Raine 0.92.4

Tux

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Happy Christmas to you, thanks for all the work you're putting into this. It must get quite frustrating at times.

I don't have any controllers, sticks, whatever - just keyboard - so none of these reported issues show for me.

Hehe, thanks for the support anyway, yeah I tend to use the keyboard a lot too, especially for arcade games... !

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for keep trying solutions for this crazy controller issue.

I've tested your latest update (the one from December 21st) and I'm finally glad to say that I no longer have the left / right directions issue with my PS4 controller! 🙌 Well, at least for most of the time, because I'm still experiencing a weird issue related to the directions in Raine. Eventually I won't be able to perform double tap forward or double tap backwards to respectively make the character run and jump back in the King of Fighters games. Hopefully I have found an easy way to reproduce this bug so you can check it out. Here is the procedure:

- load a KoF game such as KoF'98;
- select the Practice option in the game menu, then choose "Advanced" and finally your character for practicing;
- when the fight starts, practice the double tap forward and double tap backwards moves for a while so you get used to performing them. Use your controller's d-pad for that. Double tap forward will make your character run (if you keep holding forward), and double tap backwards should make him jump back;
- now hit Esc to show the GUI and move the analog stick up and down and then return to the game by pressing the button to confirm actions in your controller;
- from now on you should have the bug triggered and so you won't be able to perform those moves anymore.

Please notice:
- if you hit Esc to leave the GUI instead of using the controller button you may trigger the bug only temporally. Leaving the GUI with the controller button triggers the bug permanently;
- if you press up and down with the controller d-pad in the GUI instead of using the analog stick you may also trigger the bug but your character should get stuck in the crouch position;
- I was able to reproduce this bug with all my controllers, even with the Hori pad which doesn't have an analog stick (I used the d-pad in the GUI in this case).

Here's a short video of how I reproduce this issue using the instructions above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11aTvE1uHXhR3O9NeZhmRXpc230FnWuBG/view?usp=sharing

I hope you can reproduce it whenever you have the time to work on the emulator again.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Edited by mer-curious

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Please notice:

- if you hit Esc to leave the GUI instead of using the controller button you may trigger the bug only temporally. Leaving the GUI with the controller button triggers the bug permanently;
- if you press up and down with the controller d-pad in the GUI instead of using the analog stick you may also trigger the bug but your character should get stuck in the crouch position;
- I was able to reproduce this bug with all my controllers, even with the Hori pad which doesn't have an analog stick (I used the d-pad in the GUI in this case).

As you said here, it's a different bug, just something which survived because I almost never use a pad in the gui because it's inefficient (even though it's fun with the autorepeat). It's just a gui bug, when you press the controller button to return to the game, the game thinks your button is still down while it's up, to work around that just press the button again when you'll be ingame, you'll notice that the character won't play its fist animation (if it was button 1), press it a 2nd time and this time you'll have the fist animation, you're back to normal and you can do the double-tap again.

There was still a little bug in my cancel sticks logic, I made it global so that if you play on 1 pad using the d-pad and another using a stick, you would create havoc, the 2nd pad would cancel the 1st pad !
I fixed it here, but it should already be ok for 1 player on your side.

I'll fix the gui problem with the pad later, thanks for your report anyway !

edit : you got new binaries for windows, december 22nd. The gui bug was actually recent, it's because I added something so that the game part can pre-process the gui events to simplify the code and avoid to duplicate things. It pre-processed the buttondown event, but not the buttonup, yeah I might have gone a little too fast on this one ! Anyway 2 new binaries, probably the last ones for 0.92.4 this time, it's for windows only of course.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 2

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for the latest 0.92.4 update. I've just tried it and couldn't find more issues with the controllers. I also tested Captain Commando with my four controllers plugged in at the same time and everything was fine as far as I've tested. So hopefully everything is fixed for the time being. 🙏

Except this, I've stumbled upon a weird bug while loading a save-state in KoF'97. Suddenly after loading this state many conflicting voice samples are heard in the game (they seem to be from the character Kyo, but he is not even in the match). I don't know if you'll be able to fix it because the issue might be already triggered in this save file. Anyway, here you have it if you'd like to check it eventually: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10wEwA7_9QGo08ut-SRUMoKiNUCVr8Cmi/view?usp=sharing

That's it for this brief feedback. Thank you so much again for your time. 👍

Glad to know this controller problem is finally in the past, I think I'll take a little break and look at what you found later. It's strange you find it now with all the tests you have done with the neogeo/neocd driver, nothing has changed recently in the way things are saved for this driver, so why now ? And if it's something which is not saved then maybe it can be reproduced only if I load it from the same place as you ! Anyway didn't test it yet, I'll look into it later.

On my side when I tested with kof98, I loaded kof98 neogeo first and had a crash the 1st time. The crash happened at the very beginning of a fight, probably dependent on the background scenery, I have not been able to reproduce it, but there might be other problems to find then... !

edit : more info needed, when did you create this save ? With latest version ?

Edited by Tux

12 hours ago, Tux said:

edit : more info needed, when did you create this save ? With latest version ?

Hey Tux! Thanks for the fast reply. This save was created using the latest 0.92.4 version. I might have probably made a few load states before in this turn, but everything went well until I reached this stage, saved and then when I loaded I had this random voice samples loaded there too.

I still haven't experienced something similar in KoF'98, but I'll let you know if I do.

Thanks again for your attention. 👍

Well apparently the status of the ym2610 (the sound chip used by neogeo/neocd games) isn't saved, I had even forgotten it was not saved because it's extremely rare to have a problem of restoration with it. Actually the fm part is saved, but it's almost never used in these games. The reason why is it's a mess of pointers inside. To sum up : you were just out of luck on this one ! I'll see if things can be improved at least a little...

Ok, just added save ability for quite a few sound chips, including the 2610 required here, but quite a few at the same time. These were things to do for a very long time, but since it's boring and I had to find a way to translate some pointers 1st, it stayed like that for ages. For the pointers I simply manually added a name field so it can now recognize them. I didn't test everything, some games didn't even save the z80 ram, so it was sure to loose all sound in most cases when loading a savegame (all the gunbird driver and quite a few toaplan2 games were like that).
Anyway it should have been done long ago, but better now than never !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Slow progress, while I was in the audio functions, I added the ability to change the audio driver and the audio device from the gui. For the device, most computers have only the default sound card, but for the one I have plugged to a tv, it has actually 4 devices, 1 for the analog output, 1 for the digital output (the digital plug behind the computer, that's the one I have been using for many years), 1 for hdmi 0, and the last for hdmi 1, these 2 hdmi being what the video card exports.

Which finally allows me to switch easily the sound between the stereo and the tv, I had never actually used the sound output on the hdmi until now on this setup, it doesn't sound bad...

For the driver, it shouldn't be useful for most users, for wndows it's directsound by default. For linux it's pulseaudio if possible, otherwise alsa, otherwise dsp. The names of the output devices change depending on the selected audio driver... ! And each audio driver can have a preferred frequency, so the default frequency changes with it.

Also the neocd raw audio tracks which worked previously only if you had set your audio output at 44.1 Khz (cd quality), now work with any output frequency, and it doesn't sound bad at 11 Khz actually ! (at least for the game which I tested, which was viewpoint). The conversion for the wav/mp3/ogg/flac format was already done automatically, there was only this raw format which had no conversion and which required 44.1 Khz output.

• Like 2

Very old stuff : I found lately a forgotten file in the git repository, galaxian.c in the sound directory which was a beginning of the emulation of the sound for galaxian, which I had started around 2007, and then completely forgotten, it was imported in the initial commit to git in 2009 and I didn't even notice !

At that time I had given up the idea because the sound for galaxian is quite crazy, there is no sound command, no dedicated cpu for the sound, and the main cpu directly plays with frequencies to generate sounds. Which means you have some basic square signal generated at a very low frequency which must be converted to a playable frequency, and then it changes the base frequency of the signal in real time... ! Add to that that the background sound you hear during gameplay is generated by 3 samples playing at the same time at  slightly different frequencies, + 2 channels for the sounds, controlled by timers too because otherwise it's not fun... !
Since I was busy with sound options lately and I felt more comfortable with sample rate conversions, I gave it another try, and this time it's good, galaxian finally has an emulated sound. By the way this game is supposed to date from 1979, it's amazing what such an old game can do ! Until now it had only emudx samples, but it really felt incomplete, in the real game you have a background sound which slowly accelerates when there are fewer and fewer enemies on screen, that was really missing from the emudx version. You can still choose to have emudx sprites and/or emudx sound to compare anyway !

• Like 2

That's really good to see you back in action!

Unfortunately I have bad news. Tested the latest 64-bit build of Raine on my Windows 10 x64 and none of the DX versions of the game work. The emulator closes automatically with no error message. I have placed the .dx files in the same folder as the raine executable.

I am happy to help with some beta-testing if you tell me how to (eg can generate and send you a logfile if you can tell me how to do it)

Eager to try the DX games on this new Raine!