso and put that in a zip file, then delete the iso, it will take less space and it will work !

It's fixed anyway...

• Like 2