Changes for MESSUI

Robert

The next release of MESSUI is expected to be 0.220 on or about the 25th of March. It will no longer contain all of MESS; it will be filtered to only contain systems that have been tested to work. The filtering will be done by source code, so even if only one system in that source works, all systems will be included.

Further filtering - the system must start up, with working screen and inputs. If the system requires a disk to boot with, a suitable disk must be included in the software list.

If the system has BASIC, then it will be included as long as I can type PRINT 123 and get the correct response.

If the system is a machine-language monitor or debugger, it must be able to produce readable output to a data dump command or similar (usually D command).

If the system is a trainer (usually just 6 LED digits), it must be able to respond as designed.

Systems that require mechanical attachments to work (car computers, washing machines, etc) will be omitted.

Systems that work but don't actually do anything will be omitted.

Some systems are quite complex - if it takes me more than a minute, and I haven't got anywhere, then it will be left out. I don't have all day.

Now, it's very likely I will make mistakes, usually because I don't understand a particular system, or just an oversight. All comments are welcome, especially if you know how to get something to work. Sometimes a system doesn't work because of a regression - but check with official MAME first.

The command-line version, mess64.exe, will continue to include all systems, working or not.