Raine 0.93.2 : final 0.93 version...

Tux

53 minutes ago, Neville said:

No, my CPU is not overclocked. The figure could be wrong, though, it's the one Windows gave me.

Well I actually have the same cpu on my main machine. From cpupower frequency-info :

hardware limits: 1.55 GHz - 3.20 GHz
  available frequency steps:  3.20 GHz, 2.80 GHz, 1.55 GHz

It's a good cpu, easy to overclock, but which can also become very easily unstable, I had a quite a few problems when I first got it.

So 3.7 GHz is very far from its normal frequency, even with some small boost, and freezes as you describe are quite common for an overclocked cpu over its limit.
With its 8 cores + 8 threads, it makes 16 virtual cpus, it's a beast to compile things, even at its vanilla settings, and it's much better to have something always stable.

Anyway you say it isn't well maybe, but I can't reproduce this, so until someone can reproduce that reliably, I'll just forget this...

2 hours ago, Tux said:

Wouldn't you have overclocked your cpu by chance ? The base frequency of this chip is not that high if I'm not mistaken..

As I said, no overclocking: https://www.pccomponentes.com/procesador-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-37-ghz

But I may have been abusing my CPU lately, re-compressing video while I go through my usual stuff, including fiddling with Raine.

Raine's crash (better freeze, and yes... in this moment fan on the i7 or gfx card becomes audible ) problem has been present since a couple of versions back (Appling graphics ..). So this is not an overclocking problem. I thought this was related to the IA dumps (im too lazy to find this dump on local hdd than I clicked for Internet Archive dumps), but that's probably not the problem. I have not tested the latest versions yet.

Edited by faustXXX

1 hour ago, Neville said:

As I said, no overclocking: https://www.pccomponentes.com/procesador-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-37-ghz

But I may have been abusing my CPU lately, re-compressing video while I go through my usual stuff, including fiddling with Raine.

That's the advantage of non overclocked cpus : you can "abuse" them continually, there will never be any crash ! There are serious stability tests for an overclocked cpu, like running for a whole night memtest86 in loop, and it should not get a single error after a whole night (or even better, a whole day).

Anyway...

1 hour ago, faustXXX said:

Last version (x64) still has same problem.

Video (if i could publish link, remove space)

www.t2e.pl / www / files / 2022-02-23 / Raine v0.93.2 2022-02-23 20-28-34-t2e.pl.mp4

I don't know why you didn't post the link directly, there were spaces everywhere in your link, anyway...

You finally found something !

1) loading gauntlets 1st fails because it needs the parent set which is gauntlet and it hasn't got it.

2) after loading gauntlet you get a crash because the default sound init is bad for some reason, if you want to fix it on your side, either open the sound options dialog once, or just quit so that the config file is saved, the crash won't come back !

And yeah it should know about loading directly the parent set from internet archive, but anyway...

I'll see about fixing this sound issue, even if it happens only when you run without any config file !

edit : fixed both, it now knows how to load gauntlets even if the rom directory is empty, and it doesn't crash on the 1st sound init like it did here. But I won't make another binary today, sorry, too much coding with all the allocations fixes today, I'll see that tomorrow, thanks for the report anyway !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hey Tux! I suppose the fix you have provided to FaustXXX's bug report should also deal with Neville's freeze as well, right? In case it doesn't, I just found out that you don't have to go full-screen nor play with the Video settings to trigger the issue. Just try to load a game after populating the game list and this should make the program freeze.

A video of it happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YC16cm52TfcY-hG4Rck7TbHGzmbOuPEt/view?usp=sharing

I suppose it should definitely have to do with the lack of a config file in the config folder because this is what we all had in common in our setups. So in the end it wasn't a CPU overclock or video drivers issue.

Anyway, thank you again for your super fast work!

38 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! I suppose the fix you have provided to FaustXXX's bug report should also deal with Neville's freeze as well, right? In case it doesn't, I just found out that you don't have to go full-screen nor play with the Video settings to trigger the issue. Just try to load a game after populating the game list and this should make the program freeze.

A video of it happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YC16cm52TfcY-hG4Rck7TbHGzmbOuPEt/view?usp=sharing

I suppose it should definitely have to do with the lack of a config file in the config folder because this is what we all had in common in our setups. So in the end it wasn't a CPU overclock or video drivers issue.

Anyway, thank you again for your super fast work!

Yep the cause was indeed the lack of config file. It's something new with sdl2, there is a slight modification in the sound thread, it starts faster now, so here it asks for some data before the sound chip had time to initialize and it creates a crash. For some reason it happened only if there was no config.

And since I almost never remove my config file, it took me quite some time to notice, even when I reboot in windows to test a new version it keeps its config file.

The fix is just moving a call a few lines down, very easy to fix, but quite hard to find indeed.

Anyway those who kept their config files never experienced this, and in linux the config file is in a separate directory, which makes it even less likely to run a new version without any config file if raine was used at least once before...

• Like 1