Samurai Shodown 5 - bad or worst?

Agozer, SNK is dead - playmore just try to crap SNK's path ;

Yes, but consider this: Without Playmore, there would be no more Neo-Geo games being released. That would be much worse. :D

Edited by Agozer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but consider this: Without Playmore, there would be no more Neo-Geo games being released. That would be much worse.

Yeah! Thanks to playmore the neogeo universe still live in pretty good conditions!

I love this "old-style" games, they're feeling a lot 90s, I LOVE this feeling!

NeoGeo is the longest lived hardware ever! God save NeoGeo!

Thanks a lot to Playmore! :D

And my friends...please, Playmore more more more more more...and more!

Edited by deltaquad

Yes, but consider this: Without Playmore, there would be no more Neo-Geo games being released. That would be much worse.

Yeah! Thanks to playmore the neogeo universe still live in pretty good conditions!

I love this "old-style" games, they're feeling a lot 90s, I LOVE this feeling!

NeoGeo is the longest lived hardware ever! God save NeoGeo!

Thanks a lot to Playmore! :D

And my friends...please, Playmore more more more more more...and more!

After all the first Neo-Geo game was released in 1990 (NAM 1975).

I've been waiting for a sequal to sam4 eversince i got it for my NeoCD back in 96',and i have to say i'm a bit let down... right off the bat i noticed most of the backgrounds were just pallet swaps from sam3&4 with less animations, mind you there a couple of the old one that look a little better but still there still the same old backgrounds... a few of the new backgrounds actually do look good (like the red demon's stage and the last stage after the end boss uses his one special).

as for the new characters...is it me or do they seem a bit unbalanced? some of them are cool tho, but i would more have liked to see some of the older characters return... like Genan, Earthquake (it was cool to see him in SVC and i was hoping he'd turn up in sam5),Cham Cham, Wan fu etc...

Compared to a lot of newer new geo games like Garou, Rotd, SVC, and the newer KOF's, Sam5 just doesn't seem be of the same quality. Then you have the missing Arterial sprays, cut in halves and fatalities... is this game finished?? hmm seeing as the story mode only plays in japanese i'm hoping not. ..hoping this is just a early version of the game and not the final... as of now i would rather play samsho4,2 and even 3 over 5. although it's still a lot better than some of the older neo titles. i was just expecting a lot more

Question.. does anyone actually play as Gaira Caffeine??? He seems like such a boring chracter... just my opinion..

EvilGuy

Everything compared to Garou graphicswise is dull. :P

Even to this day, I find that Garou and King of Fighters 2001 are the best things SNK has ever put out. (But this doesn't diminish the younger Neo-Geo titles much.) For the record, Both Samurai Shodown 4 and 5 are cool...

You can't expect all the characters making a comeback.

"I've been waiting for a sequal to sam4 eversince i got it for my NeoCD back in 96"

What about Samurai Tamashii: Samurai Spirits, Samurai Spirits 2: Asura Zanmaden and Warriors Rage 1&2?

Regarding the BGs, simply put, virtually all they have done througout the entire series is recycle backgrounds, and believe it or not, this game is a graphical improvement over the previous titles.

Not all the characters could fit in the game with it still making sense, because it is a prequel set before the original Samurai Spirits games, with the exception of Basara, who was pulled through a portal to the past to continue killing demons.

Granted, there was a fair amount of laziness in the game, namely the new characters which are nothing more than edits of existing characters, Yumeji, Sankuro, and the "Rasetsu" characters which were created, though, I give most of those a pardon because they were intended to be similair in the first place.

Also, your "holy" SS4 wasn't that big of a jump over SS3.It introduced two new characters and some new story segments. And all but one or possbily two of the stages were originally from SS3.

And I don't see what's so special about arterial blood fountains and the (IMO) lame looking bisecting (seriously, it looked like they were hollow on the inside). If you think the removal of No Contest Moves and a bit of violence makes the game bad, you should be playing Mortal Kombat instead.

Oh, and Earthquake, Gen-An, Caffeine, Wan-Fu, and Seiger are ALL in the game. You'd know this if you played as Gaira.

You can't expect all the characters making a comeback.

Well, no, i don't expect all the characters making a comeback. A couple would have been nice though...

isn't this suppose to be a prequal? I would think there would be more older characters than ones that appeard in Ss 3&4. At least in Ss 4 Charlotte and Tam Tam were brought back... it was just something i was hoping for, seeing more of the older characters with the newer look...

What about Samurai Tamashii: Samurai Spirits, Samurai Spirits 2: Asura Zanmaden and Warriors Rage 1&2?

well mostly i was referring to a direct sequal on the neo geo, i know of the 3d versions. i heard they weren't the greatest but sadly i never got to play them myself... if you know a way i can play them emulated please let me know.

Also, your "holy" SS4 wasn't that big of a jump over SS3.It introduced two new characters and some new story segments. And all but one or possbily two of the stages were originally from SS3.

i can't disagree with you there.. ss4 wasn't a major leap, but it was a possitive step forward. And yes most of the stages had the same concept... but they weren't the same exact stages with different colors and less animations...

also ss3 came out in 95 and ss4 came out in 96 a whole year a part... ss5 finally comes out in 2003 and they put in ALL new stages?! (most of the newer ones i saw i did like. just wish they kept going with that idea even if they were redesigns of the older stages) i guess i just expected a lot more from a series i think so highly of, especially after 6-7 years.

And I don't see what's so special about arterial blood fountains and the (IMO) lame looking bisecting (seriously, it looked like they were hollow on the inside). If you think the removal of No Contest Moves and a bit of violence makes the game bad, you should be playing Mortal Kombat instead.

They were just part of the game. It felt grattifying pulling of the right sword swipe at the end of a tense battle (specially with a close rival friend of mine) having the game just pause for a second then have a gusher of blood poor out of the characters neck... no it wasn't super gory, the cut in halves were nothing super special.. but it was nice. most of em were done automatically if the right conditions were met.... and since were dealing with swords it was actually nice to see people get cut in half. to just remove them... seems wrong... there was no reason to remove them... it didn't make the game bad.. but it didn't make it any better either.. senless violence never hurt anyone <_<

in my opionion... it just doesn't seem the amount of effort was put into ss5 as other neo geo sequals and new fighters that recently came out, and that's very dissapointing. It's not a bad game, it just should have been better.

EVIL

Many of the complaints have merit. Yeah, I have to agree that overall it could have -- and should have -- been much better. I.e. more new backgrounds, more old favorites, etc.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they took out the fatalities...that's like a samsho tradition. Sure it doesn't have any impact on the gameplay itself, but it was a nice addition.

Despite all these, I do like some of the new charaters. (That dude with the seven swords reminds me of that sword collector in Kenshin.) And the whole meditation mode seems interesting; I dunno, have to tinker with it a bit more. But in some videos, I've seen it used to make some flashy comebacks. Yeah...I'm done.

Edited by Captain FuKu

I'm a huge fan of SS games....but.....

1- new characters are over powered and VERY cheezy.

2- No story except in japanese? the hell were they thinking?

3- i can understand them retaining their graphic style (much like the kof series did through minor modifications of the graphics) but having graphics that seem almost exactly the same don't help.

4- bust and slash gone... EXCEPT for a few characters? (i.e ratsumaru...etc) why?

5- boss, ok, zankuro was cheap.. but you still respected him, same with amakusa... but that boss in ss5? i was busy laughing at his morphing and stuff until i realized how impossibly CHEAP he is (let me put it this way, i can stay out of ANYONE's way with galford no matter how fast tehy are, but this guy... headache mania.)

6- the main reason they made two life bars in ss4 is so matches wouldn't end in 3 slashes... well now they do. (my sogetsu took out hanzo in 3 slashes)

7- plot holes like hell (if basara was sent back in time, why not the other time lines? ) and why didn't he just go and warn himself when he was sent back in time BEFORE he killed his wife and got killed by zankuro ?

all in all not a terrible game, but not an improvement over ss4 that i still LOVE playing.

I think it is awesome. I'm not a picky gamer so, I am easily satisfied unless it is total crap. My only problem really are that counters take off way too much health in the computer's favor. Oh, and the one Ukyo-like chick that plays like the best $hit. I have yet to beat her. <_<