Raine 0.90 went to oblivion... !

Tux

0.90.7 released, the only changes inside are the custom inputs which are all saved now instead of just what changed from the default inputs, and the small gui fix for dialogs which could have the text of their dialog bar cut if the resolution was too low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just noticed I forgot the cheats.cfg file in all the 0.90 versions, so you can either get it from a previous version, it hasn't changed since 2017, or get it from here and drop the file in the raine config directory...

Edited by Tux
  • Thanks 1

Finally re-uploaded both binary archives with a filled config directory. Missing files were :

neocheats.cfg : cheats for neocd/neogeo
cheats.cfg : cheats for other games
debug_dips.txt : info to access debug dips for neogeo / neocd

sorry again, new builds, new mistakes... !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tux! I've been playing with Raine recently and I've got some comments about it:

- The "about" info is showing in the "options" menu. Is this right?

- Could you add support for changing/selecting the save state slot through the GUI in "game options" menu? This would be handy for people who are used to looking for this option in the other emulators. Besides, we already have GUI options for saving and loading the game, so why not for selecting the save slot too?

- I've experienced a weird bug in the Sailor Moon game. Eventually when I was playing and used a special move in the game the sprites became flashing forever in the screen. I could only eliminate the problem by quitting and restarting the emu. I had some cheats turned on when this happened, and when you have them on, you see a "bad RAM" check report when the game starts. So perhaps this was the cause of this bug? I'm attaching a save state file so you could check it out:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-V_SwY8AWXA8ptH_9SwGymjBCzLZica7

I guess that's it for now. Thank you in advance for your time and support.

Edited by mer-curious

15 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! I've been playing with Raine recently and I've got some comments about it:

- The "about" info is showing in the "options" menu. Is this right?

Didn't know that, and it's windows specific of course, no idea why it happens for now...

Edit : it's fixed, it's just that this options menu is dynamic and had grown too much, in linux there happened to be an empty region after it so you didn't see anything, not in windows and so you saw the next menu : about. It's fixed and there is a safeguard in place to be sure it will never happen again !

- Could you add support for changing/selecting the save state slot through the GUI in "game options" menu? This would be handy for people who are used to looking for this option in the other emulators. Besides, we already have GUI options for saving and loading the game, so why not for selecting the save slot too?

Because for gui lovers game options / load and save game is enough, here you do that in 1 click. I don't see the point in selecting a save state with the gui if it's to use it with the keyboard afterward.

- I've experienced a weird bug in the Sailor Moon game. Eventually when I was playing and used a special move in the game the sprites became flashing forever in the screen. I could only eliminate the problem by quitting and restarting the emu. I had some cheats turned on when this happened, and when you have them on, you see a "bad RAM" check report when the game starts. So perhaps this was the cause of this bug? I'm attaching a save state file so you could check it out:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-V_SwY8AWXA8ptH_9SwGymjBCzLZica7

By the way the save is for the 64 bit version, if you try to load that in the 32 bit version the game resets.

EDIT : just added an alert when trying to load a savegame in the wrong architecture. Notice that sometimes it works anyway so I won't forbid it, such as when you saved in a given stage, and load from a different stage, usually both stages use the same main loop in the program and only the ram changes, in this case usually you can load the game without any trouble. But in any other case, the emulated game will probably crash and sometimes reset, so it's probably a good thing to have some kind of message, even if the message here is not super clear, it just shows the IDs in the savegame which couldn't be loaded, usually related to cpu names...

I don't know, maybe you hit some incompatibility with either the C cpu cores or some cheat combination. The error message you see is because the cheat is enabled when you boot the game, which is probably not a good idea, try to enable it only at the time it's needed and the message will disappear.

What I can say is that I quite extensively tested this one when I was implied in the cave driver development, and I never saw something like that, so it's either the cheats or the 64 bits version, try to do some more testing to pinpoint what happened here...

By the way you didn't tell which cheats yo used, they are not saved in a savegame...

I guess that's it for now. Thank you in advance for your time and support.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

It's not because of you, but I just converted the mame cheats for raine, which makes a huge update to the cheats !

The reason is more because I forgot the cheats.cfg file in the 0.90 version and I realized it's totally outdated and should be replaced by scripts.
So I started to convert it to scripts, but then I realized a few cheats had disappeared for some games and quite a lot of games were without cheats, so I started to look at the xml base in mame, and good surprise, it's some nice xml readable by humans for once ! And in fact the scripts allow to execute all this quite easily if it's converted first to the right format, what I did then...

It's an old story, originally the cheats were maintained by Stephh from the ultimate patchers, but he slowly gave up everything about that, and I was too busy elsewhere to realize the cheats needed some big update... Anyway it's done now, it will make a nicer last version !

Still a few clean ups to make, and I'll try not to forget anything this time so it will take a few more days !

Thanks to the covid then, it gave me plenty of time to do this ! :)

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hey Tux! Thanks for your hard work in updating the cheats! 🙂

By the way, the cheats I was using for the Sailor Moon game were:
1p maximum magic power
2p maximum magic power

The RAM which reports the error at game start is the first work RAM (it shows "bad"). I haven't played the game again, but when I do it I'll make save states every now and then to see if I can trigger the bug again and then I'll let you know.

Talking about save states, I suppose I have stumbled upon a bug related to it. Sometimes the associated sound files will get scrambled when loading a save state, that is, instead of keeping track of the track which was being played when the game was saved, Raine will randomly play another one from the game when that save is loaded.

I have been constantly experiencing this when playing some KOF games, for example KOF99, with associated sounds. I am trying to beat the CPU with perfect scores for all the rounds, and for this I have to be constantly saving my progress during the round. If I am hit by the CPU, I load the state back to try again until I finish the round without being damaged. So sometimes when I load the game this will trigger this "desync" issue with the associated track.

I am uploading three save state files for KOF99 in which this will happen. I don't know if they'll be useful for you because the bug may be already triggered there, but hopefully you can check something:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QU7bs3r2lr0f7iRf10LxUNmUjg7NTY5B

The associated sound files I use for KOF99 are all from the KOF99 NGCD version, so if you already have this version everything you need is to replace the folder addresses from that games.cfg I shared with you with the addresses you have those tracks in in your computer.

I'm uploading my tracks in case you have a different naming for your KOF99 NGCD version:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13QazV8LSaHR2etIyhqMGKepAC54PYKOM

These are the tracks which are supposed to be playing in each of the save states below (may be you should play them in your media player once to recognize them during the game, they are not long - around ~2min):

kof99.sv0 - track 21
kof99.sv1 - track 23
kof99.sv2 - track 33

If you don't hear these tracks playing in their respective save file, then the bug was triggered. This is the result of my testing:

kof99.sv0 - two random tracks play at the same time (track 03 and track 33)
kof99.sv1 - no track is played
kof99.sv2 - track 06 plays

I hope you can find something in all this save mess, lol.

Thank you so much in advance for your time.  🥰

it sounds like a problem with the music associations when saved, strange that you didn't notice that earlier, I'll try to look into that later, for now I am quite busy with the cheats, plus your saves are for the 64 bits version, and my debug build is always 32 bits because it's way faster when not optimized...

Well the 1st still points to track 22 (the file, because it's not sound command 22), except that the z80 receives a command to stop the music as soon as the save is loaded, no idea why.

The 2nd is muted for I don't know which reason, that is the virtual cd audio which serves for playing these audio tracks and which is saved in the savegame has its status which says "do nothing", which it does very well, so I her nothing here too.

And for the 3rd I didn't have the mapping and didn't try to add it, so nothing also here for me.

At least I don't have the "many tracks playing at the same time" that you seemed to experience.

I wonder if you didn't hit some kind of buffer overlow by loading/saving too much ? Normally it shouldn't happen, but there seems to be a problem somewhere, and for what I can tell it works very well in a "normal situation" : tried to save during the intro sequence, it reloads perfectly with music playing exactly where it was when saved.

I think I'll try to keep this a little more, maybe do a few tests to see if I can hit a buffer overflow, but not sure.
I am ready to release the cheats at least, quite huge, but it's not an emergency at this point !

After testing some more : no idea how you broke the restoration, if you find something more about that I am interested, but meanwhile I think I'll release 0.91 with all its new cheats !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Ok, I finally had an idea, if you used too often save and load, it's possible you saved or loaded in the middle of a sound command, the z80 accepts commands on more than 1 byte often. So I added something to save the status of the sound command now.

The bad news is I can't do anything about your saves, they don't have this status saved, and I can't do anything about it.
You'll just have to test again and see how it works... It's not even guaranteed to be better, I am not sure to perfectly emulate what the z80 does with these associations, maybe there's something I missed there, but since I don't have all the sound commands you received I can't do more about it.

So here is the binary only, based on 0.91, test if you can and report !

raine-assoc.7z

• Like 1

Hey Tux! Thanks a lot for your testing and for posting a test version.

I made a full play in KOF97 and KOF99 doing my "perfect score" challenge again and now the issue didn't show in any of these games. So I suppose you might have fixed it. 😙

By the way, I had already stumbled upon this bug for a while but didn't think it was worth it to report because it didn't really jeopardize the gameplay. But now that I've been doing these challenges more frequently it became more noticeable, so who knows if it could be fixed? Then I decided to report it.

Hopefully it is fixed now.

One last thing, when I add a gamepad button for "save game" in the Raine inputs the GUI doesn't update with the current game pad mapping, but it does work during the game. I suppose this might be a GUI glitch, no? Because it does update the GUI when I insert a game pad mapping for "load game".

Thank you so much again for your time. 😉