KOF2001 sound associations and other bugs

mer-curious

And finally updated the playing function from the "manage associations" dialog to handle the loop, and if you entered the sound commands dialog with a track playing, it's restored when you leave. And a new binary is on its way... !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bang, Iccuslus suddenly exited from hibernation and fixed sdl_sound... ! See there : https://github.com/icculus/SDL_sound/commits/main almost 1 month later, but better now than never of course...

Now I hesitate : is it better to remove the new mp3 dll and return to the old decoder and just forget all that and stay with what we have ?
Well luckily only 1 version used the new dll, and it was included in the raine archive, so removing it now will have no consequence.
So I guess it's probably the thing to do, the mp3 decoder used in sdl_sound is still smaller and maybe faster...

Oh at least I'll have to try it first. Apparently the bug was that when the decoder returned something less than the expected bytes to read (which happens for the last block), it was understood as eof (end of file), and so the last block was not handled. Oh well... He finally closed the bug thread on github with this fix.

edit : yeah, the fix works !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 2

Great news Tux!

I agree with you, I think it's better to switch again to the faster DLL once the bug is now fixed and everything works normally.

Thank you again for your work.

Edited by mer-curious

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Great news Tux!

I agree with you, I think it's better to switch again to the faster DLL once the bug is now fixed and everything works normally.

Thank you again for your work.

It's smaller, but probably not faster, mpg123 is very concerned about speed too, it's full of assembler code inside so I doubt it's slower !

But I reverted to the old mp3 driver anyway... ! (I kept the mpg123 code commented in case it's useful again one day !)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 6:41 AM, Tux said:

Well it does a lot of rom bank switches while on this screen, a few / frame, which is a little weird, I wonder what it needs to fetch while on a selection screen, but anyway the bank switches are just emulated by a pointer which changes, it's extremely fast, and you can see that with the profiler %, they remain low. I thought maybe some kind of weird input which is checked, but it's neogeo, meaning all the games use the same inputs normally (cartridges !). So for now no idea...

Hey Tux! I was finally replaying some K.O.F games lately in Raine and stumbled upon another place in which a slowdown clearly happens, much more noticeable than the one in KOF2001 which I reported some time ago in this thread.

I've recorded a video so you can check how slow it compares to FBNeo, here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UvuYiH-cM93vl_TU3pTefNuZGUb_f2G7/view?usp=sharing

I've also went and tried it with a pre-SDL2 version and curiously it's the same there, so the problem isn't really the SDL2 shift.

Anyway, I'm reporting because maybe in this case it could be easier for you to see what could be happening here.

Thank you in advance for your time and work. 👍

I tried this, and what a surprise, I can't seem able to reproduce this ! My emu is closer to your left window, I don't know what you found again. It's like you get a constant lag in fps, did you check your fps counter at least here ? (even the profiler, it should show around 90% free cpu on a modern machine). It should display around 59-60 fps too. And you should have a lag in the intro between what you hear and what you see in this case since it's synchronized on an audio track (and we had some trouble to synchronize it precisely if you remember !).

Try the 32 bits version eventually, the 64 bits version seems more choppy on this (and I don't know why !). That's why the 32 bits version remains the main version no matter what, you always find unexpected annoyances in the 64 bits one...

Yeah from my tests : happens only in 64 bits, absolutely no idea of the cause but it's very probably tricky. And it seems to happen only here, not in the intro ! (which makes me believe it's tricky !). So if it's a problem to you, switch to the 32 bits version, it's the easiest way, I don't want to spend hours on this for now.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tux said:

Try the 32 bits version eventually, the 64 bits version seems more choppy on this (and I don't know why !). That's why the 32 bits version remains the main version no matter what, you always find unexpected annoyances in the 64 bits one...

Yeah from my tests : happens only in 64 bits, absolutely no idea of the cause but it's very probably tricky. And it seems to happen only here, not in the intro ! (which makes me believe it's tricky !). So if it's a problem to you, switch to the 32 bits version, it's the easiest way, I don't want to spend hours on this for now.

Hello Tux! Thank you for taking the time to test this issue.

I'm happy to know you couldn't reproduce it there because this made me recall I didn't experience this slowdown before, at least as of some past versions of Raine. So I started thinking what might have changed in my setup to trigger this slowdown and when you said you reproduced it in the 64 bit version I finally realized this was exactly the change I made: I moved from the 32 bit to the 64 bit version of the program.

So I went and tried the 32 bit version and you are totally right, there is no slowdown there neither in the KOF97 "how to play" animation nor in the KOF2001 order select screen.

I will be then switching to the 32 bit version again for the time being.

Do you think it is worth it to warn users about this choppiness of the 64 bit version? Perhaps adding in the downloads page that the 64 bit is "experimental" or something like this. I guess many developers do this for their 64 bit versions.

Anyway, thank you so much again for your time and work. 👍

Edited by mer-curious

Oh well it's fixable, but I'll need to investigate for that, I'll probably do it later (if ever rain comes back to France it will vastly increase the chances to see that happening !).

And for the warning, those following raine know the real raine remains the 32 bits version, although I thought the 64 bits version was now totally compatible, but raine is all about crazy optimizations and assembler, you loose most of that in the 64 bits version.

Don't worry, it will be fixed, but not now...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, apparently it's fixed, it was a very tiny forgotten thing for Musashi, just forgot to reset the executed cycles once a frame is executed, that's all.

You should be able to test the 64 bits version next time.

• Like 1