Raine 0.93

Tux

Ok, particular version since it adds 3 gauntlets games (the main one, the spanish version which doesn't speak spanish so it's not really interesting, and the 2) which work perfectly with the C cpu cores (64 bits version), but not well at all with the asm cpu cores (32 bits). I might return to that with new ideas later, but since the changes are already becoming quite big, it was probably a good time to release this. These games are really a playground for hackers with all the crazy stuff inside, I might play more later then... ! About the games themselves, these are really multiplayer games, you can test this in solo, but you won't get far. By the way, big thanks to the advancmame team which maintained an old version of mame which can still be compiled nowdays, I used this for testing stuff while trying to understand how things worked, very convenient... Again the new games can be played only in 64 bits, they can be launched in 32 bits, but don't complain if there are problems ! They were some big beasts finally, adding 2 new sound chips + the slapstic support. Ah also despite the original hardware having a 68010, I found they work very well with a 68000 only, so I left the 68000, it's easier.

You'll notice the binaries are 1 Mb bigger than usual, that's because they contain an update to sdl2 (I'll update the dlls package later), the updated history.dat file (which won't be in all releases but this time it was updated with the new games info). There are also some new cheats for the new games but these are small.

Except that, a lot of fixes as usual, this version is smarter with internet archive so it's able to get its files from more directories so it's already able to get the gauntlet roms and the updated toaplan2 ones. It also removes the ssl verification which gave me an error when I tested this in windows (I wonder if it ever worked in windows, I don't think I tested this in windows ?). Other fixes for the ksystem games which were still trying 8bpp functions (kikikai, knightb and kicknrun, very old games too), for toaplan2 (there was a high probability of crash if loading more than 1 toaplan2 game in the same session), the gui (mouse wheel support was not perfect), the console (basic support for the 6502 which also allows to use cheats for games using only some 6502, never noticed they didn't work before, too many things to test, really... ! And some fix for the 68000 breakpoints too).

That's all ? Yeah I think... Ah I had a problem when testing the windows binaries in wine, but they work well in my native windows 10, so I released them anyway, I'll make some more tests with wine later. And the linux binaries will be updated soon too...

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

edit : for the linux binaries there was an update to muparser in arch just now, my 64 bits version is now 2.3.3 while the 32 bits version is still 2.3.2 ! So well the 32 bits version can't be compiled for now, I'll fix that tomorrow.

edit 2 : finally I updated my 32 bits libmuparser manually so that I can compile this. The pkgbuild and the archive are posted, but you won't be able to compile this on your side without muparser-2.3.3 in 32 bits ! You can use the archive though (.tar.xz), should be binary compatible with 2.3.2.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 3

On 2/2/2022 at 3:21 PM, Tux said:

You'll notice the binaries are 1 Mb bigger than usual, that's because they contain an update to sdl2 (I'll update the dlls package later), the updated history.dat file (which won't be in all releases but this time it was updated with the new games info). There are also some new cheats for the new games but these are small.

Hey Tux! Thanks for this new release.

I haven't tested it yet because you said you would update the DLLs package but, as far as I've noticed, the modification date for the packages in the Downloads page is still from December 2021. Is this OK for this new version?

Or perhaps I may have misunderstood what you said about updating the packages?

Anyway, thank you so much again for your continuing work on the program.

I haven't tested it yet because you said you would update the DLLs package but, as far as I've noticed, the modification date for the packages in the Downloads page is still from December 2021. Is this OK for this new version?

Test and see! ^^ Package work with 93, update or not ;)

• Like 1

Of course you can test that, the update is a minor one, 2.0.20 is mainly a bug fix release, even if you remove the new dll and use the old one it will most probably work.

I plan to just put the new SDL2.dll in the old dlls package later.

edit : done !

This release as all the others was simply made to be unpacked over an old one, replacing files. Of course if you install it in a new dir it's a little awkward if you unpack the dlls package after it, but anyway it doesn't matter, it should be compatible. I just replaced the dlls in the 92x packages, but I didn't retest any 0.92 version, it should work anyway.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hey Tux! I finally played a little with this new version and it seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. 🙌

However, when I unpacked the updated DLL files to the Raine folder it asked me if I wanted to replace the SDL2 file already in the folder. Is it ok to do this? They seem to be the same to me. I ask because this didn't happen with the previous versions.

Except this, I've happened to start using the joystick indexes option and I guess it could be a little improved to make it more user friendly. For example, the question near the top of the window is a little too distant from the selectable options, which makes it a little difficult to observe. Also, there isn't a "Cancel" option in case the user accidentally enters this dialogue or just doesn't want to change anything. Maybe this question could be placed above the options for better reading? Actually, this configuration could be made simpler and clearer for layman users with a question/title such as "Joystick index order", and then we would have the indexes order such as:

Player 1: joystick name
Player 2: joystick name
Player 3: joystick name
Player 4: joystick name
Change the index order
Cancel

That is, practically the same way it currently is but with the addition of the player number and some additional options below. And then by selecting the "Change the index order" option Raine would take us to a dialogue with a message such as
Select the joystick for player 1
Xbox 360 controller
Ascii controller

And then if there are only two controllers, Raine automatically associates the remaining controller for P2. If there are 3 controllers, the emulator will prompt the user to order the first two players sequentially and then associate the third controller for P3 automatically, and if there are four joysticks, the user will be prompted three times and the remaining game-pad will be set automatically for P4.

Anyway, I guess this would be a nice change to make this configuration more intuitive, but this is not something urgent, so feel free to think about it before implementing this or any other change you might come up with, if you ever think they make any sense.

That's it for this quick feedback post.

Thank you so much again for your time and work. 🙂👍

22 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! I finally played a little with this new version and it seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. 🙌

However, when I unpacked the updated DLL files to the Raine folder it asked me if I wanted to replace the SDL2 file already in the folder. Is it ok to do this? They seem to be the same to me. I ask because this didn't happen with the previous versions.

You are really paranoid about that, I already explained in the other message that I just updated SDL2.dll in the dlls package, this is exactly the same file now, I simply packed it in the 0.93 release so that people don't have to redownload the whole dlls package just to update sdl that's all.

Except this, I've happened to start using the joystick indexes option and I guess it could be a little improved to make it more user friendly. For example, the question near the top of the window is a little too distant from the selectable options, which makes it a little difficult to observe. Also, there isn't a "Cancel" option in case the user accidentally enters this dialogue or just doesn't want to change anything. Maybe this question could be placed above the options for better reading? Actually, this configuration could be made simpler and clearer for layman users with a question/title such as "Joystick index order", and then we would have the indexes order such as:

Player 1: joystick name
Player 2: joystick name
Player 3: joystick name
Player 4: joystick name
Change the index order
Cancel

There is always an universal cancel which works everywhere in the gui, that's ESC on the keyboard or right button on the mouse, or what is usually button 2 on a gamepad, I thought you knew this after all this time...
At this level there are only joystick indexes, raine does not know if it's affected to any player or not, and you could even affect only some of the inputs to 1 player for what it knows, so I can't do that.

This dialog is just intended for someone wants to use a particular joystick and doesn't want to reaffect all the inputs, then go to this dialog and swap its position with another one.

You see these indexes in use in the inputs dialog, either for default or custom inputs, you see the joy inputs appear as "joy n (name) button or stick", n is the joystick index in use here.

That's it for this quick feedback post.

Thank you so much again for your time and work. 🙂👍

Glad to see you were not able to find any outstanding bug this time anyway, at least things are improving !

Edited by Tux

On 2/6/2022 at 4:02 AM, Tux said:

You are really paranoid about that, I already explained in the other message that I just updated SDL2.dll in the dlls package, this is exactly the same file now, I simply packed it in the 0.93 release so that people don't have to redownload the whole dlls package just to update sdl that's all.

Hey Tux! Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand what happened. I'm sorry about coming to this subject again. It's because I always create a new installation folder for every new release, so I easily noticed this difference.

There is always an universal cancel which works everywhere in the gui, that's ESC on the keyboard or right button on the mouse, or what is usually button 2 on a gamepad, I thought you knew this after all this time...

Yes, I finally recently realized that. I guess I took some time to realize it because this command/action is not present in the "Raine controls" menu. Perhaps you could include it there but make it non configurable, that is, just for information?

At this level there are only joystick indexes, raine does not know if it's affected to any player or not, and you could even affect only some of the inputs to 1 player for what it knows, so I can't do that.

This dialog is just intended for someone wants to use a particular joystick and doesn't want to reaffect all the inputs, then go to this dialog and swap its position with another one.

Ok, no problem in relation to the changes. I just thought this dialog could be more easily understandable by layman users. I personally had some difficulty in understanding what to do to make my Hori pad be associated with player 1 (the X360 controller has the priority for that), that's why I suggested repositioning and rephrasing the questions/messages to the user.

By the way, I guess I know why you use space for entering colons, exclamation points and question marks in your texts in Raine. It's because this is correct for French orthographic rules, so your keyboard should insert it automatically. But for English, this is not standard as far as I know. 🤔

Glad to see you were not able to find any outstanding bug this time anyway, at least things are improving !

Yes, but I'm not really playing a lot lately. But I'll try to report any bugs I find.

One last suggestion is related to the raine32_sdl.cfg file. Do you think it's a good idea to rename it to to just "raine_sdl.cfg" once we now have a 64 bit version of the program? I thought about this when I checked the Config folder and finally realized it seems a little misleading to have a "raine32" citation in a 64 bit installation of the program. So maybe removing this mention would make it sound more generic and suitable for both 32 and 64 bit versions?

Anyway, just a small detail that came to mind due to the lack of more important bug reports.

Thank you in advance for your time and continuing work. 👍

17 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Yes, I finally recently realized that. I guess I took some time to realize it because this command/action is not present in the "Raine controls" menu. Perhaps you could include it there but make it non configurable, that is, just for information?

For the keyboard (esc) and gamepad (button 2 which is usually B on xbox pads and O on playstation, it's quite intuitive...

By the way, I guess I know why you use space for entering colons, exclamation points and question marks in your texts in Raine. It's because this is correct for French orthographic rules, so your keyboard should insert it automatically. But for English, this is not standard as far as I know. 🤔

Exactly, actually that's me who inserts these spaces, I learnt to type this way, and I type very fast, so I don't try to change it... !

Yes, but I'm not really playing a lot lately. But I'll try to report any bugs I find.

One last suggestion is related to the raine32_sdl.cfg file. Do you think it's a good idea to rename it to to just "raine_sdl.cfg" once we now have a 64 bit version of the program? I thought about this when I checked the Config folder and finally realized it seems a little misleading to have a "raine32" citation in a 64 bit installation of the program. So maybe removing this mention would make it sound more generic and suitable for both 32 and 64 bit versions?

Yeah you are right, but most people keep the same old config from version to version, so it's always a problem to change the config name.

By the way in dos it's raine.cfg, in linux rainex_sdl.cfg, and windows is historically raine32_sdl.cfg because the 1st version for windows was by Atani a very long time ago and he called it Raine32, so I kept the name since then for the windows version, just changed it back to raine.exe for the 64 bits version because it wouldn't have made much sense here...

Anyway, just a small detail that came to mind due to the lack of more important bug reports.

Thank you in advance for your time and continuing work. 👍

It's niice getting some feedback anyway !

On 2/8/2022 at 6:36 PM, Tux said:

For the keyboard (esc) and gamepad (button 2 which is usually B on xbox pads and O on playstation, it's quite intuitive...

I agree, but I guess it would be more user-friendly to have this stated somewhere in the program (even if as a non-configurable option), since we don't have a "readme" file or any other file in which we would normally find this kind of information.

Anyway, just a suggestion thinking as a new-comer to the emulator.

Yeah you are right, but most people keep the same old config from version to version, so it's always a problem to change the config name.

Maybe you could change the name and make Raine detect the old filename and copy the information to the new one?

It's niice getting some feedback anyway !

Thank you for your willingness to help. Actually I do have something new now. It's about the new SDL2 inputs behavior. I think I've found another bug in it.

I have a Mayflash Sega Saturn/Playstation/Nintendo 64 to USB adapter which was borrowed with my brother and I finally asked him to bring it back to me so I could make some tests with Raine and my Sega Saturn controller. This is the adapter:

https://www.amazon.sa/-/en/Mayflash-Sega-Saturn-Controller-Adapter/dp/B006ZBHXEO

So, the issue I'm having is that Raine does not detect the directions in the inputs configuration when I try to bind them.

When I go to the Windows Game Controllers setup, this is how the directions work with this adapter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-WbQSHU1ICdcDJEQNlO42u1vUhWkbxh/view?usp=sharing

So as you see, whenever a direction is pressed, it seems that a button is detected too. I don't know why this adapter works like this, but maybe this is what is avoiding Raine detect the directions when I try to bind them. I have already tried disabling the "D-pads for movement" option, but it didn't work either unfortunately.

Curiously the Raine SDL 1.2 versions work normally with this adapter.

The Sega Saturn controller has better detection of diagonal movements, so it's more suitable for 2D fighting games. That's why I would be glad if you could work around this issue in the new versions eventually.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and work.

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

I agree, but I guess it would be more user-friendly to have this stated somewhere in the program (even if as a non-configurable option), since we don't have a "readme" file or any other file in which we would normally find this kind of information.

Lol, there is one very outdated, I hate writing docs. I did that at a time because I had found some fancy program for that, but finally I got bored doing too once more.

Anyway the basic concepts didn't change, so for those who don't know arcade emulation there can still be some useful info in it.

If anyone wants to do it, he's welcome to... there are some sites which built some info page for raine, some rather well done I must say !

Anyway, just a suggestion thinking as a new-comer to the emulator.

Hum, not sure where to put that anyway, but it's not a bad idea.

Maybe you could change the name and make Raine detect the old filename and copy the information to the new one?

Yeah maybe...

I have a Mayflash Sega Saturn/Playstation/Nintendo 64 to USB adapter which was borrowed with my brother and I finally asked him to bring it back to me so I could make some tests with Raine and my Sega Saturn controller. This is the adapter:

https://www.amazon.sa/-/en/Mayflash-Sega-Saturn-Controller-Adapter/dp/B006ZBHXEO

So, the issue I'm having is that Raine does not detect the directions in the inputs configuration when I try to bind them.

When I go to the Windows Game Controllers setup, this is how the directions work with this adapter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-WbQSHU1ICdcDJEQNlO42u1vUhWkbxh/view?usp=sharing

So as you see, whenever a direction is pressed, it seems that a button is detected too. I don't know why this adapter works like this, but maybe this is what is avoiding Raine detect the directions when I try to bind them. I have already tried disabling the "D-pads for movement" option, but it didn't work either unfortunately.

Curiously the Raine SDL 1.2 versions work normally with this adapter.

The Sega Saturn controller has better detection of diagonal movements, so it's more suitable for 2D fighting games. That's why I would be glad if you could work around this issue in the new versions eventually.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and work.

Wow, what a weird controller, I wish I could test this one directly to see how it works !

For the improved diagonal, don't hope too much, the games need to be programmed specifically to use this efficiently, here the games are still these old arcade games with 4 directions joysticks only !

It's surprising that it works in the sdl1.2 version and not this one though. Is it recognized as a controller (well it won't be easy to say if you don't see the directions)...
Well raine prints which controllers it finds when you launch it, so try to launch it from a command prompt and redirect its output to a file :

raine > log

then quit and look inside the log file, not sure it will work, but it should.

Do you still have the testgamecontroller program ?

4 hours ago, Tux said:

If anyone wants to do it, he's welcome to... there are some sites which built some info page for raine, some rather well done I must say !

This is interesting. I didn't know about that. Perhaps you could choose one of these pages to link in Raine's download page?

4 hours ago, Tux said:

Hum, not sure where to put that anyway, but it's not a bad idea.

No problem. My suggestion was to include these commands in the Raine controls because this is where I intuitively looked for when trying to find the basic program controls. But maybe there's a better place for that.

4 hours ago, Tux said:

raine > log

then quit and look inside the log file, not sure it will work, but it should.

Do you still have the testgamecontroller program ?

I was able to create the log file in Raine, which is attached to this post.

Fortunately I could also generate a mapping file with the Testgamecontroller program and the directions were detected there. I followed the Sega to Xbox layout in this mapping because I'm using a Sega Saturn pad with the adapter, but it also supports PS and N64 controllers, so I don't know which standard could be used to include it in the SDL database. Perhaps three entries could be generated specifically for each of these controller models? I also have some PS and N64 pads, by the way.

Anyway, I hope these logs can help you figure this issue out.

Thank you so much again for your help.

PS: this is my Saturn pad: https://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_(Saturn) . As you can see, the Saturn didn't have a Select button, which is generally mapped to the Coin input in the emulators. If I could choose, I would rather map the Coin input to the left shoulder button (LB in the Xbox mapping).

log sega saturn controller

Edited by mer-curious