Raine 0.90 went to oblivion... !

Tux

1 hour ago, Robert said:

So it seems from your perspective that it's all working, apart from the wrong year in the About?

As for the lost thread, see the first 2 lines of https://www.1emulation.com/forums/topic/36209-1emulation-news-roundup-oct-2019-jan-2020/

Yes! :)

There's one last thing I'd like to report though.

When I was trying to figure out why the CPS2 games weren't working I tried to move some romsets to Raine's roms folder and see if they would load from there. So I pasted the mvsc.zip romset there and it showed up in Raine. But curiously when I tried to load it Raine started downloading the same rom, and then it hanged in about 12% of the download, and so I had to force close it.

So, is there anything wrong here or is all this expected to happen?

No idea about your scaling option, normally it's done at the video driver level and is totally transparent for the applications, I didn't do anything for that anyway. But there were quite a few changes related to the scaling in windowed mode in 0.90, it might be the cause.

It seems you were hit hard by the cps2 bug of last night, it was specific to the 64 bits build though. For your impossibility to load mvsc, don't know what you did, I just loaded it in the windows version to be sure, no problem. Remember there can be an infinity of roms folders for raine though, even if the 1st one is the default roms in its directory. You might want to try the command line -rc mvsc so that it tells you what is wrong with your mvsc (do that in a terminal or you won't see anything). (or -rcf )

Ok, added 2020, it gives me an excuse to call this one 0.90.5, even if the fix inside is really for the 64 bits version and specific to cps2.
Anyway build updated, 0.90.5 released !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 2

Hey Tux! Everything is working fine with version 0.90.5. Except for that old bug with the rasters in some CPS2 games such as Marvel vs Capcom which you have already aknowledged. You can see this bug in the character select screen where there are some graphical glitches in the form of dark squares. And also in the last stage in which you fight Onslaught (the glitches are in the floor and in the character of Onslaught [its huge second form]).

c659a01338746181.jpg

20aec71338746189.jpg

da4db31338746196.jpg

If I'm not incorrect, it also happens with Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter.

Finally, I have some game requests which aren't supported yet:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time (beat 'em up)
Sunset Riders (shoot 'em up)
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (beat 'em up)

I suppose they are all based on the Motorola 68k processor, so maybe it's not so difficult to support them?

Anyway thank you again for your great work with Raine. :)

Edited by mer-curious

Yeah the missing rasters in cps2 is known, it's tricky to emulate, comparable to the rasters in neogeo which gave me some trouble for quite some time, so since it's not used very much I simply avoided it so far, maybe one day where I am bored with a ton of motivation to fix things !

For your games, sailor moon is already emulated, called "sailor moon" simply, without the "pretty soldier" in front, but it's very probably the same one.

For turtles in time, it's konami, usually not easy stuff.

And did I mention I wanted to stop here ? It's a good point to stop, and there are even some people working to port raine to some strange new hardware now, so it seems ideal ! :)

Anyway we'll see, I am mostly stuck inside for now because of the covid-19, but I find a lot of ways to keep busy ! :)

See you, and thanks for the comments !

edit : you know you can display the games by category in raine, although the category "fight" is almost never used, and beat'em up is used instead. One of the most original ones if you don't know it, battle k-road, japan only but you don't need to read for this, the fights are very short usually, I never had the patience to play this, but you might find it interesting !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hey Tux! Thanks for the fast reply!

So I tried to run the Sailor Moon game in Raine but it didn't show up in the available games list.

Here's my romset:

sailormn.zip

bpsm.u46
bpsm.u47
bpsm.u48
bpsm.u53
bpsm.u54
bpsm.u57
bpsm.u58
bpsm.u60
bpsm.u61
bpsm.u62
bpsm.u63
bpsm.u64
bpsm.u65
bpsm.u76
bpsm.u77
bpsm945a.u9
bpsm945a.u45
sailormn_europe.nv

Is it good?

According to this site, my rom seems ok. But if you go to the "Additional infos" section and click on the "Info" tab you may see that the rom has been renamed sometimes, so maybe this is the problem?

Anyway thank you again for your time.

With a sailormn.zip in your roms directories the game appears in "available games", even if it's an empty file, it would take too much time to check the contents of the zip file just to display what is available. So check your setup, something is wrong somewhere, your sailormn.zip is not where it should be.

• Like 1

Thanks for the fast reply again! I was able to run the game. I was looking for the game in the "S" character because you said it was named just "Sailor Moon", but it's actually named "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon", lol. Pure lack of attention.

By the way, is there a way to change the rom we want to load between the parent and the clones?

Also, does the region selection work as "clone loader"? I'm trying to change the region between "Europe", "Japan" and "USA" but I don't see a change in the game, and I have the proper clone roms in the same sailormn.zip file. In FBA if we load the respective clone (for example, Europe, Japan or USA) we see the difference in the warning screen:

"This game is for use exclusively in Europe"

"This game is for use exclusively in Japan"

"This game is for use exclusively in U.S.A."

In Raine it is always showing "Japan" no matter the region.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you so much again for your help. ^_^

Edited by mer-curious

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

By the way, is there a way to change the rom we want to load between the parent and the clones?

with the command line :

./raine -gl|grep Sailor
sailormo : Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon    
sailormn : Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Ver B

So the main appears as "ver b", the so-called clone is actually the 1st version and appears just as "pretty soldier sailor moon", and the file is sailormo, o like old.

Also, does the region selection work as "clone loader"? I'm trying to change the region between "Europe", "Japan" and "USA" but I don't see a change in the game, and I have the proper clone roms in the same sailormn.zip file. In FBA if we load the respective clone (for example, Europe, Japan or USA) we see the difference in the warning screen:

"This game is for use exclusively in Europe"

"This game is for use exclusively in Japan"

"This game is for use exclusively in U.S.A."

In Raine it is always showing "Japan" no matter the region.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you so much again for your help. ^_^

You have the eye for detail, the region switch was broken probably a very long time ago and nobody noticed till now, which is not a big surprise since the only thing it changes is the copyright screen and nothing else... ! From what I vaguely remember the region is in the eeprom, clearly it was lost somewhere here. I don't guarantee I'll fix it.

And of course the company which produces it doesn't communicate about any changes made, so you can't know if there are really differences between the version b and the original, usually the changes are very minor though.

And no, clones and regions are totally different, although there are a lot of clones which change only the region (for some games the region can be changed by changing just 1 byte, and it's the case with this one).

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

After all I fixed it because it was an interesting bug as a matter of fact, it was because of compiler optimization which changed the address of a variable and I didn't think it would change. So it forced me to change quite a few things so that it doesn't depend on a changing address.

I am not making a binary yet, I'll take a little more time to see a few things...

• Like 1