Raine 0.92.2

Tux

It's still mainly about fixing the sdl2 issues, the only emulation change is the addition of some rasters emulation for cps2, finally, but I didn't test that a lot (actually only on the lava level in attract mode for msh !), so don't expect miracles. It's easier to emulate than the neogeo rasters though, so it's fast. Except that :

- mouse wheel fixed again
 - the gui handles some strings too long to be displayed properly (they are cut now, but the default is still a small 640x480 window for raine, so just change that to fullscreen or anything bigger before complaining !)

- fix broken screenshots in opengl
 - some experimental game controllers mappings for mer-curious, we'll see how it goes...
 - the option to use the dpad for movement only or to be able to remap it when the dpad is recognized (game controllers)
 - and some little details (more default inputs for the joysticks, the hats are handled again natively for unknown game controllers...).

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, pmc2 said:

Mapping work on 10 AND XP, pad 1 AND 2.

comme quoi ^^

?!? I thought you had access to only 1 pad in xp ?

So the version is perfect in xp now ?

Well good news, even if I didn't do it on purpose ! ;-)

To be more precise : I added some code to reset the joystick's indexes when they were obviously wrong as in your case, but I didn't think it would work that well, and I was unable to test it with my current setup anyway (might be because my xp image is based on tinyxp, which is very convenient to quickly test something, but maybe they removed something which was useful here...)

Edited by Tux

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for this super update! I guess most of the issues I reported have been fixed. 😃 So this is my quick feedback:

- The blur effect with the second loaded game is gone, the same for the GUI glitches in 640x480.

- I haven't tested the raster effects in the CPS2 games, but I saw your work in Marvel Super Heroes and it's good that we no longer have the black floor in the lava stage. But it's not perfect yet, there's a rectangle in the right side of the screen which doesn't seem to fit in the rest of the background, see if you can notice it here: https://imgur.com/a/LK5F62E

- There's one left GUI glitch which I forgot to report in my previous posts. It happens when you load more than one game in the same Raine session. The "Loading Game" progress bar will become out of bounds, as well as happened with the other glitches which you have already fixed. Perhaps this one is easier to fix now that you acquired knowledge in fixing these nuisances? Anyway, I've recorded a short video-clip so you see it happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HMt-tc2bKPzEy9thhdNB1ek_Ihu5z09R/view?usp=sharing

- I don't know if this is a glitch, but when you change the video renderer to OpenGL, the "Renderer options" dialog will not be transparent as the rest of the other dialogs in the GUI. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/h5JRqyw

- Still on the video renderers, clicking on "Renderer options" for SDL2 native gives me a "No options for this renderer? Strange." message. Is this expected?

- Finally, the mappings file in Raine's executable folder does make my d-input controllers work correctly hopefully! But if I remove this file I cannot use the d-pad by reassigning the "Stick 0" to "hats", as I used to do before the SDL2 update. Even before I do this the games seem to register directions randomly. For example, in Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition the character goes back as if I were pressing left in the d-pad, and I can't perform any special moves or move the character correctly, making it impossible to play. I don't know if this was the test that you wanted me to do, but that's what happens if I remove the mappings file from Raine's folder. Let me know if I should test it differently!

- And now something new to my testings: the sound associations are broken! Raine doesn't load the external files and when we look at the games.cfg file we notice that it overwrites the entries with an empty entry. So, if the user doesn't have a backup of the games.cfg file, all of the work in binding the sound codes for the games is erased if any of these games are loaded in the SDL2 update.

- And one last comment: now that Raine works with SDL2 would it be possible to support the libretro shaders? Or they are totally unrelated?

That's it for this long report! Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for keeping working in Raine! 🙂👍

Edited by mer-curious

4 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for this super update! I guess most of the issues I reported have been fixed. 😃 So this is my quick feedback:

- The blur effect with the second loaded game is gone, the same for the GUI glitches in 640x480.

Good thing, I wouldn't have had any other idea to fix it !

- I haven't tested the raster effects in the CPS2 games, but I saw your work in Marvel Super Heroes and it's good that we no longer have the black floor in the lava stage. But it's not perfect yet, there's a rectangle in the right side of the screen which doesn't seem to fit in the rest of the background, see if you can notice it here: https://imgur.com/a/LK5F62E

Good eye, not sure if it's fixable and how, I might take a look later.

- There's one left GUI glitch which I forgot to report in my previous posts. It happens when you load more than one game in the same Raine session. The "Loading Game" progress bar will become out of bounds, as well as happened with the other glitches which you have already fixed. Perhaps this one is easier to fix now that you acquired knowledge in fixing these nuisances? Anyway, I've recorded a short video-clip so you see it happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HMt-tc2bKPzEy9thhdNB1ek_Ihu5z09R/view?usp=sharing

Really ridiculous you know ? but it's right there seems to be a problem about its size, but here again if you start in fullscreen it will do... Oh well I might take a look the fix might be easy...

- I don't know if this is a glitch, but when you change the video renderer to OpenGL, the "Renderer options" dialog will not be transparent as the rest of the other dialogs in the GUI. Take a look: https://imgur.com/a/h5JRqyw

It's been like that since January 2013, funny it took you so long to notice ! I did that because 2 transparent dialogs with plenty of text on both results in an unreadable mess.

- Still on the video renderers, clicking on "Renderer options" for SDL2 native gives me a "No options for this renderer? Strange." message. Is this expected?

Yep normal, didn't add any option yet.

- Finally, the mappings file in Raine's executable folder does make my d-input controllers work correctly hopefully! But if I remove this file I cannot use the d-pad by reassigning the "Stick 0" to "hats", as I used to do before the SDL2 update. Even before I do this the games seem to register directions randomly. For example, in Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition the character goes back as if I were pressing left in the d-pad, and I can't perform any special moves or move the character correctly, making it impossible to play. I don't know if this was the test that you wanted me to do, but that's what happens if I remove the mappings file from Raine's folder. Let me know if I should test it differently!

Well I am not sure how you do that, I already tested this scenario by forcing the detection of my own gamepad as an old joystick instead of these game controllers, so I could test remapping the hat, which I did for the direction, and it worked. I'll retest to be super sure, but if it works again I don't see what I'll be able to do about that... !

- And now something new to my testings: the sound associations are broken! Raine doesn't load the external files and when we look at the games.cfg file we notice that it overwrites the entries with an empty entry. So, if the user doesn't have a backup of the games.cfg file, all of the work in binding the sound codes for the games is erased if any of these games are loaded in the SDL2 update.

Catastrophe ! And weird I don't see why it happens, I'll have a look...

- And one last comment: now that Raine works with SDL2 would it be possible to support the libretro shaders? Or they are totally unrelated?

Totally unrelated, notice the shaders currently in raine come from an old version of retroarch.

That's it for this long report! Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for keeping working in Raine! 🙂👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mer-curious said:

- Finally, the mappings file in Raine's executable folder does make my d-input controllers work correctly hopefully! But if I remove this file I cannot use the d-pad by reassigning the "Stick 0" to "hats", as I used to do before the SDL2 update. Even before I do this the games seem to register directions randomly. For example, in Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition the character goes back as if I were pressing left in the d-pad, and I can't perform any special moves or move the character correctly, making it impossible to play. I don't know if this was the test that you wanted me to do, but that's what happens if I remove the mappings file from Raine's folder. Let me know if I should test it differently!they are totally unrelated?

To be sure we talk about the same thing : you remove or rename the mappings file (which is just an ascii file that you can open with a text editor and which just contains the 2 mappings you sent), and then launch raine with a game, and start to remap you controls in the input section to match the version without the mappings file, and once the inputs have been correctly setup, you go in game, and it doesn't work as intended, specially for direction, correct ?

If that's the case then your gamepad is doing something weird, and I need more tests because I just retested with mine, and it works perfectly.

So here is the basic testjoystick, unpack this, put it with the dlls32 for raine, run testjoystick > log to get the log file about what happens. The version for sdl2 doesn't let you choose which joystick to monitor so maybe you'll be able to have only your gamepads plugged to see what happens, anyway once you have the right gamepad which is monitored, just move in one of the dpad directions and release it. Once it's done you can quit by pressing ESC with the window active. Check you have some info into the log file related to the movement and not just the info about which joystick was opened. Once you have the info send that here, good luck !

testjoystick.7z

12 hours ago, mer-curious said:

- There's one left GUI glitch which I forgot to report in my previous posts. It happens when you load more than one game in the same Raine session. The "Loading Game" progress bar will become out of bounds, as well as happened with the other glitches which you have already fixed. Perhaps this one is easier to fix now that you acquired knowledge in fixing these nuisances? Anyway, I've recorded a short video-clip so you see it happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HMt-tc2bKPzEy9thhdNB1ek_Ihu5z09R/view?usp=sharingthey are totally unrelated?

This is because the default is sdl2 native as video renderer when it's the least tested one, I just changed that, now it will be opengl.
And in this case the loading dialog was zoomed to the game resolution by mistake, it's fixed too.

13 hours ago, mer-curious said:

And it was just a stupid error, totally unrelated with that, an old hack used for neocd games which was also used for neogeo games until now, except in previous version I added something to force the deletion of the keys in the configs, but because of this hack it also deleted the assoc section by accident !
Sorry I didn't notice, I hope not to have destroyed anything valuable in your associations but I am sure you have backups for that !
The fix was only 1 line, to limit the hack to neocd only, which should have been done earlier !

18 hours ago, mer-curious said:

- I haven't tested the raster effects in the CPS2 games, but I saw your work in Marvel Super Heroes and it's good that we no longer have the black floor in the lava stage. But it's not perfect yet, there's a rectangle in the right side of the screen which doesn't seem to fit in the rest of the background, see if you can notice it here: https://imgur.com/a/LK5F62E they are totally unrelated?

And finally the rasters, which sent me in a stupid search when it was a stupid mistake, it's just that I thought the border of the screen was 16 pixels, when it's 32 pixels for cps1 & cps2, because of their scroll3 layer which has 32x32 sprites... ! This simple mistake produced your strange square on the right of the screen... ! Anyway...

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for trying to fix these issues which I've been reporting lately. So let me focus on the controller issue for this post:

12 hours ago, Tux said:

To be sure we talk about the same thing : you remove or rename the mappings file (which is just an ascii file that you can open with a text editor and which just contains the 2 mappings you sent), and then launch raine with a game, and start to remap you controls in the input section to match the version without the mappings file, and once the inputs have been correctly setup, you go in game, and it doesn't work as intended, specially for direction, correct ?

That's precisely it! But I don't know if I try to match the version in the mappings file, I just remap the directions to the d-pad in my controllers and then go testing it in the games. That's it.

So, one of my DInput controllers (the ASCII Seamic Controller) does have one analog stick and one thing I've noticed about it is that I can move the cursor in the GUI very fast with its analog stick, just as if I was pressing the arrows in the keyboard. I can wrap around the options going up or down indefinitely if I want. But that doesn't happen with the d-pad. For example, if I press and hold down in the d-pad the cursor will eventually stop registering and be stuck in one of the GUI options. If I want to move it again I have to press the direction again and repeat this for every other random stop that occurs. This also happens when I have the mappings file in Raine's executable folder, so it seems it doesn't really matter having it there or not.

What I'm guessing is that as soon as I use the analog stick and then switch to the d-pad, Raine may randomly detect a move in the analog stick which triggers a random stop of the cursor in the GUI. Is this possible? If so, the same could be happening in the game.

I remember you saying in a previous post that in the SDL2 update you chose to mimic or mirror the stick movements in the d-pad, so maybe this is what's causing all these issues? Because that didn't happen in the SDL1.2 versions, did it? This could be something to investigate because I notice that even after remapping the directions to the d-pad in the Inputs menu the analog stick continues working within the game! So maybe a random register of the analog stick is also happening there, which is interfering with the movements from the d-pad.

I guess this is exactly what Augusto was trying to report in this post:

What Augusto reports there is also what I'm experiencing while playing, for example, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. Sometimes if I quickly press back the character will go back as if I was holding in that direction, and sometimes if I press and hold forward the character will not continue walking but just take one or two steps forward and get stuck there, just as what randomly happens in Raine's GUI.

So maybe disabling the stick/d-pad mirroring could resolve this issue? Or perhaps changing what Raine understands as an "arcade stick", that is, bind the directions to the controller' directional pad rather than the analog stick (because back then the sticks were digital just like the d-pads, no?). Or finally, ignoring any inputs from an analog stick if a d-pad is being used?

Anyway, these are just some of the solutions I thought to work-around this issue, but perhaps there's a better way to solve it.

12 hours ago, Tux said:

So here is the basic testjoystick, unpack this, put it with the dlls32 for raine, run testjoystick > log to get the log file about what happens. The version for sdl2 doesn't let you choose which joystick to monitor so maybe you'll be able to have only your gamepads plugged to see what happens, anyway once you have the right gamepad which is monitored, just move in one of the dpad directions and release it. Once it's done you can quit by pressing ESC with the window active. Check you have some info into the log file related to the movement and not just the info about which joystick was opened. Once you have the info send that here, good luck !

I couldn't generate a log with this testjoystick program. Actually the log is created but without any info there, it's totally blank. I couldn't generate a proper log not even by testing my Xbox 360 controller (which uses XInput). But I'm willing to try it again if you guide me. 👍

Finally, I guess you could reproduce this issue with the directions by using your PS3 controller in the following way:

- Go to the Inputs options and bind the directions to the d-pad in your controller.

- Run Street Fighter 2 or any other game that you're very familiar with and start it by using the analog stick (you'll notice it wasn't unassigned at all even after forcing the bindings to the d-pad).

- Eventually switch to the d-pad and try to make as many movements as you would normally.

- Luckily you should experience the random stops / interference in the directions.

You could also try to use your Dual Shock 3 controller with DirectInput in Windows. You need to connect the controller via USB cable and install the official Sony drivers. There are some quick instructions in this page (scroll down to "Wired connection - official drivers"): https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualShock_3

Notice that the DirectInput drivers do not support features such as gyroscope sensor, pressure sensitive functions from the DS3 buttons and possibly not the vibration motors, but these features are not important for this testing.

Lastly, I was wondering if there could some kind of incompatibility with the SDL2 after all? I found this page about Duckstation controller support and they say some controllers are "incompatible with SDL", which is something I didn't expect. Take a look: https://www.duckstation.org/wiki/Controllers

One way or the other, let's hope this issue can be resolved. Thank you so much again for your time. 🙏

Edited by mer-curious