Finally, the sdl2 version of raine : 0.92 !

Tux

Alright finally taking a serious look at your sonic boom mer-curious...

Just for info there is no "sonic boom" in the moves in the command.dat, bad start... !
And even on the right side I have some trouble to do it, it worked well previously, then I reloaded and can't redo it !
Oh well, I can already tell it's no buffer overflow, investigating the speed hack but I'll have to stop for now, more later...

For the keyboard sorry, the whole key sections will be reset again in the next version : I switch all key codes to scancodes, that's because your idea of using qsd as default buttons changes with international mappings. To avoid that we need the scancodes. Which changes all the key codes again !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tux said:

Alright finally taking a serious look at your sonic boom mer-curious...

Just for info there is no "sonic boom" in the moves in the command.dat, bad start... !
And even on the right side I have some trouble to do it, it worked well previously, then I reloaded and can't redo it !
Oh well, I can already tell it's no buffer overflow, investigating the speed hack but I'll have to stop for now, more later...

Thank you so much for taking the time to check it.

The name of the move is "Sonic Boom" in Street Fighter, not in Marvel Super Heroes. I call it "Sonic Boom" because it became famous with the Street Fighter franchise. You hold back for ~2 seconds, then front + punch. Shuma-Gorath in Marvel Super Heroes has the same move with both punches and kicks. There it is called "Mystic Stare" and "Mystic Smash".

https://imgur.com/a/CNILYI7

I can easily perform it in the left (Player 1) side of the screen, but it's impossible to do it in the right (Player 2) side. I can only do it if I load another game first, such as a NeoGeo game or a CPS1 game. I've also tried loading another CPS2 game first and it worked with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs but not with Street Fighter Alpha 1. Perhaps because it also uses a six-button configuration? But Street Fighter 2 also uses it, although it is from another driver...

Anyway, I hope you can figure it out eventually. Thank you so much again for investigating it! 🙂👍

9 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

The name of the move is "Sonic Boom" in Street Fighter, not in Marvel Super Heroes. I call it "Sonic Boom" because it became famous with the Street Fighter franchise. You hold back for ~2 seconds, then front + punch. Shuma-Gorath in Marvel Super Heroes has the same move with both punches and kicks. There it is called "Mystic Stare" and "Mystic Smash".

I can easily perform it in the left (Player 1) side of the screen, but it's impossible to do it in the right (Player 2) side. I can only do it if I load another game first, such as a NeoGeo game or a CPS1 game. I've also tried loading another CPS2 game first and it worked with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs but not with Street Fighter Alpha 1. Perhaps because it also uses a six-button configuration? But Street Fighter 2 also uses it, although it is from another driver...

Anyway, I hope you can figure it out eventually. Thank you so much again for investigating it! 🙂👍

no cps1 & cps2 share the same driver there are very little differences between the 2 actually...
Ok, I could reproduce the problem even if I can't do it 100% of the time on the left, I am also at 0% on the right, which is very puzzling !

No idea for now...
What I did to test that : a 2 player game with shuma gorath against himself, so I switch the gamepad to test 1 or another, and I have the cheat "infinite timer" if I need more time...

And very strangely at a time every tlme I loaded my savegame the left shuma did this famous move as soon as it was loaded when I am sure I did the savegame with nobody moving ! I overwrote the save in frustration, but maybe I should have kept it to understand what happens here... (actually it was not in frustration, it was because for some reason the change in commands had made that one of the joystick buttons was also a button to create a new savegame... ! Normally there is no joystick button mapped there, so no idea how it happened to be here, but my save was destroyed anyway!) something very strange for sure, but it's not easy to track these special moves !

It's not the speed hack neither...

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Tux said:

Ok, I built a new binary without this stupid dependence

The others can test this if they want too, it's an updated binary with a few fixes, and the dlls are smaller since they are no longer the precompiled ones from mingw32.
dlls : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/dlls32-0.92x.7z
binary : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/raine32-0.92x.7z
What was running the computer with your font problem by the way ? You might want to test that on it too...

---------------------------------------------

0.92x works on xp but does not show the menu correctly :(

raine.png.b322b2fdcbd414d714b1fa448c947006.png

Edited by ste2

1 hour ago, ste2 said:

---------------------------------------------

0.92x works on xp but does not show the menu correctly :(

raine.png.b322b2fdcbd414d714b1fa448c947006.png

As I said it was worth a try, but it's probably too old the 3d tricks inside, there is not much to do here, sorry !

15 minutes ago, Tux said:

As I said it was worth a try, but it's probably too old the 3d tricks inside, there is not much to do here, sorry !

--------------------------------------------------

simple menu requires 3d? :)
maybe only command line support would solve the problem of working with XP

42 minutes ago, ste2 said:

--------------------------------------------------

simple menu requires 3d? :)
maybe only command line support would solve the problem of working with XP

You can try if you want, it still accepts the same old command line. I suggest to install mingw32 not to become crazy with the command line in windows, but it's manageable even with cmd. You don't even have to put a rom in the roms directory, it will try to download it if it can't find it, but without any working gui, it's going to be very hard to use it !
Something like "raine32 bublbobl" should give some result... if you are lucky !
I can't test at all this xp version here, or I'll have to install an old version of virtualbox for that, with the current version all I get is a completely white window which closes after a few seconds (no 3d support at all for xp currently, it was removed from virtualbox).

Yeah the only output with sdl2 is 3d, either opengl or direct3d, and for now it's opengl for everyone. Yeah I know it can be surprising for a 2d emulator, but since these days everything is 3d and these cards have a tremendous power, it's possible to use them even for 2d, and use them well !

Also for info there is very good support in linux for the old hardware, contrary to what there is in windows. It takes a while to get used to it, but it will work much better than what you have here in the end !

Edited by Tux

23 hours ago, mer-curious said:

And finally found after a long search !

It was one of these bits from the input ports which looked like they were unused, so usually I don't even bother to tell they are unused since we have all the controls mapped in the test mode.
Well there was no input directly linked to this one, but if it became active, it prevented this special move from the right side!!! I don't know exactly which bit did that by the way, because I cleaned up quite a few of them, but it can be found for someone interested... maybe there was a reason for that, something which was connected to test special moves ?

The big surprise is that it happened for you in windows and for me in linux, everyone could do it. It was just an uninitialized input, and its bit turned active which should have had no effect normally, but it had this very weird effect.
It's a good lesson for me, next time something so weird happens, I'll start by double checking the input ports... !

While looking into this I had a closer look at how the rasters work in cps2, and they are probably easier to emulate than the neogeo ones finally... just an impression, but anyway I am not sure I want to dive into this now. Anyway good thing to finally have fixed this !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tux said:

The big surprise is that it happened for you in windows and for me in linux, everyone could do it. It was just an uninitialized input, and its bit turned active which should have had no effect normally, but it had this very weird effect.
It's a good lesson for me, next time something so weird happens, I'll start by double checking the input ports... !

Hey Tux! This is really great news! I'm so happy you could finally "smash" this "mystic" bug, if you forgive the pun. 😂 We were not crazy after all!

Edit: But I'm curious on why would this move sometimes work when loading a CPS1 game first. 🤔

On 11/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, Tux said:

Yeah the standard mapping asd which is used by almost any game to move in 3d these days, and 3 keys below that for the other 3 buttons. Not a bad idea, it's better than the vbn which was in the middle of the keyboard, and you can use the 3 buttons config as well as the 6 one. Ok, will give it a try... !

I happened to forget to attach a picture of FBNeo's default mappings for 4-button games such as Neo-Geo. See if you like it like this: https://imgur.com/a/tOyC7ji

Thank you so much again for your great work! 🙂👍

Edited by mer-curious

2 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! This is really great news! I'm so happy you could finally "smash" this "mystic" bug, if you forgive the pun. 😂 We were not crazy after all!

Edit: But I'm curious on why would this move sometimes work when loading a CPS1 game first. 🤔

Easy : it's an UNINITIALIZED input, the previous game just initialized it... !

2 hours ago, mer-curious said:

I happened to forget to attach a picture of FBNeo's default mappings for 4-button games such as Neo-Geo. See if you like it like this: https://imgur.com/a/tOyC7ji

Thank you so much again for your great work! 🙂👍

No no, I won't include different default inputs based on how many buttons are used. The current idea can be used for any game with up to 6 buttons, seems good enough. If someone wants something different, customize default inputs or switch to custom inputs is enough...

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1