A final raine version : 0.91.19 !

Tux

Sorry guys, I'm out of motivation to finish the sdl2 port, I have committed my changes so far to git but it's not finished. But as it is, the sdl-1.2 version can still be built without problem, and with the problems reported about the bad blits because of the opengl gui, it's a good time to release something. So the changes are :

- the new Brazilian Portuguese locale
 - curl now gets the rom from the full internet archive for raine instead of trying to guess where it can find it. As I said it's quite slow, but as a remainder, when Antiriad was working on the f3 emulation, it took him a whole night to retrieve one of these roms, so it's very fast compared to this ! ;-)
 - And reverted the opengl gui, meaning you get the fullscreen bugs back for the windows version, but it also fixes the emudx games + neo turf masters (you'll probably have to disable the speed hacks in neocd options for neo turf masters). For those who prefer the opengl gui and don't care about these fixes, just stay with 0.91.18 !

Hey, it would make a very nice final version for raine I think. Lots of locale, can even get its roms from the internet, nice way to finish it.
If ever I find some new motivation I might finish this sdl2 port one day, but nothing is less sure for now...

You'll find the link to the download area somewhere at the top of the forum page...
And I'll update the linux version PKGBUILD a little later...

edit : and since this release was made quickly, I forgot the pt locale in the binary packages, so I re-uploaded both zip files, you can re-download yours if you are interested by the portuguese locale, and re-uploaded the linux packages too... sigh, my bad !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

All respect to you for keeping this emulator going. Thank you

As of now what in your opinion does Raine emulate better than MAME & does Raine emulate anything MAME doesn't ?

You gave me hours of fun playing rainbow islands so I Thank You once again.

Well I don't think we emulate anything "better", but rather differently. Mame is bent on "accuracy", so even if the game had some problems because of a limited hardware, they emulate the problems of the emulated hardware to be as close as possible to the original. When the emulation could be improved, we did it in raine. What comes to mind is these shooters which added so many bullets on screen that the animation became choppy, well it's easy to boost the emulated cpu speed to work around this, but now some people say the slow animation makes the game easier... Well for dodonpachi at least, more recent versions using more modern hardware got rid of these animation problems anyway !

Also features like the custom audio tracks show well the spirit of raine, even if it started as just a crazy idea. It allows to replace the emulated songs by some external tracks you choose, something which would be unthinkable with mame ! ;-)

For rainbow islands, it's a paradox because it's the game which gave its name to raine but the emulation of the c-chip is not 100% complete. I never played very much with this one so I don't know where the problems are, but when someone from mame team came with the complete description of the c-chip, Antiriad was not interested anymore, and the driver stayed as it is... So there are probably differences with the version in mame now.
There is also the unemulated rasters for some cps2 games (it's complex, very few games use them, and I don't play them, so... !).

Anyway yeah it has been fun working and playing with raine for all these years, I was a little disappointed not to get more help to work on it, but it was fun anyway !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info i got loads to look at to see the differences. I think it would be nice that some of the slowdowns mame emulates that you could do something like an add on to ARCADE so that people have an option to run the game without them. Also there is some games out there that has slight bugs for example  commando by capcom the world version says you get an extra life at 10.000 & 500000 it should be 10.000 & 50.000 same for space invasion the german version of it, the us version fixes this. I think it would be a great addition to ARCADE if you did things like that & i'm pretty sure others would like it too & then ARCADE stands out more. Thanks for all the work you have done in RAINE

Custom audio tracks is a big draw card for anyone who wants arranged music for games, and in my case also want the option to make the music louder, as sound effects can be far too loud in many games.

Raine gives a polish to games, that MAME can't give.

I hope Tux is still releasing updates years from now.

And a big thanks to Tux for what he has achieved so far!

Hey Tux! Thanks for this release (and for the previous one too)! Do you have any idea of your progress porting Raine to SDL2? Maybe 20, 30%? Perhaps you could set smaller goals for your work in this transition? And then someday another coder could eventually help you finish this job?

Anyway, I'd be very glad if you could still support Raine in current SDL1.2 architecture, even if this limited you in fixing some things in the emulator.

By the way, I've recently noticed that when playing Raine with a game pad in Windows, the screen will fade after a while and then turn off. I suppose the next thing is make the computer sleep, but I always press a key in the keyboard or move the mouse and interrupt this process (it probably resets the timer set in the power plan for this function). I've searched a little about it and it seems this happens when the program doesn't send to the system a "no sleep" command when it's running, or maybe it doesn't detect the inputs from the game pad. Is it possible to add such a function to Raine? Or would this require a change to the SDL2 library?

Edited by mer-curious

5 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! Thanks for this release (and for the previous one too)! Do you have any idea of your progress porting Raine to SDL2? Maybe 20, 30%? Perhaps you could set smaller goals for your work in this transition? And then someday another coder could eventually help you finish this job?

Sadly no it's everything or nothing, sdl2 replaces sdl1, they can't work side by side, what can be done of course is a basic version 1st, but even that requires a lot of effort, raine is not the kind to just use some high level functions easy to replace, it's rather the kind to push to the limits and sometimes go over them !
I am committed what's done so far to git of course, it's impossible to estimate, the thing does not compile so it's far from over !

5 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Anyway, I'd be very glad if you could still support Raine in current SDL1.2 architecture, even if this limited you in fixing some things in the emulator.

By the way, I've recently noticed that when playing Raine with a game pad in Windows, the screen will fade after a while and then turn off. I suppose the next thing is make the computer sleep, but I always press a key in the keyboard or move the mouse and interrupt this process (it probably resets the timer set in the power plan for this function). I've searched a little about it and it seems this happens when the program doesn't send to the system a "no sleep" command when it's running, or maybe it doesn't detect the inputs from the game pad. Is it possible to add such a function to Raine? Or would this require a change to the SDL2 library?

Yeah it's the kind of thing which should be handled by sdl2, never noticed that because I rarely play with a pad to arcade games, but yeah it's just a system function to call to disable the screensaver. What you can do on your side is at least increase the delay before the screensaver starts, anyway it's said that screensaver are not really useful anymore with current flat screens (except for saving power).

and Raine is the only emulator that supports the EmuDX format and you can play classic games with renewed graphics and sounds. Very fascinating!

Tux you have done an amazing job all these years. I understand the lack of help, but the truth is, what you have done is particularly complicated, not many people would have the skill to work with you and address the issues left behind. This is a mammoth project and has been going on for 20+ years. Big big big respect and congratulations (and thank you!)

On 8/11/2021 at 6:22 AM, _MADrigal said:

and Raine is the only emulator that supports the EmuDX format and you can play classic games with renewed graphics and sounds. Very fascinating!

Which was originally a separate emulator by MikeDx (Mike Green in real life), I just thought it was too bad to let it disappear at the time and I proposed him to merge it in raine, and he accepted... Everything is not perfect, but at least it runs on modern hardware in any resolution using opengl !

On 8/11/2021 at 6:22 AM, _MADrigal said:

Tux you have done an amazing job all these years. I understand the lack of help, but the truth is, what you have done is particularly complicated, not many people would have the skill to work with you and address the issues left behind. This is a mammoth project and has been going on for 20+ years. Big big big respect and congratulations (and thank you!)

Mammoth project if you look at the big picture, but raine is still quite simple in the way it works, even if it got bigger along the years.
But yeah there are some complex parts allright, but it adds to the fun !
Anyway glad you liked it ! :)

• Like 1