Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tux

Raine 0.91.3, quite a big update again...

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! Thanks for your checking this issue. So, should we download this new hiscore.dat file from GitHub? Also, wouldn't it be better to have a per game save ram file? Because I guess the ram also stores the bios options which we may want to be different for different games. Some games (such as KOF98, 99 and 2000) also save some of the game's internal settings to this file (for example, the level and language selection to play with and some other available in-game options), which I'm afraid the hiscore.dat file doesn't save, does it?

Hola, big mess here. The hiscore support is mainly for games which don't save anthing anywhere, it's done at the emu level and is not in the hardware at all, and it saves only hiscores of course. Now the neogeo hardware has a memory card (where it saves the progression, but I don't think scores are saved here), and a permanent ram area, called "save ram", shared by all neogeo games (64 Ko), the bios allocates automatically slots for games here, when it's full the oldest one gets overwritten. I don't know exactly where the scores are saved actually...
Some arcade games like cps1/cps2 also have an eeprom but there is no eeprom for neogeo/neocd (useless since there is already a saved ram).

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Anyway, I'm just worried that it may happen again with a bios reset especially if someone is new to Raine.

It happens...

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

By the way, you forgot to comment on my postscript observation about the bios selection window. πŸ˜…

The bioses are selected by number, so if I change the order here I change the number for a lot of bioses and some people might end up in an unwanted bios if they saved their config. It's probably safer to keep this order, even if it doesn't seem very logical.

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Moving on to another bug report, I am experiencing some weird behavior in Art of Fighting 3 when using the sound associations. The associated sound files randomly changes during the game. I'm providing three savestates to the game which may trigger the bug:

aof3.sv0 - in this savestate you just wait the round count down time reach 35~34 and at this point you should see the track change.

aof3.sv1 - in this save just wait the "how to play" demo run until you eventually hear a track start playing (when it shouldn't, because this demo doesn't have a track - it is silenced).

aof3.sv2 - in this save just press the D button and it should trigger the track to change. You can press the D button as many times as you want to trigger the track change, as weird as this may sound, lol! πŸ˜‚

Here the saves are: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TDv6oGWIgVEBuUqeX5SFij9-HET-OB06

I'm also providing the tracks together with the config file with the associations (all the tracks are from the NGCD version, but since I've renamed them to something shorter, it may be easier for you to use my version - just change the folder address in the games.cfg file).

Here they are: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I5lp5SueypJSk2S8724o_mIjwysLh4vk

I can reproduce this bug very easily in the three save files, so I hope you may too (at least in one of them).

Except that, I've experienced one garbage screen when doing a save/load state in this game, but since I couldn't reproduce it again, I'm not providing a savestate yet. Perhaps it has to do with the associations bug? Anyway, here it is a screenshot:

2790211343961132.jpg


Sorry for the long post again. Thank you for your time and support. 😊

Yeah well I'll keep that in a corner somewhere but won't look into that for now, consumes too much time. Later...

6 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Β 

PS: would it be possible to add the version info to the window frame, for example, Raine 0.91.4 - game-title. I've just realized Raine doesn't do that whereas most other emulators do. Sometimes it helps to identify which version I'm using when doing a lot of tests with different builds.

What do you call "window frame", it's already in the title bar isn't it ?

Β 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tux said:

Hola, big mess here. The hiscore support is mainly for games which don't save anthing anywhere, it's done at the emu level and is not in the hardware at all, and it saves only hiscores of course. Now the neogeo hardware has a memory card (where it saves the progression, but I don't think scores are saved here), and a permanent ram area, called "save ram", shared by all neogeo games (64 Ko), the bios allocates automatically slots for games here, when it's full the oldest one gets overwritten. I don't know exactly where the scores are saved actually...
Some arcade games like cps1/cps2 also have an eeprom but there is no eeprom for neogeo/neocd (useless since there is already a saved ram).

Hey Tux! Thanks for your reply. I don't use the hiscore.dat file, but I suppose all the saves are in this neogeo.saveram file because if I remove this file or if it is unexpectedly reset (which is what happened recently) all my scores and in-game changes are gone. I'm attaching a copy of this file with my KOF99.hi file in case you're curious to see where the scores are saved in there. Just let the demo run and you'll notice that the life bars are invisible because I disabled them in the in-game options and saved it like this. And if you let the demo run a little further you'll also see my scores (ELV). If you change this saveram file everything is lost.

Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WAKdfr9-UVlvkoXSPkQK3T9NNJzcTTfn

19 hours ago, Tux said:

What do you call "window frame", it's already in the title bar isn't it ?

Yes, the title bar. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just look at the title bar in my screenshot above about the garbage screen in AOF3 and you'll notice it only states "Raine" and then the game title. My suggestion is to include the version info too, as we have with most other emulators.

Thank you again for your attention. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok, thanks for the info about the saveram. The file is not directly readable if I remember correctly, something about words accessed strangely, but it's good to know.
Notice that if you are right, then this info can be lost very easily, it's enough to play a few neogeo games until your kof99 becomes the oldest and it's then overwritten. If you have a .hi file then you have a hiscore.dat, and an old one, the latest one (2.11) doesn't have any info about kof99, and normally it should be enough to make it survive a region switch.
edit : after checking in the code, 8 games only fit on the memory card, so just play 8 other games after your kof99, and bye to your scores, unless the .hi file saves you !

For the corruption of your screen, how did you do it exactly, I guess saving and loading anywhere is not enough ?

Oh you want the version number in the title bar ? I don't really see the point, unless you run a few instances of raine at the same time which is not something most people would do, but anyway it's easy to add ok, and it will not eat too much space...
edit : it's done (and committed to git).

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just restored the scripts to handle the 2 binaries + the dlls for versions >= 0.90, it's mainly for the old versions page, but the latest page (main download page) is handled by them now again.

Next time : the linux binary, oh yeah... (well maybe then, but no hurry !).

Β 

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 5:48 AM, Tux said:

Ok, thanks for the info about the saveram. The file is not directly readable if I remember correctly, something about words accessed strangely, but it's good to know.
Notice that if you are right, then this info can be lost very easily, it's enough to play a few neogeo games until your kof99 becomes the oldest and it's then overwritten. If you have a .hi file then you have a hiscore.dat, and an old one, the latest one (2.11) doesn't have any info about kof99, and normally it should be enough to make it survive a region switch.
edit : after checking in the code, 8 games only fit on the memory card, so just play 8 other games after your kof99, and bye to your scores, unless the .hi file saves you !

Hello Tux! Thanks for checking the file. So it seems having a saveram file for every NG game would likely solve this issue about the limitation of the ram file getting full, wouldn't it? Or perhaps you have a better solution for that?

By the way, I've just seen a video about the story of the NeoGeo in which they say the memory card can store data of up 20 games. But I suppose your inspection is more accurate, right?

Here's the video (you can go to minute 9:05 to save time):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCivnt5t50

Β 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:48 AM, Tux said:

For the corruption of your screen, how did you do it exactly, I guess saving and loading anywhere is not enough ?

No, I was doing a lot of save and load states during the rounds, so I believe you'd have to play for a while in order to possibly trigger this corruption. Would it be of any help to you if I provided a savestate during this corruption? I'm afraid you won't reproduce it like that though...

I don't know, but maybe this corruption could be related to the bug with the sound associations which I reported above?

Β 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:48 AM, Tux said:

Oh you want the version number in the title bar ? I don't really see the point, unless you run a few instances of raine at the same time which is not something most people would do, but anyway it's easy to add ok, and it will not eat too much space...
edit : it's done (and committed to git).

Thanks a lot for that, and thanks again for your time and attention! 😊

Edited by mer-curious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hello Tux! Thanks for checking the file. So it seems having a saveram file for every NG game would likely solve this issue about the limitation of the ram file getting full, wouldn't it? Or perhaps you have a better solution for that?

By the way, I've just seen a video about the story of the NeoGeo in which they say the memory card can store data of up 20 games. But I suppose your inspection is more accurate, right?

Here's the video (you can go to minute 9:05 to save time):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCivnt5t50

Nice video, but it's the memory card they talk about, there is already 1 memory card / game in raine, but the save ram is in common and 64 K max.

in savedata :
*.bin : memory cards
neogeo.saveram : the famous saveram, that's the one you said contained scores, right ?

I know for sure the saveram contains the soft dips settings, and what is called "book keeping", the stats about how long the games are played and how many times, see
b+c+d while booting with unibios, then book keeping. You can change the soft dips from there too, or from the dialog included in raine.

2 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Β 

No, I was doing a lot of save and load states during the rounds, so I believe you'd have to play for a while in order to possibly trigger this corruption. Would it be of any help to you if I provided a savestate during this corruption? I'm afraid you won't reproduce it like that though...

I don't know, but maybe this corruption could be related to the bug with the sound associations which I reported above?

Β 

Thanks a lot for that, and thanks again for your time and attention! 😊

No I don't see how, graphics and sounds are separated, it would have to be a tremendous bug for that. No there is probably something which is not saved correctly somewhere.
For your sound associations you probably found a game which has yet some other sound commands, there are already quite a few found, and it's quite tedious to analyze the commands to find how it's working, so I delay this for now, but it won't create any other problem by itself, it's just about how the sound commands are interpreted, it can't create any graphic glitch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Tux! I've updated my romsets according to the latest FB Neo (I believe it's the same as MAME's) and all my merged roms have now become split for Retroarch's FB Neo's core compatibility. So now in Raine I have a lot of clones showing in the rom's list. As I generally only play the parent roms, I went to the options and selected "without clones" and then they are hidden. But curiously my Neo Geo roms also vanish when I disable the clones. Is this a bug or is it because of my romsets update?

For example, before I had just kof99.zip in my roms folder. Now I have kof99.zip and kof99h.zip, which I believe is a clone rom. When I disable the clones, both sets disappear from the list, not just the "kof99h" version.

By the way, is this a GUI glitch?
f9c87c1346635665.jpg
The menu doesn't have space to show all the characters of this game.

It also happens when we expand the window.
ec7d3f1346635671.jpg

I don't know if there are many arcade games with long names, but perhaps the menu could create a third line in that area when necessary, and use all the space when the window expands. Anyway, just a detail I happened to notice because of my new flooded rom list, lol.Β  πŸ˜‚

Thank you so much for your attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! I've updated my romsets according to the latest FB Neo (I believe it's the same as MAME's) and all my merged roms have now become split for Retroarch's FB Neo's core compatibility. So now in Raine I have a lot of clones showing in the rom's list. As I generally only play the parent roms, I went to the options and selected "without clones" and then they are hidden. But curiously my Neo Geo roms also vanish when I disable the clones. Is this a bug or is it because of my romsets update?

it's not exactly a bug although in this case it's not convenient, it's because all neogeo games share a parent : their bios ! So if you hide clone, you hide them too, maybe it would be nice to find a trick here... Ok, I just added an exception for neogeo games, it's easy to do...

5 hours ago, mer-curious said:

For example, before I had just kof99.zip in my roms folder. Now I have kof99.zip and kof99h.zip, which I believe is a clone rom. When I disable the clones, both sets disappear from the list, not just the "kof99h" version.

f9c87c1346635665.jpg
The menu doesn't have space to show all the characters of this game.

You insist on playing with the gui set to a low resolution, well there is a minimum allowed font size for readability, then if you hit both limits (the resolution + the font size), then your text is clipped, it's normal. And no I don't plan on having game names on multiple lines !

And same thing for the status line at the bottom of the screen : the text won't do a buffer overflow but you can still make text to overlap in such an extreme situation, I won't do anything about that.

5 hours ago, mer-curious said:

It also happens when we expand the window.
ec7d3f1346635671.jpg

I don't know if there are many arcade games with long names, but perhaps the menu could create a third line in that area when necessary, and use all the space when the window expands. Anyway, just a detail I happened to notice because of my new flooded rom list, lol.Β  πŸ˜‚

Thank you so much for your attention.

Not sure to understand your 3rd line, on the status bar ? No way !

But I can expand the string for the long game name, I hadn't noticed it was too short for some games. In my opinion the proper fix here would be to shorten this way too long name, but since it's a mame name here, I'll just expand the string a little... !

Is it to your liking ? ;-)

raine.png

Β 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tux said:

Not sure to understand your 3rd line, on the status bar ? No way !

But I can expand the string for the long game name, I hadn't noticed it was too short for some games. In my opinion the proper fix here would be to shorten this way too long name, but since it's a mame name here, I'll just expand the string a little... !

Is it to your liking ? ;-)

raine.png

Β 

Hey Tux! Sorry for the long delay in the reply.

Yes, I meant if Raine could automatically produce a second string to show the complete name of the game when you're running Raine in such a small window such as the default 640x480 resolution. But should this should be complicated to implement, I'm happy with the solution you just came up with (besides, it would be just for this specific long-name game so far).

Other than that, hiding the clones in game selection menu is working fine now with NeoGeo games. But every time I want to hide the clones I have to visit the Options and then change that option. Maybe it could be more user friendly if it was remembered, no?

Oh, and did you check the sound associations bug in Art of Fighting 3 ?

Anyway, thank you so much for your continuing support with your emulator. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...