comctl32.dll load error

prime

It just occurred to me that you might be a victim of a changed compile script. These don't get uploaded until release time, so you wouldn't have seen it.

Here's the new lines that you wouldn't know about for messui.

del build\generated\resource\messvers.rc

copy /Y src\mame\mess.flt src\mame\mess.bak

copy /Y src\mame\messui.txt src\mame\mess.flt

touch src\mame\mess.flt

copy /Y src\osd\winui\ui.rc src\osd\winui\mameui.rc

( do the actual compilation)

copy /Y src\mame\mess.bak src\mame\mess.flt

The reason for the lines about messvers.rc and mameui.rc is to force that stuff to be recompiled, since changes to mameui.rc are not normally detected. Also, mess does not need most of the code and icons that exist in messui, so reducing code bloat.

The reason for the lines about messui.txt , mess.bak and mess.flt, is because messui only includes systems that work, not everything in mess.

When compiling mess for command-line, here's the new lines

del build\generated\resource\messvers.rc

touch src\mame\mess.flt

copy /Y src\osd\winui\uicl.rc src\osd\winui\mameui.rc

(do the actual compilation)

The "touch" command is a unix-based command to update the "last-updated" time on a file to the current time. This causes the compiler to think the file has been updated and needs to be recompiled. Touch comes with the msys2 package, so you probably have it somewhere.

If you compare ui.rc against uicl.rc, you'll see that ui.rc has the full list of menus and icons used in messui, where uicl.rc only has the menus for the NewUI.

These compile changes need to be rolled out to HBMAME as well, but it hasn't been done yet.

Hope this helps.

Can confirm that the mameui I checked out last night and compiled with :

PTR64=1 OSD=messui

works when I reun mameui64.exe, including correctly reporting the comctl32.dll version.

I'll try your above fixes tonight when I am at home.

Cheers.

Phill.

Sorry it's been a couple of days...been busy....

But the above file manipulation seems to have allowed me to build a working executable, cheers.

However one thing I do notice, there seems not to be a debugger tab in the machine properties (though that was a checkout of the repository donr on Nov 27th).

Cheers.

Phill.

Glad to see you have a working system.

As part of the recent upgrades, messui was reclassified as a production system, which means it's not intended for development work, but instead to be used for its intended task - running games. As such, all debugger facilities have been removed. If you want to do debugging, you use mess or mame.

Well.... turned out mess had acquired a weird bug inside the debugger. This turned out to be a commctrl problem, and I noticed that inclusion of the manifest was missing in uicl.rc

Adding it back in fixed the debugger. So having a manifest is important even for non-gui windows programs.