Raine 0.92.1

Tux

It's mainly something to fix the little problems of 0.92... The dlls change again to address the incompatibility with xp of the previous set in 32 bits (there seems to be other problems with xp related to the 3d, but at least it's not a stupid message from microsoft to tell you are not allowed to run this in xp anymore !), and it's changed too for the 64 bits version because it allows me to make both versions the same way, + it's almost half the size of the previous archive. The only dlls packages listed in the download page are the ones required for the latest version, so just update and it should be ok.

Except that, mostly fixes for 0.92 as I said. The key codes change again, we switch to all scancodes to be able to have default keys which don't change with each international mapping, but you have nothing to do here, it will overwrite all the keyboard configuration if it reads an config file from the previous versions. The joysticks use some saner defaults too but for them I didn't overwrite the config sections in case you have something fixed on your side which is different from the default. The famous bug found by mer-curious which prevented special moves from the right side in msh is fixed, and there was again a problem with merged inputs which should be fixed for good this time. Also you have the option of integer scaling in opengl. I tested it, and I am not convinced, there's no real improvement in the scaled image for me, but I left the option, you can test it and report in the forum. (The option is in "renderer options" for opengl).
Also sdl is updated to 2.0.18, actually they mostly add new functions, it's very different from sdl-1.2 which was frozen in time, for now I don't use them, but updated anyway...

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

Edited by Tux
  • Like 2

I will stay for xp but other than the controls (which have changed with scancode. I have to test this) everything was fine. For Win10, the menu display is now correct for your information (with 92 and 92x this was not the case ;-))

xxxxss.JPG

5 minutes ago, pmc2 said:

I will stay for xp but other than the controls (which have changed with scancode. I have to test this) everything was fine. For Win10, the menu display is now correct for your information (with 92 and 92x this was not the case ;-))

xxxxss.JPG

So you say you are the 1st one to be able to run this correctly in xp ?
Congratulations then !

(on my side there's nothing I can do, I can't even reinstall virtualbox-6.0.x, it's incompatible with current kernels in linux, I could try to install it in windows, but I am not that motivated, it would require to move also the xp image, too much trouble).

Good news anyway !

Hey Tux! Thank you so much for this new release! I'll check it out and then report here if I find anything odd. 👍

Just to let you know that the "Old versions" page is not updated with the previous (and first) SDL2 version.

4 hours ago, pmc2 said:

I will stay for xp but other than the controls (which have changed with scancode. I have to test this) everything was fine.

As someone who is worried about hardware obsolescence, I think it's really interesting that you are still using such an old version of Windows to play game emulators these days! Did you see Tux's suggestions in the other thread regarding this situation? I'll put them here and also some other work-arounds I thought of:

- use a Linux distribution compatible with your old hardware and use Raine SDL2 for Linux instead;
- upgrade to Windows 7 and see if Raine SDL2 works fine there;
- stick to Raine with old SDL version and use another emulator more compatible with XP alongside Raine (I currently do this if I want to play CPS2 games perfectly with the raster effects, but I'm on Windows 8/10);
- ask Tux to support both SDL versions of Raine (this could be time-consuming and I don't if it's possible at all);

Anyway, if none of these tips work I hope you can find a good use for your old PC/laptop! 👍

Edited by mer-curious

I test the emulators and inform about their compatibility. Personally I use win11 / 10/8/7 / xp as well as macos or linux. If an emu that I use loses its compatibility then I tell the developers about it, if they can do something so much the better otherwise it's life ^^
Afterwards I think that maintaining a compatibility will always be useful for someone, so as long as it is possible all the better (like retroarch) :)

• Like 1

Yeah and I am always happy to keep as much compatibility as possible, but it's an extreme case here since I can't even test it...

I can test the dos version, it works fine in doxbox and even better in dosemu, but no 3d in xp anymore for me !

And mer-curious for info, you don't even need a specific distribution for old hardware in linux, the kernel by default supports almost anything. They removed some old code about the 386 lately because nobody could maintain it anymore and it was making things unnecessary complex, so you might have problems if you try to make it run on anything less powerful than a pentium (but I think a pentium is the absolute minimum for linux on my side, unless you are doing something very specific, like a text mode only terminal).
After that you just need to be reasonable and not try to install the latest 3d desktop with all the fancy effects, and choose something small and fast instead, but you are free to try anything !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pmc2 said:

xxxxss.JPG

It doesn't work properly for me on XP, the menu doesn't show properly :)
How is it possible that it worked for you?

🙂 Hey Tux! I've started my testings with the new release and here's my preliminary feedback:

- the first thing I noticed is that the mouse wheel is not working properly in a certain part of the menu, specifically in the ROMs directory select screen. I can scroll down using the mouse wheel but I cannot scroll up, so if I reach the bottom of the directory I'm stuck there. I've recorded a video in which I show you this glitch happening. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X9cMmImh5zIz4IxC4YnSjbtdy0FXbKTo/view?usp=sharing

- I've found another GUI glitch: Go to Change/Load ROM -> Options -> Rom directories, then click on Raine's default ROM directory and you should get something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/6vfR5qh

- the "Analog controls" option still crashes the emu if I select my X-input (Xbox 360) controller, but not my D-input game-pad. Maybe the crash is related to the X-input API then?

- CPS2 games still have a "bi-linear-filter-like" effect automatically applied to them if you load another game first. When this bug is triggered all the following loaded games will also be affected, regardless of the driver.

- Raine's game list is much more readable now "out-of-the-box" with the bigger font size. 👍

- Even though it is more readable, there is some weirdness in the title of some games. Take a look at the KOF '98 and The Last Blade 2 titles, for example, and compare them with the others:

https://imgur.com/a/gEmgyVr

- the Shuma-Gorath moves have been fixed indeed! But I'm concerned about whether this fix would also work for another game that possibly use the same command? 🤔

I guess that's it for this quick report. Thank you so much for your incredible work! 😉

On 12/3/2021 at 7:38 PM, mer-curious said:

🙂 Hey Tux! I've started my testings with the new release and here's my preliminary feedback:

- the first thing I noticed is that the mouse wheel is not working properly in a certain part of the menu, specifically in the ROMs directory select screen. I can scroll down using the mouse wheel but I cannot scroll up, so if I reach the bottom of the directory I'm stuck there. I've recorded a video in which I show you this glitch happening. Take a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X9cMmImh5zIz4IxC4YnSjbtdy0FXbKTo/view?usp=sharing

There was really no need for a video here. I am sure I tested this once and it worked, but I moved the test and it got corrupted where I moved it, and since I never use this mouse wheel, I never noticed ! Sorry, my bad. It's an easy fix at least (2 lines).
If you want some more technical detail : it's because sdl2 uses a strange struct for its event where all the parts are not defined at the same time but only when a specific event occured. Here the data of the mouse wheel was overwritten by the data of a mouse's button test... ! It's a test that didn't test the mousewheel event because previously there was no need, the mouse wheel was a mouse button event... ! Anyway it's fixed.

- I've found another GUI glitch: Go to Change/Load ROM -> Options -> Rom directories, then click on Raine's default ROM directory and you should get something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/6vfR5qh

Nope, not here. But from your screenshot, it's because of the insanely long path name you have, and the default small size of the window. Now maybe I should choose fullscreen as the default setting since the fullscreen is now reliable even in windows... Here it's the old default safe setting : a 640x480 window to be sure everyone can display it...

Now maybe the size of this path isn't taken enough to choose the font's size, but I am not sure anyway it could display all this length in a 640x480 window.

Try a fullscreen and talk again...

- the "Analog controls" option still crashes the emu if I select my X-input (Xbox 360) controller, but not my D-input game-pad. Maybe the crash is related to the X-input API then?

Already told, already replied, for now it's almost never used, I defy you to tell me in which game it's used for now, since you can't answer don't bother and leave this option alone.

I have some plan for it, but it will take time.

- CPS2 games still have a "bi-linear-filter-like" effect automatically applied to them if you load another game first. When this bug is triggered all the following loaded games will also be affected, regardless of the driver.

I am sorry I don't see it neither. Already discussed, you didn't reply what I posted last time... !

- Raine's game list is much more readable now "out-of-the-box" with the bigger font size. 👍

Tss, it's just that the minimum allowed font size is now 10 points. It doesn't change anything for people who keep their config from one version to another, which should be your case normally.

- Even though it is more readable, there is some weirdness in the title of some games. Take a look at the KOF '98 and The Last Blade 2 titles, for example, and compare them with the others:

https://imgur.com/a/gEmgyVr

Same comment as up there : Raine can't do any magic, it can't display things properly if it doesn't have enough room for that. Go to fullscreen it will make things easier.

This title is way too long anyway, but I chose to keep the original here, if you want I can put "kof98" instead, this way you won't complain !

- the Shuma-Gorath moves have been fixed indeed! But I'm concerned about whether this fix would also work for another game that possibly use the same command? 🤔

I guess that's it for this quick report. Thank you so much for your incredible work! 😉

Yeah it's generic, it's the inputs for "2 players 6 buttons" configuration which was changed (for cps2). I didn't try to test all the games, but you found something very specific here, it's rare to see a behavior like that on an unmapped input.

edit : on 2nd thought I added some code to cope with these too long titles for the display area, I hate dealing with this stuff, but it will make things easier later so it's a bad for a future good... ! You'll be able to test that again in 640x480 and it should work. No magic here, it cuts the strings in this case.

Edited by Tux