Raine 0.91.12

Tux

Already ? Well yeah, it's mainly to finish this branch for good !

So :
 - Cabal (cabalbl) is finally fixed, graphics and sound. The kind of game which seems easy to emulate and which is tricky. This one is quite different in raine, we don't have at all the same way to handle the samples (but thanks for finding the crazy bitswap for the sound command !).
 - neogeo/neocd saves didn't contain the 68000 bank, it's fixed (problem hard to locate though !).
 - a last fix for the sound associations, the one included in the test build earlier.

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 1

Hey Tux! I've played a full turn in AoF3 with version 0.91.12 and made a lot of save and load states there and the graphics didn't corrupt in any moment, so I guess it's really fixed! 🙌

Now I think my tests with the test version were a little too fast, because I missed an irregular behavior in KOF99 sound associations. When you let the game demo run, the soundtrack should stop playing as soon as the score ranking screen is shown. But with the new changes in the sound associations the stage track continues playing there, which didn't happen before. I've tested KOF98 and interestingly everything is perfect there.

This doesn't really breaks the game experience so far, but if you ever find time to check this one, I'll be glad to retest it again.

If you need a save point, here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zIwJJU0aPBbBrAj0jCS2vV8XdviSrZG-/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much again for your continuing support, especially with this sound association feature. 👍

On 1/29/2021 at 2:01 AM, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! I've played a full turn in AoF3 with version 0.91.12 and made a lot of save and load states there and the graphics didn't corrupt in any moment, so I guess it's really fixed! 🙌

Now I think my tests with the test version were a little too fast, because I missed an irregular behavior in KOF99 sound associations. When you let the game demo run, the soundtrack should stop playing as soon as the score ranking screen is shown. But with the new changes in the sound associations the stage track continues playing there, which didn't happen before. I've tested KOF98 and interestingly everything is perfect there.

This doesn't really breaks the game experience so far, but if you ever find time to check this one, I'll be glad to retest it again.

If you need a save point, here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zIwJJU0aPBbBrAj0jCS2vV8XdviSrZG-/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much again for your continuing support, especially with this sound association feature. 👍

There is an exception to the new offsets array for song 20, it's an empty song used to mute the currently playing song, I was sure to miss this one ! It's fixed.

• Like 1

😊 Hey Tux! I've been playing with the NGCD version of AOF3 and noticed a gargabe screen every time after the loading animation to a stage. It happens as soon as the loading animation is finished, and then the emu quickly shows a corrupted screen and finally the stage appears. In the Cemetery stage it is more noticeable because a blue screen flashes before the stage shows. It's not something that hinders the game play, but perhaps it could be the cause of an unknown bug somewhere else?

Interestingly, when I was trying to reproduce this issue with my save states, I found a way to easily crash the emulator. If you try to load the save states in slots 0, 1 and 2 the emu immediately crashes. But in save states 3, 4 and 5 you can check the garbage screens (hopefully!).

Here's the pack with the saves: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B3V-VfL2axtyY4-HbfCqJGqAO-VYIkuB/view?usp=sharing

I'm using the loading animations set to 2x and the region is Japan.

Thank you so much in advance for your constant support. 🙂👍

I don't have aof3 for neocd anymore, lost a few of my games some years ago. Yeah I know I can redownload it, but it will take time, don't hold your breath !

I redownloaded it, can't reproduce, I just used "game demo" and watched a few stages, no problem to see.
Then I tried your savegame, a nice buffer overflow in the 1st one, but it's too late, the harm has already been done.
Would you have a incredibly long file name (including the dir) for one of your audio tracks ? It's the most likely cause, just noticed that FILENAME_MAX is a lot smaller in windows, but it's still 260, succeeding to have a path longer than that is quite a feat already...
Anyway if you don't have a path that long I need an easy way to reproduce this... !

for the save 4, I have a dark blue screen after the loading animation is over but it seems normal, no flash, it looks like some long initialization, and after that the stage "movie" starts normally. Save 5 same thing, save 3 nothing out of the ordinary, no screen with garbage on it anywhere, you have a buffer overflow specific to your setup somewhere then...

I have made a test build anyway but it's pure speculation, for me everything works already, you might be lucky with this one, but don't try to load one of the 3 1st save states with it : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/test0302.7z

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

🤔 Interesting. The 3 first save states crash the emu immediately here.

No, I don't think I have long file names. The path is this: D:\unzipped\games\NEO-GEO CD\Art of Fighting 3 [Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden]\Art of Fighting 3 [Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden].cue

The tracks are named as: Art of Fighting 3 [Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden] - Track 27.mp3

My NGCD bios is in this folder: D:\unzipped\games\Arcade\neocdz.zip

Maybe it's specific to Windows?

What I remember from the 3 first save states is that I loaded the game, changed the region from Europe to Japan and then started playing. That was pretty much it as far as I remember...

As for the garbage screen, I can reproduce it every time here. I used Pause + Space to advance the frames and took a screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/bT1pOWr

I tried the test build you provided above but didn't see any changes about these issues unfortunately. But thank you so much anyway for checking this one! 👍

Hum, might be something specific to windows there then... I'll do more tests later...

edit : Tested in win10, 64 bits optimized build, same path as you for loading the neocd game, a version from gametronik I downloaded a few days ago with audio tracks in wav format, everything works perfectly.

Except it crashed print_debug in a debug build because the strings become too big when including your path, but there is no such thing in an optimized build, I fixed it anyway. So no idea there, can't reproduce the problem... !

For info for your 3 1st saves the overflow seems to already have happened, the info for the ym2610 inside is totally wrong, so the game will crash as soon as it will try to use this chip (sound chip), but it doesn't tell me how this data became so corrupted. Can't reproduce it so far.
If you want to spend some time on it, you can : redownload a fresh version from gametronik, try with some short directory for the emu and/or for the game, try from default settings in case it's something in your settings. Good luck, and tell me if you find something !

Edited by Tux

Hey Tux! I downloaded a new version of AOF3 from Gametronik and put it in a shorter directory, just D:\unzipped\. I also put Raine directly in this same folder. I can still crash the emulator with those three save states. But I've played another turn and did some new save states and couldn't crash the emulator so far with these new ones.

How may I know when a buffer overflow happens so I can create a save before triggering it?

On 2/6/2021 at 6:41 AM, Tux said:

If you want to spend some time on it, you can : redownload a fresh version from gametronik, try with some short directory for the emu and/or for the game, try from default settings in case it's something in your settings. Good luck, and tell me if you find something !

You mean play the game normally and see a way to trigger the buffer overflow before creating save states?

Thank you so much for your time checking this issue. 👍