Coronavirus

Alpha

Hey everyone,

Seeing as the coronavirus is worldwide, I was wondering how you all are doing? It seems like the whole world got caught with their pants down when this virus erupted.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been panic buying of toilet paper for weeks. Pretty much all sport cancelled or played to empty stands. Stockmarket crashed 30%, worst ever.

Recently, the panic buying of everything people can get their hands on. The world has gone crazy.

America doesn't seem to be taking it seriously. There's been less testing there overall than South Korea does in a single day. This, I've heard, is because of America's corrupted health care system which only exists for the rich. The poor can't afford either the testing or the hospital treatment.

I have come up with certain conspiracy theories, we'll see soon enough if they are more than theories.

Rather does not want to write about. In Poland right now is silent - people in my city does not hoarding shops, we still have toilet paper, rice etc. At least yesterday it was true.

Personally I made some shopping just to not need go out every day.

Our state is going on lockdown later today at 5:00 PM.  Stores are either closed now or closing later today and the grocery stores have reduced the hours they are going to be open.

It is very quiet this morning with little to no traffic from people going to work.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:42 PM, Robert said:

Been panic buying of toilet paper for weeks. Pretty much all sport cancelled or played to empty stands. Stockmarket crashed 30%, worst ever.

Recently, the panic buying of everything people can get their hands on. The world has gone crazy.

America doesn't seem to be taking it seriously. There's been less testing there overall than South Korea does in a single day. This, I've heard, is because of America's corrupted health care system which only exists for the rich. The poor can't afford either the testing or the hospital treatment.

I have come up with certain conspiracy theories, we'll see soon enough if they are more than theories.

The panic buying is something I haven't quite understood. This is a virus -- not a fire, earthquake, or actual war. One can go to the grocery store and wear a mask if they are too paranoid.

I also agree and it doesn't seem like America is taking it seriously. They currently have the highest growth rate of people getting infected, but this also may have to do with increased testing.

What are the conspiracy theories?

11 hours ago, haynor666 said:

Rather does not want to write about. In Poland right now is silent - people in my city does not hoarding shops, we still have toilet paper, rice etc. At least yesterday it was true.

Personally I made some shopping just to not need go out every day.

Curious, do people in Poland use bidets more than toilet paper? If I had to make a guess, toilet paper is probably only prevalent in countries where it's the common method to clean the butt.

8 hours ago, SecretAgentMan said:

Our state is going on lockdown later today at 5:00 PM.  Stores are either closed now or closing later today and the grocery stores have reduced the hours they are going to be open.

It is very quiet this morning with little to no traffic from people going to work.

That's the nice thing about this virus. Work from home, less driving, more time to think, or drive yourself crazy! 🤣

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

What are the conspiracy theories?

I currently have 2 theories that contradict each other, so I'll put the other one into another post.

The basis of a good conspiracy theory is to gather up "facts", as presented by the media, and weave them together with a bit of logical thinking, to produce an outcome. It all must be entirely logical. In my case, I don't even believe these theories - but they make sense. Now, for the first theory, and this one is pretty easy to shoot down.

Ponder this question. Do you PERSONALLY know anyone with this virus? It mustn't be what you heard in the media, or some rumour from your friend's sister's boyfriend - it must be someone you personally know.

If the answer is YES, then the theory ends here and now. Otherwise, let's continue on. Does this virus pandemic even exist? Or is it some kind of social experiments by governments, to find out what would happen in a real emergency? If so, one can just imagine the amount of lawsuits when it's declared over.

Now, for the 2nd theory. This one is rather complex - and it's not over. Again, I don't really believe it - but who knows? Perhaps there's an element of truth in there somewhere.

As we all know (or are told), this virus made the transition to humans in Wuhan province, somewhere in China. A doctor raised the alarm and was told to keep quiet.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/china-silenced-doctor-who-first-raised-alarm-about-coronovirus-nyt-reports

I contend that China intended this virus to be spread around the world, and the doctor was supposed to say nothing. A few weeks later he was conveniently found dead.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6705990/coronavirus-chinese-doctor-death-report/

Finally, after hiding the facts for 7 weeks, allowing the virus to spread in the community and tourists, China finally took action.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/quarantine-camps-door-to-door-searches-in-wuhan-as-coronavirus-rampages-on/

The latest we hear is that China has it "under control". If this is true, then soon the world will have a healthy China, while the rest are falling down sick, with hospitals overrun, dead piling up, etc etc. Did China already have an antidote? How did they control it so quickly?

The world's workers will increasingly turn to working from home, placing an increased reliance upon the internet and telecommunications in general.

Wouldn't this be a convenient time for a certain nation to attack another nation's internet? Or even for a certain nation to start a war, while everybody else is sick?

Or, at the very least, for the world's economies to crash and leave themselves open to control from a nation that has "3rd world" economic status but is in fact the world's most powerful.

Think about it.

Also, think about why their state-controlled company is so aggressive in getting a foothold in other country's telecommunications, even suing countries that have locked them out.

https://www.afr.com/companies/telecommunications/huawei-confirms-it-will-sue-us-government-20190307-h1c3r9

Why are they so desperate?

23 hours ago, Alpha said:

Curious, do people in Poland use bidets more than toilet paper? If I had to make a guess, toilet paper is probably only prevalent in countries where it's the common method to clean the butt.

Hehehe, I've not been in stores for 2 days now but still when I've been in sotres I have not  seen to many people . Toilet paper run out initially quickly but has been restocked fast. There was was shortage for bread for a short time. Right now I have at least one confirmed sick in my city and that might change a lot. Looking from my windows at city it look like deserted, only rarely peoples with dogs so people are probably scared and finally sitting at home. Shops were closed in sunday in my country but that's normal. Tomorrow we will see how much situation has changed my city.