Raine 0.92.3 : mer-curious version !

Tux

Yeah I think I can call it like that, that's him who reported all the bugs to fix, with great descriptions to be sure to be understood, he was perfect on this one, even if I was a little disappointed to see 0.92.2 disappear so fast ! Anyway here are the fixes this time :

- the sound associations were deleted if you loaded any game which had some. This reason alone was enough to make a new binary to avoid that people delete all their associations !
 - yet another gui problem where the loading dialog was zoomed too much. Fixed, and the default is now to use opengl for rendering, which makes much more sense since it has more options and is much more tested.
 - cps2 rasters are better, see the details in the 0.92.2 thread if you want to know how.
 - and the joysticks configuration changes again, which obliged me to reset again the keys configuration since they are saved with the keys. Sorry, it should be the last time I do that. This fixes a conflict between the hat of a gamepad and a stick direction if the gamepad was not recognized as an sdl2 game controller. This one was hard to precisely pinpoint, but anyway it's fixed too.

Very few changes, but they were necessary. I hope to rest longer this time ! :)

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 3

A short word on the linux version : I forgot to update it yesterday, just did it, and I noticed I forgot to update the new dependencies for version 0.92 (sdl2, sdl2_ttf, sdl2_image instead of sdl, sdl_image, sdl_ttf). That's a weakness of this PKGBUILD, dependencies are not dynamic. There was also an old dependency to GLU, I don't even remember why it was added but it's been ages since it's not needed anymore, fixed that in the makefile too. So there is a brand new PKGBUILD for this version, and I slightly updated the text on the download page to tell the 32 bits and the 64 bits packages are now built using only standard libs from the standard repository since sdl_sound was merged into the source of raine.

• Like 1

Hey Tux! I have some good and bad news about this new version. The good news are:

- the sound associations are working again.
- the glitch in the "loading game" progress bar has been fixed.
- the lava stage in Marvel Super Heroes is looking good now.
- I can now use one of my controllers (the one without an analog stick)

The bad news:

- it seems that the raster effects has made the Apocalypse stage in X-Men vs. Street Fighter look really bad. The character stays behind the floor, Apocalypse is blending with the scenery and part of the background is cut. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/BOJTqUW

I have made a save-state just before this stage is loaded so you can quickly check it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19-nmRTCsGOk3jRsHWnmQ9t67LywESNXb/view?usp=sharing

Beware that if you load this state after the stage has been loaded, Raine will crash!

- If I leave full-screen mode after a game has been loaded, the windowed screen will be blank. See: https://imgur.com/a/RUMYkdN

Even though the screen is blank, the game continues running because I can still listen to the game sound playing.

- the controller issue persists with my ASCII Seamic controller, but now it doesn't get stuck in the directions. What I'm experiencing now is that I cannot perform the special move "shoryuken" facing left (player 1 side). To be sure that it wasn't me failing the execution of this command I tried Raine 0.91.18 and FBNeo and I could repeatedly perform this movement there. It's an issue that happens eventually, so perhaps it's being triggered by something else.

- I've bought a brand-new Dual Shock 4 controller which arrived this weekend and I'm having the same "stuck directions" issue with it. There seem to be something not right yet with the SDL2 update. I generated the mappings for this controller with the Controller program you provided and then placed the data in the mappings file. Sadly it didn't fix it. Perhaps you could try your PS3 controller in Windows with the DirectInput driver I linked in the other thread and see if you could reproduce this issue there. The PS3 and PS4 controllers are very similar in design and functions, I guess. 🤔

Anyway, I'm sorry for bothering you again with this controller issue. Thank you for your time and help, as always.

PS: I don't know if this matters, but the ASCII Seamic controller has one analog stick, the PS4 controller has two, and the Hori Fighting Commander 3 (the only one which is working correctly now) doesn't have any. I don't have any of these issues with the controllers in the Raine SDL1.2 versions.

Edited by mer-curious

Just some quick reply for your gamepads before going to bed : Last time I heard about your gamepads, you had 2 gamepads recognized as game controllers because of the mappings you sent and everything worked fine. Now you buy a new one, and 2 gamepads get broken ? !!!! It doesn't make any sense, I don't know what you are doing with that but it sounds crazy !

Anyway it was useless to try to make a mapping for a dual shock 4, it's recognized out of the box since it's a recent controller, you should know by now that if you see "leftx" or "lefty" instead of "stick 0" it means the gamepad is recognized and doesn't need any mapping.

No I won't change my driver on my side, I don't have an official driver, I have something unofficial, at the time we didn't even think sony would make an official driver... and no I don't want to change a setup which works, it's windows, it might explode if I change anything ! ;-)

Anyway, just load a game like sf2, go into the dipswitches and select test mode in the last dipswitch. Once in the test mode, navigate to io test using the keyboard and not touching your gamepads before you are there, then inputs. When finally you are on the inputs screen try all your gamepads inputs 1 by 1 until you find the one which leaves a direction stuck, and report. Good luck, !
You can try that with or without the mappings file, but maybe it's better to use the one which was in the archive before you modified it...

Edited by Tux

2 hours ago, Tux said:

Just some quick reply for your gamepads before going to bed : Last time I heard about your gamepads, you had 2 gamepads recognized as game controllers because of the mappings you sent and everything worked fine. Now you buy a new one, and 2 gamepads get broken ? !!!! It doesn't make any sense, I don't know what you are doing with that but it sounds crazy !

Hey Tux! Thanks for the quick reply!

So, as I reported in the other thread both of these game-pads I have were having issues with Raine SDL2. The Hori pad seems to be working good after the 92.3 upgrade, so I could finally play a little to the test the rasters in X-Men vs. Street Fighter. But the ASCII controller sometimes presents the issue related to the directions. Now with the DS4 I can confirm that something is still not quite right in this SDL2 update.

2 hours ago, Tux said:

Anyway it was useless to try to make a mapping for a dual shock 4, it's recognized out of the box since it's a recent controller, you should know by now that if you see "leftx" or "lefty" instead of "stick 0" it means the gamepad is recognized and doesn't need any mapping.

Yes, I noticed that Raine names it as "PS4 Controller" while Windows calls it just "Wireless Controller", which is the name associated with the default Direct Input drivers. "PS4 Controller" is probably how it is registered in the SDL controller database.

2 hours ago, Tux said:

No I won't change my driver on my side, I don't have an official driver, I have something unofficial, at the time we didn't even think sony would make an official driver... and no I don't want to change a setup which works, it's windows, it might explode if I change anything !

Perhaps you are not having any problems with your PS3 controller in Windows because this unofficial drivers works with XInput? This would make Raine think you're using an XBox 360 controller, which seems to not be affected by the issues I'm experiencing.

Now I'm curious if Augusto was using official (Direct Input) or unofficial (XInput) drivers... 🤔

2 hours ago, Tux said:

Anyway, just load a game like sf2, go into the dipswitches and select test mode in the last dipswitch. Once in the test mode, navigate to io test using the keyboard and not touching your gamepads before you are there, then inputs. When finally you are on the inputs screen try all your gamepads inputs 1 by 1 until you find the one which leaves a direction stuck, and report. Good luck, !
You can try that with or without the mappings file, but maybe it's better to use the one which was in the archive before you modified it...

Thank you for suggesting this test. Now I think I have a clearer understanding of what's going on.

According to my observation, the issue is related to detecting the continuing input of the directions. For example, if you press and hold up + right, one of the directions will eventually stop registering. It mostly happens with diagonals, but also with straight directions, for example, just left or right. That's why the commands would fail and the character would suddenly stop in the game if going back or forward. Curiously, when I tested my PS4 controller it was registering the directions correctly, but then I started playing with the buttons a little longer doing some commands such as "hadouken" and "shoryuken", and the problem appeared. So perhaps something is triggering it?

Anyway, here is a summary of my testings in the Input test menu of Street Fighter 2 - Champion Edition:

Dual Shock 4: the issue is easily reproduced after it is triggered
Ascii Seamic Controller: the issue happens sometimes
Hori Fighting Commander 3: the issue happens more rarely
XBox 360 controller: I could not reproduce the issue with this controller

For the controllers which have analog sticks (Ascii, DS4 and X360), I couldn't reproduce the bug by using their analog sticks. The issue looks to be related to the d-pad solely.

One thing I noticed about the X360 pad is that sometimes Raine doesn't recognize it and then I'm unable to use it even in the GUI. I have to close and open Raine again and see if it is working. Maybe it could be a problem with XInput detection?

Anyway, I hope this can help you figure out the source of this problem. Thanks again for your time. 🙏

Edited by mer-curious

You describe a low level problem, either hardware or driver level but more likely hardware : a direction which can't be maintained. Nothing comparable to the problem fixed in 0.92.3 where as soon as an unmapped dpad was pressed, a direction was stuck. I have that partially on the dpad of my ps3 controller, but it's very old now, so it's normal (and only on the very old one, the new xbox controller clone works flawlessly !).

There isn't much I can do here. For info I found a way to disable xinput for sdl2 if you want to test it, see there : https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_HINT_XINPUT_ENABLED

So to try that without recompiling raine you need to have some command line like what you did for the controlmap thing, then type :

set SDL_XINPUT_ENABLED=0

and then run raine from the same command line. The default is to have xinput enabled, so you'll see how it goes without it. For me on my real windows it doesn't make any difference. You have the list of hints there : https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryHints

They say one of the differences with xinput is that it supports only up to 4 gamepads, but we never support more than 4 players at the same time in raine anyway.

For now I have no idea for your problem, eventually try to plug only 1 gamepad at a time, they should not interfere with one another, but what you describe is not normal for sure !

For the rasters, sorry but it was to be expected, I was too lazy to test all the uses cases for it, and the lava level in the attract mode was the simplest one, I would have been very lucky if everything had worked without testing. msh is the kind of game I like watching but not playing, so it makes testing harder, thanks for the savegame, I'll look in more detail later.

Edited by Tux

Hey Tux! I tried disabling X Input and then running Raine via Command Prompt but, as you expected, it didn't change a thing.

Anyway, I'm sure this issue with the controllers is only related to Raine SDL2 versions because I don't experience it with the SDL1.2 versions nor in other emulators. It's neither something with my setup solely because Augusto also reported it in the other thread. I've sent him a private message to see if he is using official Direct Input or alternative X Input drivers, but as we have tested, it seems this wouldn't make much difference.

For the time being I'll be using the SDL1.2 versions if I want to play with these controllers.

Let's hope you can figure it out someday. Thank you so much for your time and fast assistance. 👍

PS: I don't know if this is still relevant due to the SDL 2 update, but version 0.91.21 is not detecting the six-button layout of CPS1 games such as Street Fighter 2, take a look: https://imgur.com/a/koGuA2i

Edited by mer-curious

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! I tried disabling X Input and then running Raine via Command Prompt but, as you expected, it didn't change a thing.

Anyway, I'm sure this issue with the controllers is only related to Raine SDL2 versions because I don't experience it with the SDL1.2 versions nor in other emulators. It's neither something with my setup solely because Augusto also reported it in the other thread. I've sent him a private message to see if he is using official Direct Input or alternative X Input drivers, but as we have tested, it seems this wouldn't make much difference.

For the time being I'll be using the SDL1.2 versions if I want to play with these controllers.

Let's hope you can figure it out someday. Thank you so much for your time and fast assistance. 👍

PS: I don't know if this is still relevant due to the SDL 2 update, but version 0.91.21 is not detecting the six-button layout of CPS1 games such as Street Fighter 2, take a look: https://imgur.com/a/koGuA2i

?!? I really don't have any idea how it could happen only in this version and not with the sdl-1.2 version...

Even the way you describe it : if you can't maintain a direction, the source of the end of the release of the direction can come only from the controller (it works by events, it means an event was sent to release the direction). Anyway we can stop talking about that, for me it's exactly the same in linux, windows, or with the sdl-1.2 version and I really don't see how it could be different, I have absolutely no idea how it could be different...

Yeah this bug has been fixed in the very 1st changes for 0.92, and no I won't maintain another sdl-1.2 build, even if this version can be compiled for it. Crazy story... !
And Augusto has totally disappeared from here apparently... !

23 hours ago, mer-curious said:

- it seems that the raster effects has made the Apocalypse stage in X-Men vs. Street Fighter look really bad. The character stays behind the floor, Apocalypse is blending with the scenery and part of the background is cut. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/BOJTqUW

I have made a save-state just before this stage is loaded so you can quickly check it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19-nmRTCsGOk3jRsHWnmQ9t67LywESNXb/view?usp=sharing

It's fixed, it was quite easy, I had a doubt about sprites priorities being updated only on vbl so there was a commented piece about that, it was almost only about uncommenting it (and updating this part).
Well you clearly see the screen separated at the places where the raster has an interrupt for the save state you sent, which gives it a very weird look, but apparently it's the way it's intended. Anyway the background is now behind the sprites which makes it playable despite its strange look...

23 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Beware that if you load this state after the stage has been loaded, Raine will crash!

For that I can't do much, it's because the savegame is done with the speed hack enabled, but it's disabled when the raster becomes active, so if you load it then the 68000 arrives in the middle of nowhere and it crashes if using musashi in 64 bits (with starscream it's not a crash but the game is frozen anyway).
To fix that I would need to find a way to save the modifications of the rom made by the speed hack, which is not obvious... I'll think about it...

Edited by Tux

16 hours ago, mer-curious said:

And then I have a new binary to test for you, 64 bits since it seems it's what you use. The exe alone, drop it in a raine directory so that it finds its files.
It adds all the hints from testgamecontroller, the sdl2 test program since some of these hints are not even documented, and remove a SDL_PumpEvents which shouldn't harm anything but which is useless. I noticed the dpad on my ps3 controller seems to work better in this config. Which is strange, but anyway. Test that on your side. It also includes the update for the rasters. These attachments are quite convenient, I wonder if there is a size limit ? I might delete the attachment once tested.

Also I found a user maintained database of gamecontrollers for sdl2 on github, and the 2 mappings you sent were not in the db, I just proposed them !
I'll probably use their db in the next version... It's here : https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB

... and they replied :

Hi, thank you for these! Can you please refer to the mapping guide for button layout to ensure the mappings are correct?

https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB#mapping-guide

Thanks again.

so if you can take a look... !

raine.7z

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tux said:

And then I have a new binary to test for you, 64 bits since it seems it's what you use. The exe alone, drop it in a raine directory so that it finds its files.
It adds all the hints from testgamecontroller, the sdl2 test program since some of these hints are not even documented, and remove a SDL_PumpEvents which shouldn't harm anything but which is useless. I noticed the dpad on my ps3 controller seems to work better in this config. Which is strange, but anyway. Test that on your side. It also includes the update for the rasters. These attachments are quite convenient, I wonder if there is a size limit ? I might delete the attachment once tested.

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for your interest in fixing this weird controller issue.

So, I've tested this version with my controllers and curiously I could no longer reproduce the directional issue with the Hori and the Ascii pads. However, the PS4 controller is still affected by it, but only sometimes. So I don't know if the changes in this version have really had any effect on that, because it seems the issue is triggered by something else eventually, and when it's not, then I can't see it with the controllers.

But now I've noticed the issue is not related to the diagonals, but to the left and right directions only! These are the directions affected by the bug. I've recorded a short video using FBNeo and Raine simultaneously side by side so you can see what I experience, take a look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CkIAyerK_MkVNvV5oo2B77YnCRRG2tiw/view?usp=sharing

As you can see, everything works the same in both programs, except the right and left directions become suddenly undetected in Raine.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to easily reproduce this crazy bug so you can try it with your game pads and setup. I'll let you know if I ever find that.

18 hours ago, Tux said:

It's fixed, it was quite easy, I had a doubt about sprites priorities being updated only on vbl so there was a commented piece about that, it was almost only about uncommenting it (and updating this part).
Well you clearly see the screen separated at the places where the raster has an interrupt for the save state you sent, which gives it a very weird look, but apparently it's the way it's intended. Anyway the background is now behind the sprites which makes it playable despite its strange look...

Ok, so what you mean is that it's not completely perfect yet? Because I've noticed the floor has been fixed in the stage, but Apocalypse is still merging with the scenery (we can't see his shoulders), take a look: https://imgur.com/a/8jZWH8p

7 hours ago, Tux said:

Also I found a user maintained database of gamecontrollers for sdl2 on github, and the 2 mappings you sent were not in the db, I just proposed them !
I'll probably use their db in the next version... It's here : https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB

... and they replied :

Hi, thank you for these! Can you please refer to the mapping guide for button layout to ensure the mappings are correct?

https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB#mapping-guide

Thanks again.

so if you can take a look... !

This is my ASCII controller: https://segaretro.org/Seamic_Controller

You can remove the weird microphone from the controller face so it becomes like this:

https://external-preview.redd.it/Ol_CfRMT21xCTGQX_zD8WlOBb9EJc9vXzZrFclKWkBQ.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=99c2cbf5be030913ec4260b189b5463cdea3ea9c

And we have L and R as shoulder buttons.

And this is my Hori controller:

https://i.ebayimg.com/d/w1600/pict/283353630372_/SONY-PS3-Controller-Hori-Fighting-Commander-3-Black.jpg

As shoulder buttons we have L1 and R1, and as triggers, L2 and R2. The R1 and R2 buttons are repeated in the face buttons, so you can either use them above or in the front (that is, these buttons are internally connected, they are not independent, unfortunately).

The ASCII pad seems to fit the Sega button layout from the SDL database, but the Hori is similar to a Sony controller, which I can't see a layout available there. So I don't how this particular pad could be registered there.

Thank you so much again for your work. 👍

PS: I forgot to say that in the video comparison I provided above the buttons are mismatched between the emulators because they are mapped differently.

Edited by mer-curious