Setting up the cheats in NeoRaine for Samurai Shodown RPG.

sagatwarrior

NeoRaine has been merged into raine in 2013 ! you are 9 years old, yeah !

Anyway download the latest raine, I just uploaded a new 0.93.5 by the way, download also the corresponding dlls (32 or 64 bits), then you just need to launch the game, and once it's started you should see the cheats either by returning to the menu and choosing "Action replay cheats", or by pressing Alt-C by default while inside the game.

by the way there was some partially translated samurai spirits rpg, enough to be playable in english. I thought it was uploaded somewhere here, but I can't find it, it's an old file already, 2014, it replaces the default files in the iso, if you don't have it tell me and I'll put that somewhere...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks for responding. Are their anymore cheats that can be found. So we now have competing coders, Deuce (Yes, THAT Deuce) and another coder, msmalik68, who are working on their own English versions of SSRPG. You can go to Deuce's Twitter, The Price of Reason, and Chrono Crash, is where the other dude is. If you could help us out in anyway to transfer the cheat code from NeoRaine, it would be much appreciated.

Hello Tux and sagatwarrior.

I was able to find a thread at romhacking.netwhich was created by Deuce recently and he mentions a limitation he found in Raine which wouldn't let him test his translation as exactly as he wanted. I think it's something to do with the pause function in Raine. Maybe Tux could check that and see if it's possible to help him if it's the case.

Here's the thread: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=36697.0

PS: Deuce also explains in the thread that he never finished the translation back then because a part of the work was lost in a HDD crash, which made him lose the motivation to continue until recently.

56 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux and sagatwarrior.

I was able to find a thread at romhacking.netwhich was created by Deuce recently and he mentions a limitation he found in Raine which wouldn't let him test his translation as exactly as he wanted. I think it's something to do with the pause function in Raine. Maybe Tux could check that and see if it's possible to help him if it's the case.

Here's the thread: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=36697.0

PS: Deuce also explains in the thread that he never finished the translation back then because a part of the work was lost in a HDD crash, which made him lose the motivation to continue until recently.

You mean the part which is stroked now ? (a line going over the whole section, that's the only place where he talks about neoraine and pause).

Oh well time flies while he's doing his things, neoraine is now ancient history, this is totally outdated stuff.

And for me the translation is finished enough as it is now, I was able to play the game enough to determine that finally, it's not a good game, even compared to the worst final fantasy (a reference in the jrpg category) it's still very bad (and not having videos is ok). Plus the guy never comes here and we are supposed to find his threads all over the internet ? Just forget about all this, it's not worth it. I mean if someone wants to spend time on it, no problem with me, but it will certainly not be me.

By the way most of the translations functions added to raine were for the sdl1 version, they have not been tested in ages and are probably mostly broken in the sdl2 version, I should probably remove all of them, they have become useless, but I just leave them in case maybe one day they will be useful for something else, after all it doesn't make any harm.

But congratulations for finding the thread anyway !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, Tux said:

Oh well time flies while he's doing his things, neoraine is now ancient history, this is totally outdated stuff.

Hello Tux! Thanks for checking that thread. So what Deuce complains there about the pause function in NeoRaine is already fixed in recent Raine versions, right?

And for me the translation is finished enough as it is now,

He also explains in the thread that the script was already 100% translated and he had a beta version which leaked back then and then someone released this version without his permission. That's probably the version you have there. But now he is indeed finishing all the details in his work, especially in relation to the synchronization between some voiced Japanese dialogues and the English translation.

I was able to play the game enough to determine that finally, it's not a good game, even compared to the worst final fantasy (a reference in the jrpg category) it's still very bad (and not having videos is ok).

I believe it will be worth trying if someone is interested in the Samurai Spirits franchise and/or just curious on how a NGCD RPG game would perform if more companies released games for the system.

Thank you so much for your attention.

4 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! Thanks for checking that thread. So what Deuce complains there about the pause function in NeoRaine is already fixed in recent Raine versions, right?

No idea, with the line barring it it's barely readable so I didn't bother to try to read it !

4 hours ago, mer-curious said:

He also explains in the thread that the script was already 100% translated and he had a beta version which leaked back then and then someone released this version without his permission. That's probably the version you have there. But now he is indeed finishing all the details in his work, especially in relation to the synchronization between some voiced Japanese dialogues and the English translation.

I believe it will be worth trying if someone is interested in the Samurai Spirits franchise and/or just curious on how a NGCD RPG game would perform if more companies released games for the system.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Yeah well neocd main purpose was to port games from the arcade, normal since the hardware is so similar to neogeo, that's the reason why almost all the games are arcade or action. I think they just made an attempt with this, and considered it was just not good enough to translate it to sell it in foreign countries. After trying it, I agree, it feels like a start, but really not enough depth in it.

Those interested have probably gotten the file translated iso by now, which was really the better approach, how many years was it already ? Way too long for sure !

Also rpgs were maybe a little less popular at that time, but we had "dungeon master" on atari st and amiga in 87, so long before that, and it's still legendary (maybe not so legendary today, but it was a tremendous hit at the time !), so it's not because of the platform that the game is not good, it's just a lack of motivation.

They probably wanted to add a bit of rpg but keep the action paced game they had for the samurai spirits serie, but the result is lot of repetitive fights, without the cheat to turn random encounters off it becomes highly irritating very quickly in the game.

Edited by Tux

2 hours ago, Tux said:

No idea, with the line barring it it's barely readable so I didn't bother to try to read it !

I was able to remove the stroke by just copying the text to Notepad (apparently the stroke is a formatting attribute, so when we copy to Notepad it is eliminated). Here you have it:

DONE -- I need to dig in and really scrutinize the font routine's pause and timing commands. In order to do this, I need to be able to cleanly take screenshots of the text boxes and time measure frame-by-frame how long the game takes to display each font tile when fed a variety of values. NeoRaine is a great all-around emulator, but using the hardware pause function causes the text box to disappear, making it useless for these purposes. Nebula 2.23a will run SSRPG and has a working frame advance, but the issue is that: a. there's no repeat delay on keystrokes for frame advance, meaning that if I linger a split second too long while tapping Space to advance, it just runs the emulator like normal for however long Space is held, and b. I have not found a Windows macro recording app that works with Nebula (MacroRecorder runs, but Nebula simply ignores the commands it supplies). NeoCD/SDL does not work on my PC. If anyone knows of another NGCD emulator or macro program that will meet these needs, I'd appreciate anyone pointing them to me.

Pay attention that he says it is "done", so he could work around this issue already hopefully. But I was just curious if maybe this was something you could work on (Neo)Raine, if ever possible/doable.

Thank you again for your time.

Still no idea, what's this text box which disappears while in pause he talks about ? It's unlikely it was something from the gui because he wouldn't find it in nebula then, so I don't know what it is, in pause the screen is drawn normally... !

Anyway as I said, just forget it, outdated.

• Like 1