Raine 0.90 went to oblivion... !

Tux

Ok, finished, fixed also the display of the Region menu when you 1st load a game, it was just displaying Region without anything until the game is run, it was just silly, a misplaced initialization, should have been fixed long ago...

It also contains the new limit to 320x200 for the game bitmap for those crazy enough to play with this kind of setup.

Anyway 0.90.6 released !

• Like 1

A quick question : I'm trying  to create  a Clrmame Pro DAT of this new version (0.90.6).
I tried to use Dat worhsop pro, with the good option RAINE.. doesn't work ....   :-(
I have checked www.emulab.it... didn't find anything .....

Where can I get the DAT  in order to check my roms ?
I'm  NOT   asking here for roms ..only  the  DAT  file ....

33 minutes ago, vault99 said:

A quick question : I'm trying  to create  a Clrmame Pro DAT of this new version (0.90.6).
I tried to use Dat worhsop pro, with the good option RAINE.. doesn't work ....   :-(
I have checked www.emulab.it... didn't find anything .....

Where can I get the DAT  in order to check my roms ?
I'm  NOT   asking here for roms ..only  the  DAT  file ....

Sorry can't help you, I don't use dat files. I guess you should ask at this "dat workshop pro" site then... !

Hey Tux! The Sailor Moon game is changing the region correctly now. Thanks for that.

Except this, I guess I've found a little bug with the configuration handling.

When I was playing with the Sailor Moon game I went and clicked in the Inputs menu to configure my gamepad for the game. I then clicked in the option to edit the "default game inputs". So I finished my turn in the game and closed the emu without any problem.

When I opened Raine again and went to play another game, such as KOF99, I noticed my inputs had changed to as I had it set for Sailor Moon, even though I had "custom inputs" enabled for this game saved in my games.cfg file. I went and tried several other games which also had custom game inputs enabled and they all inherited the Sailor Moon config.

Wasn't Raine supposed to preserve the custom inputs already saved in the config file even if you accidentally edit "default game inputs" when running a new unplayed game for the first time?

I had a lot of games with custom game inputs, so it's been a pain to edit them all again because of the different config I set for Sailor Moon.

Please leave a comment on this when you have time.

Thanks again.

PS: I always set up a new installation folder when updating Raine. Then I move all backup files to the new version, except raine.cfg, which I set up for every new version. Maybe this could influence in the results I had.

Edited by mer-curious

It's not really a bug, it always worked like this, but since nobody is courageous enough to maintain some real documentation, it was lost.

Anyway custom inputs inherit inputs from defaults of course and what is saved in custom inputs is only what you changed !

That's why by editing some default inputs you can affect games using the custom ones.

I must say it's a little strange to save only what was changed, but it always worked like this since... err no not since the begining, actually it worked like this since the switch to sdl apparently, so since 0.50, it was an error on my part when rewriting the inputs code...

So for example if you set custom button 1 to v in sailormn, then set default button 1 in another game to something else, sailormn will keep its v since it was saved in custom, but if you edit any other default input, it will inherit it.

And you don't need to setup a new installation folder all the time, I always make sure there is no config file in the archive so it doesn't overwrite them, I can make a mistake of course, but it's extremely rare since I don't run the windows binaries in these folders usually.

Ok, I'll remove the test, it's easy to save all the inputs when using custom inputs. But I won't make a new binary just for that, you'll have to wait until something more serious is found !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tux said:

So for example if you set custom button 1 to v in sailormn, then set default button 1 in another game to something else, sailormn will keep its v since it was saved in custom, but if you edit any other default input, it will inherit it.

This is also how I expected it to behave, but curiously it did change buttons which were already assigned as custom inputs.

Fortunately I had a copy of my good games.cfg file, so I can always try to reproduce the problem. And I did. So I'm providing the file if you'd like to investigate a little more what may have happened:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LpbYDWrc16tmuQMuY2LSLL3H8cekTkNO

The only thing I did was to setup a new installation of Raine, run Sailor Moon and edit the default game inputs. Then you should see that it will also change all the custom inputs which were already saved in the games.cfg file.

To illustrate, here's how my good games.cfg file is (pay attention to buttons A and B)
2302dd1339150882.jpg

Here's how I set up the Sailor Moon game using "edit default game inputs" (pay attention to buttons 1 and 2)
fb3dc81339150863.jpg

And here's how my custom game inputs become after I set up the Sailor Moon game as above (again, pay attention to buttons A and B)
29b5f21339150872.jpg

As you can see, it inherited the changes done for the previous game by using "edit default game inputs". I suppose it could be related to the differences between the two systems (Cave and NeoGeo), which use different button mappings (one is "button 1", the other is "button A", and so on), no?

Anyway, I hope your fix can prevent this from happening.

Thanks again for your patience. I really appreciate when you explain to us laymen what's behind the bugs and fixes.

PS: durig this testing I found this little glitch in the GUI, the text will not show fully in the box title:
4a75e91339150874.jpg

Edited by mer-curious

No, can't reproduce that, when I wrote the passage you are quoting, I did it on the emu at the same time to check, I guarantee that it worked as I said.

Anyway it now saves all the inputs when using custom inputs for me which might create some differences, and I won't revert the changes to retest that.

After looking at that some more, I confirm, no bug here, or at least no other bug than the fact that it saved only changed inputs. I looked at your example with kof97, you look at button 1 & 2 with the joystick, except these 2 are NOT saved in your games.cfg, it's readable, you can check it, you have :

kof97:keyconfig]                                                                                     
  use_custom_keys = 1                                                                                   
  Def_P1_Up_joystick = 2049
  Def_P1_Down_joystick = 2305                                                                           
  Def_P1_Left_joystick = 1537
  Def_P1_Right_joystick = 1793
  Def_P1_Button_3_joystick = 262145                                                                                                                                                                             
  Def_P1_Button_4_joystick = 327681                                                                                                                                                                             
  Player1_B1_B2_B3_joystick = 393217
  Def_P1_Start_joystick = 655361                                                                        
  Def_Coin_A_joystick = 589825                                                                                                                                                                                  

So nothing specific about button1 or button 2, so they were just overwritten when you changed the default config, normal.

It required someone making a heavy use of custom inputs to realize this, and even for you it took you quite some time. I even remember why I chose to do that this way the 1st time : because it was creating smaller config files ! I didn't realize that it would create problems !

Anyway now all the inputs are saved when you use custom inputs, so you won't see that again, you might want to reload all these games so that they update their config in games.cfg and after that you'll be fine.

But by looking at that there is a weird config saved for you : [$ascii_controller:keyconfig], this one doesn't make any sense, but I don't know how it came here, nor when. I had something similar in mine, it looked like [$6_buttons_sf2:keyconfig], weird too, normally the 1st part before the : should only contain the short name. So I don't know if it's an old bug which was fixed a long time ago and just left some traces in games.cfg, or if it's a bug which is still somewhere now...

I guess we'll need to wait and see for this one. I deleted this weird config in mine.

I also had a dipswitches config saved in the middle of a key config, this should never happen too normally. You don't have this in yours, here again it might be something very old, and I even found a part specific to the dos version in mine, so this file was used in dos too... oh well I deleted this part too, I guess I'll have to check it from time to time then...

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the further investigation, Tux! It was pure lack of attention to not change to custom inputs when configuring the Sailor Moon game for the first time. This led me to think if it wouldn't be more intuitive to a new Raine user to have "edit customs inputs" as the default option when setting up a new game or a new installation, because I suppose most people would generally want different button configurations for different games, game genres or systems, don't you think? Or maybe a warning message when you enter "edit default game inputs", like "this will change inputs for all the games!".

On 4/4/2020 at 5:58 PM, Tux said:

I looked at your example with kof97, you look at button 1 & 2 with the joystick, except these 2 are NOT saved in your games.cfg, it's readable, you can check it                                                                                                                                                                          

So nothing specific about button1 or button 2, so they were just overwritten when you changed the default config, normal.

So these buttons aren't saved in my custom inputs? Weird, I thought they were.

But you are very right. I tried to "edit default inputs" in Sailor Moon for "coin A" and "Player 1" to different buttons and the custom inputs for the other games didn't change at all this time, which means "coin A" and "P1 start" were indeed saved in my games.cfg file. I may have done some crazy configuration in Raine some time in the past.

By the way, what are these crazy registered numbers for the buttons in the config file?

On 4/4/2020 at 5:58 PM, Tux said:

But by looking at that there is a weird config saved for you : [$ascii_controller:keyconfig], this one doesn't make any sense, but I don't know how it came here, nor when. I had something similar in mine, it looked like [$6_buttons_sf2:keyconfig], weird too, normally the 1st part before the : should only contain the short name. So I don't know if it's an old bug which was fixed a long time ago and just left some traces in games.cfg, or if it's a bug which is still somewhere now...

I guess we'll need to wait and see for this one. I deleted this weird config in mine.

Ok, I will delete this line from my file. 👍

Anyway I'll wait the next release to save all my customs inputs. Thanks again for your time with my posts.

PS: did you happen to check the box title glitch which I reported in the previous post?

Edited by mer-curious

The crazy numbers : just scancodes for the keys and encoded event for the joystick or mouse.

The box title glitch in the previous post ? Oh, you found what these weird entries starting with a $ in games.cfg were, these were inputs saved for a specific configuration !

Yeah glitch fixed, very minor too.