Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robert

ARCADE 0.212

Added back the slider saving. Strangely, the slider saving was working in MameUI, but the code had completely vanished from Arcade. Mystery. Anyway it's back and working.

I didn't add the frame-delay thing, because I have no idea what it is or why it would be needed. When it comes to these video enhancements, I have no clue or interest.

Since there was no answer on the sengoku2 problem, I investigated.

Found it was caused by a hack in video\neogeo.cpp

Removed this and changed everything back to standard Mame, and finally it works as it should.

I will *NOT* be adding back any neogeo video hack code unless you can PROVE there's an issue. I cannot see anything wrong with Mame's standard rendering.

Posted (edited)

There are a lot of games where official MAME raster implementation in NeoGeo is off by a couple of lines, e.g. Zed Blade, Garou, View Point intro logo, etc. etc.

If you can run a side-by-side with Zed Blade you'll immediately see what I mean in Level 1, where there are 3 different layers of scroll at different speed.

The hack code also "fixes" some bugs present on original hardware that are present in official MAME.

If you wish to remove all the modified code there's no problem, but say " I cannot see anything wrong with Mame's standard rendering " it's a bold claim. LOL.

Sengoku2 is a special case, where the wrong MAME implementation works as expected and the hacked code fails.

Edited by mamesick
  • Like 1

Neo-geo hack was to improve neo-geo original limitations/problems from start. It was not for fixing because we know that neo-geo emulation is very good and that limitation was correct.

Sengoku was the only game that "suffers" a bit from this improvement that's why this check was added I think. Correct me MameSick if I'm wrong.

Still it was nice to removed this limitation just like in plenty NES emulators are options to remove sprite limit. Maybe not accurate but was looking better and games were more playable this way.

frame_delay option was not meant to be added to ARCADE or MAMEUI. I simply posted entire diff file without removing not needed stuff. But for gamers that need lagless play I think is very usefull option anyway.

Yes, that hack check for Sengoku2 was added for that reason. It requires RASTER POSITION -1 instead of +1 like the vast majority on NeoGeo games.