Raine 0.92.5

Tux

Slow version this time, just some improvements for the sound, you'll find details here :

And added galaxian emulated sound, you'll see the details at the post below this one here :

Except that a few more fixes, the more outstanding one at least for me was a bug in the hiscores which could wrongly reset its status for some game, I found out on some very old one, "ms pacman attacks", which is available from "multipac 1.5", it lost its hiscores a few seconds only into the game ! It probably affected some other games too.
Lots of small fixes for emudx games, it's been a long time since I didn't touch this, by the way the initialization of emudx games crashed in 0.92.4, so if you want to test that you need this version !
Also a lot of sound chips now correctly save their state in the savegames, games like batrider now restore correctly their sound finally (yeah it should have been done long ago... oh well !).

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 2

Hey Tux! Thanks for releasing this new version! 👍 So I went to try some KoF'97 game-play to see whether the save-states are working normally but when I loaded the game I immediately noticed the BGM sound is broken. It seems that only the associated tracks are affected though.

Also, if you visit the Sound options, return to Main Menu, then visit the Sound options again, Raine will crash.

Here's a short video in which I reproduce both of the issues I've mentioned above:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u6XMFeDxGD4hgHuNAVdB87EcxCpzPq9l/view?usp=sharing

As you can see in the video, sometimes you have to enter and leave the Sound options more than once in order to trigger the crash, but it does crash eventually, whether it's in the first, the second or perhaps the fifth time you come and go the sound settings.

Anyway, I hope you can reproduce those issues and fix them whenever you have the time.

Thank you again for your work.

PS: do I need the hiscore.dat file in Raine's executable folder in order to save high scores for CPS1 and 2 games?

Nope the save states can't be fixed, new save states should be ok though. If you can reproduce the problem with a new save state, I'll be curious to know how.

For the gui crashing the 2nd time you open sound options : my bad, sorry, you'll have to avoid to do that for now, and don't worry I can reproduce it without problem here, something to do with an allocation of strings I added in the end without testing it enough.

Yes you need the hiscore.dat file in the raine directory. I thought about putting it in the release archives, but it almost never changes, although now that it's stripped of unneeded stuff it's 70k only, so maybe I should put it in the main archive now. Anyway it's at the top of the extras download page.

Edited by Tux

I just updated the instructions on how to compile, it's now very easy to do it in windows, you can get almost everything automatically, so it would be nice to get some feedback from someone wanting to try that. The instructions are there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/install.html

and they are also linked from the bottom of the latest version page. And the crash of the sound dialog is fixed in git of course ! ;-)

Hey Tux! Thank you for the super fast reply and for the fix on the Sound options crash.

Were you also able to reproduce the distorted sound with the associated tracks? I can reproduce it with all the games for which I have sound associations. It seems related to the changes in this new release.

3 hours ago, Tux said:

Yes you need the hiscore.dat file in the raine directory. I thought about putting it in the release archives, but it almost never changes, although now that it's stripped of unneeded stuff it's 70k only, so maybe I should put it in the main archive now. Anyway it's at the top of the extras download page.

Thank you for the information. And I agree with you. I think it would be better to have the hiscore.dat file in the emulator package "out of the box".

Anyway, thank you so much again for your continuing support.

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Were you also able to reproduce the distorted sound with the associated tracks? I can reproduce it with all the games for which I have sound associations. It seems related to the changes in this new release.

No, not so far. Seems like some audio played too slowly ? Doesn't make much sense, it's a wav or mp3 track isn't it ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tux said:

No, not so far. Seems like some audio played too slowly ? Doesn't make much sense, it's a wav or mp3 track isn't it ?

Yes, precisely. In the video clip I provided above you can see it sounds as exactly as that. The track playing in the KoF'97 intro is track 46 from the NGCD version of the game, if you'd like to check how it should sound normally.

I'm using 192kbps, 44100hz mp3 files. Maybe it's a Windows-related bug again?

Anyway, thank you again for your super fast assistance.

No worry it's fixed, it was a bad understanding of a frequency parameter... It worked with raw audio files, but not with normal audio tracks, and it was noticeable only if using a frequency like 22k like here.

Irritating, you'll get a new binary, but I just found something else about the hiscore.dat file this time, I was using another file here and got a surprise when I used the one currently on the web site... Talk about a disastrous release !

• Like 1